Forum for travel reports and travel questions
- Very Frequent Poster
- Posts: 626
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 am
- Kiting since: 2009
- Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
- Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
- Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
- Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
- Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
- Location: Charleston, SC
Ok, so I'm looking at going somewhere in February next year for my 40th. I'm an experienced kiter - 12 years or so and basically only ride strapless surf and foil. I'm mainly interested in finding surf (goofy-footed, so trades on the south side would be on my frontside). I'll travel with gear.
Barbados has everything I want, surf if the wind is off, good wind stats, waves on my frontside, etc. I'd maybe hop over to Union Island as well just because it looks pretty cool and I'm sure JT can find me some waves.
Anegada in the BVI's has my interest though for a few reasons.
1. I used to travel in the USVI and BVI's a bit and love it down there.
2. I can fly into St. Thomas on points and hop over, although it's pretty expensive once there.
3. It's beautiful and not quite as busy as Barbados.
Anegada has no islands blocking it to the north, so there should be waves on the reef, and most have said there generally are. I've talked to the kite school down there and he said the same, although I mostly only see people on twintips in videos, etc. from there.
I'd probably spend a few nights on Tortola to surf a bit.
- Medium Poster
- Posts: 139
- Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:31 pm
- Kiting since: 2000
- Local Beach: Buck Island, Long Bay East, Nanny Cay, Anegada, all in the British Virgin Islands
- Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Hape Hatteras, North Carolina
Anegada, British Virgin Island
- Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
- Gear: Wainman (RIP)...next ONKiteboarding?
Well....as a person living in the BVI I'd recommend going to Barbados/Union, but probably only cause I've never been and it always sounds and looks appealing.
That being said Anegada is an awesome place to kite. Don't worry about only seeing twin tips in the waves as there are not many riders here that ride surfboards...in fact there are probably more foilers. Kiting in Tortola is also pretty good, but I recommend you get in touch with the local scene as some of the spots are only available for certain wind directions and others can be a bit difficult to navigate to. And don't forget Virgin Gorda...the north sound also gets unobstructed winds and the scenery is very nice
Cheers and if you head down this way drop me a line...always fun to kite with new friends!
- These users thanked the author nherbold for the post:
- adamj2281 (Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:42 pm)
Return to “Travel”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests