Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Europe from mid-September to mid-October (warm place)

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
chickenl00p
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 72
Gear: LF envy 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Europe from mid-September to mid-October (warm place)

Postby chickenl00p » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:25 pm

thanks guys, tough decision! I'll let you know what we choose and do a post after the trip. Happy kiting:) !

topofan
Rare Poster
Weight: 67
Local Beach: Larnaca Cyprus
Gear: looking to buy some gear

Postby topofan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:51 pm

Has Paros more wind than Cyprus? I would guess it's about equal, or am I wrong?

chickenl00p
Rare Poster
Weight: 72
Gear: LF envy 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chickenl00p » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 pm

unfortunately, no trip for time being - injury and covid hitting harder in Europe. Anyway, thanks for help and all your suggestions!

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:27 pm

Toby wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 pm
unnuhi wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:59 pm
I would recommend Sicilia. I was there several days on October two years ago and it was pretty windy and very warm (in comparison with Brittany). Food is amazing and pretty cheap.
How windy did it get?
Never see videos or pictures of really good wind (20+). So would be good to learn more about from people who have been.

I was there once in May, 2017. Out of 10 or 11 days I did NOT kited 2 of them - 1 was no wind, 2nd just to have some rest. Other than that - windy all the time (I mean in afternoons when thermics kicks in).
If forecast there show 11-13 knots from north - it will rather be somewhere between 17-21knts (if sunny), since thermic is strong there. Huge lagoon, super flat, perfect for tricks / big air etc.

BUT
if that place was that windy all the time - it would be European capital of kiting, so it cannot be that windy. My friend was there just this year, beginning of September approx, and she said that they had 1.5 windy days out of 9.

Also, the town at the lagoon is.... to be politically correct just not a place with a lot of fun. You better stay in Trapani or Marsala if you need some decent dining or bars. Wasn't big problem for me since it was windy when I was there, but, in case it's not windy, I wouldn't like to stay there.
Last edited by rw30 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author rw30 for the post:
Toby (Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:33 pm

chickenl00p wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:41 pm
unfortunately, no trip for time being - injury and covid hitting harder in Europe. Anyway, thanks for help and all your suggestions!
I stayed in Tarifa for 5 weeks, end of August till beginnings of October. First two weeks (I was off, on holidays) was no wind maybe 1 or 2 days. Then I was working, so could only kite in the evenings & weekends - still had 4 kiting days / week on average, could be more but I needed some rest too.
CoVid? I stayed in hostel with shared rooms / bathrooms / kitchen (Tarifa Kite Hostel, highly recommended if you don't mind hostels), ppl arriving & leaving all the time, many coming from Madrid (that is currently on coVid lockdown ) for weekends - no cases of Covid during my 5... actualy 5 1/2 weeks stay. They say there was one at the end of August, just before I arrived, but I dunno the details.

People were saying it's not necessarily that windy each September, but this year was just great.

Return to “Travel”