Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Barbados/Union Island or Anegada/Tortola

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Barbados/Union Island or Anegada/Tortola

Postby adamj2281 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:26 am

Ok, so I'm looking at going somewhere in February next year for my 40th. I'm an experienced kiter - 12 years or so and basically only ride strapless surf and foil. I'm mainly interested in finding surf (goofy-footed, so trades on the south side would be on my frontside). I'll travel with gear.

Barbados has everything I want, surf if the wind is off, good wind stats, waves on my frontside, etc. I'd maybe hop over to Union Island as well just because it looks pretty cool and I'm sure JT can find me some waves.

Anegada in the BVI's has my interest though for a few reasons.

1. I used to travel in the USVI and BVI's a bit and love it down there.
2. I can fly into St. Thomas on points and hop over, although it's pretty expensive once there.
3. It's beautiful and not quite as busy as Barbados.

Anegada has no islands blocking it to the north, so there should be waves on the reef, and most have said there generally are. I've talked to the kite school down there and he said the same, although I mostly only see people on twintips in videos, etc. from there.

I'd probably spend a few nights on Tortola to surf a bit.

Any thoughts?

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: Barbados/Union Island or Anegada/Tortola

Postby nherbold » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Well....as a person living in the BVI I'd recommend going to Barbados/Union, but probably only cause I've never been and it always sounds and looks appealing.
That being said Anegada is an awesome place to kite. Don't worry about only seeing twin tips in the waves as there are not many riders here that ride surfboards...in fact there are probably more foilers. Kiting in Tortola is also pretty good, but I recommend you get in touch with the local scene as some of the spots are only available for certain wind directions and others can be a bit difficult to navigate to. And don't forget Virgin Gorda...the north sound also gets unobstructed winds and the scenery is very nice

Cheers and if you head down this way drop me a line...always fun to kite with new friends!
These users thanked the author nherbold for the post:
adamj2281 (Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Travel”