Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My experience kiting in Colombia for almost 3 months

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My experience kiting in Colombia for almost 3 months.

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:22 am

daspi wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:13 pm
Thank you so much flyboy! Your report about wind and waves for Salinas del Ray sounds fabulous. I've just ordered a 6m last minute. Now I pray it will arrive before I leave. I will be sure to report back while there or after I get back. So stoked now.
I hope you have a good time! I'll be interested to hear about your experiences.

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Re: My experience kiting in Colombia for almost 3 months

Postby daspi » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:43 pm

As I was packing I was re-thinking wetsuit options for this trip. How about it? Really no one wearing a wetsuit? I feel I want the sun protection, plus >30kn wind speed would probably cool you down no matter how hot it is. Please share what you guys were wearing and how it felt. Shorty is in the bag for now. If rash guards, did you wear anything to protect legs? Knees can burn up pretty good if you kite every day in board shorts. I usually travel with a 2mm long suit just because of the sun impact. I am strapped for space in the luggage so not going to bring it most likely. Probably way overthinking this trip but can't help it, LOL.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:54 pm

daspi wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:43 pm
As I was packing I was re-thinking wetsuit options for this trip. How about it? Really no one wearing a wetsuit? I feel I want the sun protection, plus >30kn wind speed would probably cool you down no matter how hot it is. Please share what you guys were wearing and how it felt. Shorty is in the bag for now. If rash guards, did you wear anything to protect legs? Knees can burn up pretty good if you kite every day in board shorts. I usually travel with a 2mm long suit just because of the sun impact. I am strapped for space in the luggage so not going to bring it most likely. Probably way overthinking this trip but can't help it, LOL.
It's very hot there. No wet suits except the odd very pale weirdo looking for protection from the sun. :wink:

Pana
Frequent Poster
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:23 am

Just my 2 cents here guys so you get expectations straight.

Was in Salinas 2 years ago early Feb.for a couple of weeks. It varied from very good to absolutely awfull depending on conditions. When the wind and big waves are present the spot offers a fair amount of space, but not when the waves are small. When less windy with small 1 m waves everybody is in the same spot behind the point; beginners & courses, the local show offs who like to jump, all tourists just freeriding and wave riders ….. with absolutely no consideration / knowledge of wave riding priority. On those days it can be very very frustrating to ride the point, saw several kites get mixed up and a couple of nasty arguments on the beach.

Said otherwise there is just about no local ‘organisation’ of the spot, it was a free for all on bad days, the worst spot i have ridden in my life. I think week ends are the worse. When crowded or light it is worth trying other spots. I do not think things have gotten better now that wings are of the party.

This said I will return this year for a final judgment, but with limited expectations and the intention to not go in the bay (just behind the point) on small waves / lower wind days. I just hope it is nuking with 2m plus waves, then the spot opens up.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:00 am

Pana wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:23 am
Just my 2 cents here guys so you get expectations straight.

Was in Salinas 2 years ago early Feb.for a couple of weeks. It varied from very good to absolutely awfull depending on conditions. When the wind and big waves are present the spot offers a fair amount of space, but not when the waves are small. When less windy with small 1 m waves everybody is in the same spot behind the point; beginners & courses, the local show offs who like to jump, all tourists just freeriding and wave riders ….. with absolutely no consideration / knowledge of wave riding priority. On those days it can be very very frustrating to ride the point, saw several kites get mixed up and a couple of nasty arguments on the beach.

Said otherwise there is just about no local ‘organisation’ of the spot, it was a free for all on bad days, the worst spot i have ridden in my life. I think week ends are the worse. When crowded or light it is worth trying other spots. I do not think things have gotten better now that wings are of the party.

This said I will return this year for a final judgment, but with limited expectations and the intention to not go in the bay (just behind the point) on small waves / lower wind days. I just hope it is nuking with 2m plus waves, then the spot opens up.
I was there for January two years ago - so just before you arrived. I didn't find it particularly crowded. Yes, you need to time your entry into the "line up", but not worse than many other comparable spots in the world. I think the unusual thing about Salinas Del Rey is how the waves go from quite small to quite big simply when the wind increases 5 - 10 knots. If you can get to Puerto Valero there are miles of shoreline with nobody there & lots of waves - although they are not clean point break waves like at Salina del Rey on a good day.
Last edited by Flyboy on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pana
Frequent Poster
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:10 am

Flyboy, i’ve kited several known busy wave spots (Barbados, Cabarete, Brasil) and I am used to having to take my turn in the lineup. Salinas had no lineup on low days, just havock with multiple users not respecting priorities with conflicting interests. On those days it was very bad. Just to mention it can get very good but also can be quite frustrating, it is not paradise. Once you know this you won’t be surprised, that’s all.
These users thanked the author Pana for the post:
daspi (Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

daspi
Frequent Poster

Postby daspi » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:48 pm

Fair enough remarks. Thanks for the heads up folks. Probably healthy to limit expectations a bit and just see how it goes. I can always go to other places if too frustrating. We will rent a car. Any input on car and driving in Colombia?

aweeks
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 135
Local Beach: travel worldwide to kite
Favorite Beaches: blue lagoon, sinai
Style: freeride
Gear: north reach. xenon 2011 infra
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aweeks » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:42 am

i’m looking at mayapo and cabo de la vela in a week or so.
hopefully staying a few weeks minimum if the area keeps my attention. if you’re there too can be friends

EddietheEagle wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:45 pm
Thanks for the great info, it sounds like a great trip along the coast and a variety of spots and conditions.

If I have a rental car, can I drive all the way to Cabo and onwards to Punta Gallinas? Or is that not possible / not safe? I would bring my own gear and SB and using public transport / buses seems like a hassle.. any tips or advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:53 pm

Pana wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:10 am
Flyboy, i’ve kited several known busy wave spots (Barbados, Cabarete, Brasil) and I am used to having to take my turn in the lineup. Salinas had no lineup on low days, just havock with multiple users not respecting priorities with conflicting interests. On those days it was very bad. Just to mention it can get very good but also can be quite frustrating, it is not paradise. Once you know this you won’t be surprised, that’s all.
All I can say is that I didn't find it a problem. When it's on, go outside & time your run to the point. It's a long wave when it's breaking However, "paradise' is definitely isn't! When it's big the water is a bit murky & with scattering of floating logs.

daspi
Frequent Poster

Postby daspi » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:56 pm

My apologies for not reporting back earlier. I was in Colombia Jan 13 to Feb 5. Great trip. Salinas del Ray, Santa Veronica was really my favorite place to be. We traveled up the coast up to Mayapo too. We enjoyed a day at Santa Martha on the way as tourists but there is no kiting. Next day we went to Riohacha and visited Mayapo just north of it. Nice beach with much nicer
Caribbean like water. No real waves, just chop. After a day we were done with the spot, sorry. To me Santa Veronica offers much more in regards to kiting and waves. Water is brownish most of the time. Kind of ugly to get used to. It did get a bit better as the days went on. Seems to be the wash off from Magdalene River. You can see it well on satellite pictures. We took a trip down to Cartagena, what a beautiful old city. Definitely worth a visit. We flew in to Barranquilla and rented a car. Turned out to be great to have access to a car.

We ended up kiting most of our days right from the beach in Santa Veronica. Unfortunately the recent erosion washed away most of the beach. It's not easy to get out. Many chose to go over to Salinas del Ray where setup is much easier but it can get pretty busy. What was reported here before is mostly what I experienced. Visitors from all areas of the world make for an interesting mix of egos on the water. Not as bad as South Africa, not as crowded as Sal. You can avoid the crowds. In front of Santa Veronica you have a good mile of space with not many riders playing with the waves. Waves are not the best I've seen but fun enough to have a great time. Waves swing around the tip at Salinas and you get a bit cleaner swell like waves. No wetsuit needed. Not even for me. I never ride without it, but here I did. 85F air and water is a dream. I could have arrived with just my 7m Neo and never missed a day. I think I pumped the 9m twice. First day for 10 minutes and at Mayapo to ride a twin tip. Wind dependability and consistency is among he best. Wind every day. Wind for my 7m every day.

Santa Veronica is basically all dirt roads with tons of bumps and holes. Stick to the main road leading into town. This one is initially paved. You will be driving slower than walking, it's that bad in places. Lot's of building going on. I think they smelled the potential business that can be had with the kite community. It will get busier I'm sure. It's still pretty much in the raw right now. GKA just finished. Now it's on the map as top kite spot. Not sure what will happen over the next few years. Glad I went and experienced it as it is now.

Thank you guys here for the heads up. It made planning for it easier.
These users thanked the author daspi for the post:
Eduardo (Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Travel”