Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Living fulltime in van with wet kiting gear

Postby Kozzie » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am

Hay all

Been living full time in a campervan i basic conversion now for a year.

Roof fan vent is a requirement as is a slatted bed due to mold etc

Waterproof seat covers

And secure storage cause expensive gear (under bed)

But issue i have had was my boots would take over a day to dry and i couldnt take them off and on board every session as i kite everyday and needed to store board securely under bed amongst kites and parachutes and other things that dont like getting wet.

Just curious what some of you guys who live fulltime in vehicle full kite gear have done or are doing

Ive found keeping kites in plastic storage tubs tho seems like a great idea its a pain in ass having to pull the tubs out open them then close them then slide back in then do again after session. For a weekend? NO PROBLEM wouldnt even notice it but for a year every day...... The simplicity in just pulling a kitebag out and throwing it back in ment putting the kites in tubs was a no go. Tho i do store bars harness in a open no lid plastic basket that i slide in and out from under the bed.

Theres a lot of things that work for just a weekend like suspending your kiteboard from the roof inside the van... Or even having it on the external roof. But for a fulltime vehicle living arrangement these things are just hugely impractical theft, living space time spent attaching/mounting gear etc

Now that i have had a full year getting used to living in a van im ready to design the interior as part of its final build so i would apreciate it if you guys have any tips or solutions for me/others

Downsizing in gear has become apparent and further condenceing what i actually use regularly or could go without.

I would also like thoughts or ideas on a drying set up. At moment using rope tied to van/nearby tree is very throwned apon and i would love a drying set up that would somehow leave my gear secure enough i could leave it out while i have a shower etc without fearing theft. Something on the roof perhaps that could be locked
Last edited by Kozzie on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Living fulltime in van with wet kiting gear

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:26 am

How big is ya van? I'm thinking of a thin vertical vented box like a skinny roof box standing on its end. Chuck the westie in it lock it up and drive away....

Kozzie
Medium Poster

Postby Kozzie » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:44 am

Its one of these
Maxi taxis
https://www.maxitaxis.co.nz/

I know skiiers and snowboarders have the lockable clamp down roof rack deals but im dealing with some serious uv damage where im at plums not to mention the crackheads vented wooden box lined with ableflex foam sounds like an idea tho... Just lob all the wet kit in there it drys on its own and more storage available in van... Might need to put some rock climbing holds on side van for easy access to the roof... I dont know all sounding like a bit of hard work and im allergic to that stuff
These users thanked the author Kozzie for the post:
longwhitecloud (Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 am)
Rating: 8.33%

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm

I would mount a box vertically on the rear door or roof, put vent holes in it and an exhaust fan. It would be big enough for wetsuit, board and last used wet kite. When dry enough transfer gear to inside...
Roof gives more real estate but a vertical box would be a good setup for drainage and ventilation with low intake and high exhaust. Could use marine deck plate to cover intake, mount from inside without fully drilling out the opening, just put a bunch of holes in it for air flow.

dave1986
Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby dave1986 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:17 pm

I store my kite equipment in a tow bar mounted box (see photo below). This keeps all wet gear out of the living space. The Thule bike carrier and Thule box allows you to access the tailgate door still.
The box is big enough for boards of length up to about 135cm length. I can comfortably fit board + 3 or 4 kites + harness + pump + wetsuit etc..
You can also carry 2 bikes like the photo below, but bikes restrict access to the box.
SmartSelect_20191210-141100_Photos.jpg
SmartSelect_20191210-141247_Photos.jpg

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:28 am

Kozzie wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am

i kite everyday and needed to store board securely under bed amongst kites and parachutes and other things that dont like getting wet.

Do you , jump out of airplanes, with that parachute ?

I carried a reserve on my Hang glider harness , ever since 1980 ;
the one time i tossed the damn thing, it didn't open ------------
had to pull it back in , and re-deploy ... ...
it opened 10-ft , before i hit the cliff, at Torrey Pines Ca.

Funny , all the Whiskey and pot i had , later that day ; nope
it had essentially NO effect on me !! :o --- :roll: --- :lol:

The Full story ; it's even More sad . :(

Bille

Kozzie
Medium Poster

Postby Kozzie » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:58 am

Hay billie

Something like 200 square meters of canopys in the van so bit of everything.

No hangys tho :P but kite/skydive/pg/miniwing rock climbing gear and traditional surfing gear aswell. By time all the sporting craps in theres enough room for me a fridge full of vodka and pickled fish and a few of construction tools just to reaffirm the polish stereotype a bit.

Everything lives in harmony except the wet wakeboard boots. Wetsuits quite happily hang on mirrors noones going to steal a old weesuit. But a 1.5k$ board with $900 boots attached to it... Shes gotto be kept under lock and key cant even take eyes off it really.

I think im going to keep a length of platic sheaves steel wire wrapped around bullbar thats padlocked. Then when i finish my session i can padlock the board to bullbar so it gets a bit of a dry. Then i will build a timber houseing that has the dimentions for the board base down boots up. Just slide it in and out no door etc and this means all the other nonsense can just be thrown ontop of this houseing/box......

Seems like alot of work for something im sure everyone has a trouble dealing with

Just to confirm something a twintip with regular footpads and straps drys very quickly maybe an hour in sun.... Wakeboots.... 5 hours still wet and i just dont have the time to be sitting in a hot carpark for that long everyday only to repeat the situation the next day.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Wakestyle Wingsurfer 4 LIfe : Sizes 2.3 , 3.5, 5, 6.2, 7.3 Foils: 823cm3 1023cm3 645cm3 Boards: 48L, 84L, 95L

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:46 am

Locked roof boxes can be very quick and very easy to get into. Had mine partly emptied just parked in town in the open in full daylight. That was the end of that.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post:
Kozzie (Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 pm)
Rating: 8.33%

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:10 am

wet kites and wet wetsuits are a pain in Pacific North West ... half a year of of damp, hard to get things dry.

A buddy had considered building some kind of dehumidifier box....put wet stuff in a sealed container where dehumidifier sucks out the water....everything gets dry, without excessive heat, etc. Dunno about designs and so on, just an idea.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 am

maybe I am being stupid...but maybe clean the boots with fresh water after your session! The salt keeps water and by removing the salty water your boots will actually dry sooner. You can also build some sort of fan blowing into the boots helping to move the air...

Return to “Travel”