Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil spots near Cadiz, Spain?

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:32 pm

Anyone know any good foil spots in or near Cadiz, closer than Tarifa? This is for a trip scheduled in September, so hopefully things should be opened up again by then.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Re: Foil spots near Cadiz, Spain?

Postby GTC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 am

Do you mean Cadiz city?
I lived there for 5 years so here are my recommended spots:

Cádiz city. Long (4km) and wide beach. Works nice with S, SW, W, NW. You can also kite with E just in front of the bay (between Cádiz and San Fernando)... expect "clean" offshore wind with flat water and great waves but kite at your own risk.

Caños de meca. Best spot so far and amazing beach. Only works with Levante (E) and it is usually lighter than Tarifa (about 10-15 knots). Consider it when there's nuclear Levante in Tarifa (+40kt).

Rota. When Levante (E) is extreme in Tarifa or Caños this is the best spot. Wind will be significantly lighter and totally onshore. It's inside the bay so no waves, just some choppy. To get there from Cádiz you have to surround the US military base (which is huge).

Hope it helps!
These users thanked the author GTC for the post:
tkaraszewski (Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil spots near Cadiz, Spain?

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 pm

GTC wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:41 am
Do you mean Cadiz city?
I lived there for 5 years so here are my recommended spots:

Cádiz city. Long (4km) and wide beach. Works nice with S, SW, W, NW. You can also kite with E just in front of the bay (between Cádiz and San Fernando)... expect "clean" offshore wind with flat water and great waves but kite at your own risk.

Caños de meca. Best spot so far and amazing beach. Only works with Levante (E) and it is usually lighter than Tarifa (about 10-15 knots). Consider it when there's nuclear Levante in Tarifa (+40kt).

Rota. When Levante (E) is extreme in Tarifa or Caños this is the best spot. Wind will be significantly lighter and totally onshore. It's inside the bay so no waves, just some choppy. To get there from Cádiz you have to surround the US military base (which is huge).

Hope it helps!
Thanks for this! Good to know you can kite right at the beach at Cadiz City!

Return to “Travel”