kct
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None

SW Florida November until January

Postby kct » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Heading to Sarasota to visit parents and get some childcare help during WFH. What should I know about the wind?

I'm still pretty new and looking for beginner friendly spots. Lido and Venice Beach seem to be the main places to go unless you drive to Fort DeSoto.

LL2017
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: SW Florida November until January

Postby LL2017 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 pm

That's a great time to go..Will have fun wind, cold fronts bring 15-25 mph, occasionally higher but not as common, waters not too cold (I usually kite in a 3/2 but some days deeper in winter wish I had a little thicker). North Lido Beach is a good spot (look on googlemaps and search 1-85 John Ringling Blvd Parking), big open beach area where people set up/launch and the water is calm. Fort DeSoto is great too you can pretty much kite on any wind direction and it's all flat water. Depending on the wind direction you'll see people just off the side of the skyway bridge or on Fort DeSoto, if theres wind there will be people out.

kct
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Ok great!

Also how do I find out about regulations? Here in Los Angeles there are only a few beaches where kiting hasn't been banned yet but I'm getting the impression that most Florida beaches are no problem.

LL2017
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby LL2017 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

I'm not aware of any beaches in that area that it's banned. If you're still relatively new I would stick with going out where other kiters are anyway but if theres rideable wind you'll see people at those spots. I'm not familiar with kiting at Venice Beach FYI.

Return to “Travel”