Maui

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Maui

Postby skullcandy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:29 am

Hello Maui Friends and Aloha... haven't been on here in a while. Going to Maui for the first time next week. Staying near the airport area and renting a truck. Advanced twin tip /Mako wave rider looking for tips on where to go on both the ENE wind and S wind. Specifically looking for places that have a nice reef break (4-7 footers or so) to cruise around in waves, free ride style, launch of them, etc. Im aware of kite beach location near the airport, but any other spots of recommendation would be great. I know its off season for wind, but keeping my fingers crossed some shows up for a couple days to get some rides in.

Thanks in advance!
Aloha,
Greg

recoprianto
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kitebeach, Maui
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island, CA; La Ventana, Mexico; all of NE Brazil; Kite Beach, Maui
Style: Freeride
Gear: North Neo, North Dice, Custom Surf, North Team Series
Brand Affiliation: North USA team rider
Has thanked: 0

Re: Maui

Postby recoprianto » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Kanaha beach by the airport is best on NE winds. If South (Kona) winds, go to the south shore (Kihie). there are a couple of different kite launches, just look for other kites.

The forecast has very strong winds for the next 10 days. I hope you brought a 6m

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks for the info! I dont arrive until Dec 24. My smallest is an 8m.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eduardo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:02 am

There are a couple places that rent kites (and boards) in case you need a 6 or 5, which is common in Maui. But they will be gone early in the morning with a good forecast so don't be late... I only remember one 'adventure sports maui' but google should find 1 or 2 more for you. I don't want to start a religious war, but you might rent a true wave board and you will be rewarded in conditions like that. even if you crash every foot switch, you will get a taste. your sig says 'powered wave TT' (powered kite?) but the Maui waves have plenty of power so you can feel the wave power with little kite power.

Return to “Travel”