8m North Orbit
CrazyFly Raptor
CrazyFly Cruiser LW
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Heading to Shacks Beach Puerto Rico next week

Postby WindJunkieFL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:40 pm

Greetings

I'm taking a kite trip with some mates to Shacks Beach PR next week. The long term forecast is showing a nice east wind, I know there are also decent waves to enjoy (though I'm mainly a TT rider).

Has anyone stayed in Shacks Beach? How was it? I understand there is a reef and sealife to be aware of. Other than that, just looking to hear what other kiters have experienced in that area.

Cheers

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Re: Heading to Shacks Beach Puerto Rico next week

Postby skullcandy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Nice spot... Works best with NE or ENE trade winds. E will be marginal. Yes, beware of reef. If for some reason the wind in the North isnt working out for you, the South in Parguera or Guyama is nice. Mostly flat water and some fun waves to jump off on the outside. Enjoy!

You can also try Ocean Park in San Juan. This is my fav spot to land for a week or so. Usually consistent wind this time of year, Nice big rolling waves on the outer reef that are super fun to ride with a wave style twin tip. Lots of Air bnbs in ocean park with walking distance to bars and food. Nice kite seen. Friendly people at the local school there (wind Addicted Kite School). Nice launch area, etc. I actually prefer this spot over shacks. Its also a quicker drive to Guayama if wind blocked due to E in the North. I also like the waves on this reef better. But thats just me as I am a TT rider also in waves.
These users thanked the author skullcandy for the post:
WindJunkieFL (Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

WindJunkieFL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Jacksonville Beach
Favorite Beaches: Caye Caulker Belize
Sunshine Skyway Bridge Florida
Style: Free rider
Gear: 13m Cabrinha Contra
11m Cabrinha Switchblade
11m Cabrinha AV8
9m Cabrinha Velocity
8m North Orbit
CrazyFly Raptor
CrazyFly Cruiser LW
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby WindJunkieFL » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 pm

skullcandy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 pm
Nice spot...
Great info, thank you. I land at 2p, I'm thinking I might head straight to Ocean Park with my rental. My only concern is that I'll have a decent amount of valuable electronics when coming directly off the flight. From your experience, has Ocean Park been a safe place? I also don't speak a word of Spanish, hopefully I can make it by hah

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 am

WindJunkieFL wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:56 pm
skullcandy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 pm
Nice spot...
Great info, thank you. I land at 2p, I'm thinking I might head straight to Ocean Park with my rental. My only concern is that I'll have a decent amount of valuable electronics when coming directly off the flight. From your experience, has Ocean Park been a safe place? I also don't speak a word of Spanish, hopefully I can make it by hah
Yeah its pretty safe, but I dont go there will all of my electronics (ipad, etc). I usually leave my ipad/laptop in my air bnb and only bring my iphone and bose speaker in my kite bag and close to all the other kite gear of everyone else. You may want to consider renting an air bnb just for the day as luggage storage. Ive done that before. The $75-$100 can be worth the piece of mind to get a solid 2-4 hour session in when you have all your shit with you. Dont worry about Spanish. Everyone speaks English there.

Return to “Travel”