Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where would you go? You've got 4 months (Dec-Mar) and a sailboat and start from Tortola, BVI.

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Where would you go? You've got 4 months (Dec-Mar) and a sailboat and start from Tortola, BVI.

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm trying to find the best spots in the Caribbean. I've got lots of time and can get to out-of-the-way places with the boat. Caveats are that I primarily foil, so super-shallow water isn't a selling point. Big open semi-flat (but not necessarily butter-smooth) places are ideal. Also, the keel on the boat is about 5ft/1.5m deep, so that's a similar restriction. !0-20 knots is perfect. I'm bringing my wife and kids so pretty beaches and places to explore are nice, but it's the Caribbean so there's lots of that. I'll need to be able to do some online work, so need to be close enough to internet much of the time, but cellular internet will be fine.

Where would you go? Established spots? Scout for new spots? Spots that are only accessible by boat?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Re: Where would you go? You've got 4 months (Dec-Mar) and a sailboat and start from Tortola, BVI.

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:18 pm

oh man. Lucky you! I personally wouldnt worry too much about specific kite destinations, you will have better remote spots accessible to you by sailboat just about every day than anything thats an "established kite spot". From Tortola I would think the obvious thing to do is head south along the chain through the french antilles. Not sure how big your boat is... 4 months is a good long time. Youll be wanting to get off the boat quite a bit. Now with covid who knows what the entry regs will be like in each place, that will turn into a lot of research for sure. good luck, goood winds, really all I can say is I wish it was me who started this topic !

kingrat84
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: tarifa, tobago
Has thanked: 0

Re: Where would you go? You've got 4 months (Dec-Mar) and a sailboat and start from Tortola, BVI.

Postby kingrat84 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm

It's quite a way from BVI but nothing beats anchoring in Tobago Cays in the Grenadines for a couple of days (or weeks) - also from January its the best bet windwise. Los roques is also spectacular but will probably still be closed.

Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none

Postby Grizwald » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:57 pm

As Greenturtle said you really need to check the entry regulations. All the islands have some sort of quarantine regulations that range from inconvenient to draconian. Up until recently Grenada required 2 weeks quarantine on the hook with all supplies coming from a designated vendor. I hear Trinidad is still closed, but that is hearsay.
Also keep in mind sargassum. That can destroy a lot of the small windward anchorages. We were in Martinique 2 years ago and most of the bays on the east coast were so full that in addition to fouling engines the smell and flies were unbearable.

Return to “Travel”