leb304
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

European snow kite recommendations

Postby leb304 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:53 am

Hi people,

Looking for a bit of an adventure, 4 confident and experienced kite surfers, 3 or 4 kite skiing/snow kiting trips under our belts in Norway and turkey, plus messing about on Uk hills on the rare snow day...

Anyone point us in the right direction for some fun snow kiting/ random adventures and in short hop from the uk? Happy to ski tour or use lifts if not windy...

Would be late season around Easter most likely... failing that February...

T.I.A

Luke

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: European snow kite recommendations

Postby jyka » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:55 am

Varanger in north Norway is on my bucket list, it looks great: https://www.google.com/search?q=varange ... 7&biw=1920

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:58 am

Check this out:
https://www.pallaskiteweek.com/

Went there last winter and had a blast!

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Lelex, the French side.
Crozet, the Swiss side.
On the top HUGE area to snow kite board! :thumb:
https://letskite.ch/spots_snowkite/spot ... zet-lelex/
R H

ipavlov
Rare Poster
Gear: Flyserfer Speed4
Has thanked: 0

Postby ipavlov » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi,
I would recommend my home spot Vitosha. It is the mountain next to Sofia the capital of Bulgaria. You can sleep in Sofia and you would be 30-40 min drive + 15-40 min hike to the spot (depending on conditions). There is also a Gondola next to the outer ring road of the city. Or you could stay in one of the hotels in the mountain and save yourself the ride but staying in the city gives you access to the nightlife the capital has to offer.
Vitosha has a big plateau that you could shred all over. There are also a few chairlifts if the conditions are not good. You could also travel to Borovets which an hour away where you can find much more pistes (not suitable for kiting there).
A big advantage of Sofia is that it is cheap compared to other destinations in Europe.

You can have a look in the facebook group dedicated to snowkiting on Vitosha. There are a lot of videos and photos there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/164480680267397/
Also if you need any help on how to get to the spot or what is the forecast or current conditions, I am sure a lot of the members in the group would be glad to help.
These users thanked the author ipavlov for the post:
nEcKeL (Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Fightsurfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 85
Style: Freeride, with ATB and on Snow, Rideup
Gear: Kitefactory 2012 Maori, FS Peak4 5m, Fixed-Bride 4 Liners
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fightsurfer » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:34 pm

Hey,

I am looking for some place that has guaranteed snow (so like 1500-2000m) and that has regular Charlifts for regular Skiers:
I want to make some vaccations with friends, but still be able to take my Kite and shred a little bit in the Backcountry while they Ski.

The areas in Poland/Czech I checked out online are all quite low and have plenty of forest surrounding them, so Kiting does not seem possible.
The only other sutiable Area would be Austria/Germany/Swiss, because my friends dont want to travel too far.

Any recommendations in the northern Alps, where Charlift-Skiing and Kiting is possible next to each other?

Thanks

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 pm

Fightsurfer wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Hey,

I am looking for some place that has guaranteed snow (so like 1500-2000m) and that has regular Charlifts for regular Skiers:
I want to make some vaccations with friends, but still be able to take my Kite and shred a little bit in the Backcountry while they Ski.

The areas in Poland/Czech I checked out online are all quite low and have plenty of forest surrounding them, so Kiting does not seem possible.
The only other sutiable Area would be Austria/Germany/Swiss, because my friends dont want to travel too far.

Any recommendations in the northern Alps, where Charlift-Skiing and Kiting is possible next to each other?

Thanks
The only place that comes to my mind is la thuile / la rosiere at italian / french alps.

Return to “Travel”