Weight: 78
Local Beach: Atlit, Nahariya Betzet
Favorite Beaches: Blue Lagoon, Dahab
Gear: North Orbit 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Flat water family spot (Greece, Cyprus)

Postby Jeb » Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am

Hi everyone. I'm planning a kitesurfing vacation with my family (wife and two kids - 4 & 0.5 years).
I'm looking for a spot with flat water somewhere in Greece or Cyprus but because of the family I also need comfortable living conditions (preferably next to the spot).
I'd really appreciate your help in choosing the right spot. Thanks!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Flat water family spot (Greece, Cyprus)

Postby Havre » Sun May 31, 2020 11:40 am

Prasonisi is flat on the offshore side.

But wouldn't recommend staying next to the spot with a family. So it would require driving to the spot.

Paros is choppy, but you could probably find a family friendly place quite close to the kite spot(s).
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
Jeb (Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm) • Delta99 (Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Sun May 31, 2020 3:58 pm

Most spots in Greece are either flat or choppy, no "real" waves there. But the wind is super reliable and strong in summer.

To combine family and kiting, I can recommend the island of Naxos. The spot (Mikri Vigla) is relatively choppy, but beautiful scenery, you can rent all kinds of acomodation (good infrastructure) on/ close to the spot and there is a stunning, wind protected beach on the leeward side of the Mikri Vigla Peninsula within walking distance of the spot and most acomodations for the family.
The island is also very nice, plenty of other activities that you can do with the family. And if you are bored kiting in Naxos, Paros is just a 30min ferry ride away, easy for a day trip.
Wind: Make sure you take a 7 and a 9m, those are the most used kite there in July/ August..

Greece is great :-)
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post (total 2):
Leon van Bergen (Sun May 31, 2020 4:41 pm) • Jeb (Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 pm

I went to Lefkada last year. Lots of lovely spots in the North. You can stay near one of the spots but you do get some waves there but regular wind in early August when we were there. Rode 9 and 14m in the afternoons. The other spots need a car but are spectacular. PM me if you want more details and photos. 👍
These users thanked the author apollo4000 for the post:
Jeb (Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun May 31, 2020 10:30 pm

Jeb wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am
(preferably next to the spot).
I think this is most important with little kids. Otherwise, when you drive, it can be tough to align schedules of naps, eating, ... with wind and having them happy at the beach as long as you want to stay. I suggest Kremasti, Rhodes. There are beach front hotels with pools right there so they will be happy while you kite and you'll be very close. New Golden Beach, Paros is a similar setup and the beach is a little nicer.
These users thanked the author Eduardo for the post:
Jeb (Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:20 pm)

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:30 am

Eduardo wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:30 pm
Jeb wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am
(preferably next to the spot).
I think this is most important with little kids. Otherwise, when you drive, it can be tough to align schedules of naps, eating, ... with wind and having them happy at the beach as long as you want to stay. I suggest Kremasti, Rhodes. There are beach front hotels with pools right there so they will be happy while you kite and you'll be very close. New Golden Beach, Paros is a similar setup and the beach is a little nicer.
Wise words. Happy kids, happy partner, maybe kiting if lucky

Jeb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 78
Local Beach: Atlit, Nahariya Betzet
Favorite Beaches: Blue Lagoon, Dahab
Gear: North Orbit 11/9
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jeb » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone for responding! I've been to Rhodes, passed by Kremasti and I think there were some little waves there, because it's side shore. As for Prasonisi it's a lovely spot with waves from one side and flat-to-choppy water on the offshore side + hotel 300m from the beach. I stayed there for 5 days, but almost without wind (end of season). From what I can tell it's less suitable for families, both the rooms and the beach.
So I guess I'll keep Rhodes as the last option in case I don't find anything else.

Naxos looks spectacular, at least on this video:

Also a wind protected beach is a very nice bonus. How crowded is the spot? How do you get there? A lot of hassle?

Lefkada looks astonishing, these huge spaces are crazy:

However, I couldn't spot any on-spot-accommodations there. Are there any? Also, from what I saw on the video there is a place with flat water. Has anyone been there?

zlatko23
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 70
Favorite Beaches: Keros(Limnos)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5m², Ozone Enduro V3 7/11m²&V4 9m², CrazyFly Raptor LTD, Appletree Malus Domestica 5'1"

Postby zlatko23 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:39 pm

@Jeb
Lefkada is a nice place, spots are great, thermal winds come around 13-14 o'clock. Unfortunately there no on-spot-accommodations that I know of. The closest you can be from any of the spots is at least 1km. You need a car to travel back-forth.
The spot with the flat water is Agios Nikolaos(which is on the mainland, 5-6km from the bridge connecting the island), there is lagoon that you get into. You can kite in the sea, that go to the lagoon and back again. The spot is about 1km from the village Agios Nikolaos where you can get accommodation.
In Levkas city there are many place to rent, but again closest spot is Milos beach, which is gain at minimum 1km away.
Good luck! :)

PS. Haha - in the Lefkada video you posted at 00:46 I can see myself walking on the sand with some friends carrying our gear! :o
That was 2017!
These users thanked the author zlatko23 for the post:
Jeb (Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:24 pm

I have been to Lefkada. I totally lucked out and had about 1/2 afternoon of wind of about 14 knots and mostly less than 11 knots during my week. There are 2 flat water spots but neither work as reliably as the main beach. AlwaysWindy - the kite school have a detailed set of maps to show where the spots are. I went to see if this could be a family place - but whilst there is enough to do to keep a non kitesurfing partner happy (and didn't mind only going out in the afternoon), everything is a fair drive away so probably not so great with children.

I liked Limnos as a destination better. Its not thermal winds so probably (I got way more wind when I went) less reliable. I stayed in one of the watersports complexes and then drove across the island to the kite spot (about 35 minutes) on my own as the family were entertained already. There is a kite camp at the kite spot but you are pretty remote from shops and restaurants. I'd rather drive to kite and stay near the town personally. Water is only flat at the top of the bay but the downside is that the wind is gusty where the water is flat.

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Jeb wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Naxos looks spectacular, at least on this video:

Also a wind protected beach is a very nice bonus. How crowded is the spot? How do you get there? A lot of hassle?
Avoid August, it is very crowded, you can kite only early in the morning. But the beach for your family (wind protected 2 mins distance) is spectacular. Also very good food and nice houses at sound prices.
As a rule avoid all Greece at August, it is very expensive and crowded cause it is peak season.
I'd like to clarify that because of covid 19 situation this might not be the case this year.

Return to “Travel”