kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None

SW Florida November until January

Postby kct » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:36 pm

Heading to Sarasota to visit parents and get some childcare help during WFH. What should I know about the wind?

I'm still pretty new and looking for beginner friendly spots. Lido and Venice Beach seem to be the main places to go unless you drive to Fort DeSoto.

LL2017
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Re: SW Florida November until January

Postby LL2017 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 pm

That's a great time to go..Will have fun wind, cold fronts bring 15-25 mph, occasionally higher but not as common, waters not too cold (I usually kite in a 3/2 but some days deeper in winter wish I had a little thicker). North Lido Beach is a good spot (look on googlemaps and search 1-85 John Ringling Blvd Parking), big open beach area where people set up/launch and the water is calm. Fort DeSoto is great too you can pretty much kite on any wind direction and it's all flat water. Depending on the wind direction you'll see people just off the side of the skyway bridge or on Fort DeSoto, if theres wind there will be people out.

kct
Medium Poster

Postby kct » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Ok great!

Also how do I find out about regulations? Here in Los Angeles there are only a few beaches where kiting hasn't been banned yet but I'm getting the impression that most Florida beaches are no problem.

LL2017
Rare Poster

Postby LL2017 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:20 pm

I'm not aware of any beaches in that area that it's banned. If you're still relatively new I would stick with going out where other kiters are anyway but if theres rideable wind you'll see people at those spots. I'm not familiar with kiting at Venice Beach FYI.

kct
Medium Poster

Postby kct » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:53 am

Wow that sounds pretty awesome. Couple more questions if you don't mind:

I'm looking at the wind history on ikitesurf and it's at various times of the day. In Southern California we get thermal winds which don't really get going until the afternoon but in Florida it looks like you can get kiting in the morning, right?

When the wind is out of the east do you just kite in the bays?

LL2017
Rare Poster

Postby LL2017 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:16 pm

On a day to day basis we don't really get rideable winds, it's usually when a cold front comes in and then it can be windy for days. So depending on if a front is passing through you can definitely kite in the morning as well. In the summer we get more of those thermal winds in the afternoon but not so much this time of the year. Check out this website they have some different spots with good wind directions. If you're ocean side and it's blowing off shore I usually head to Fort Desoto/Skyway area. http://kiteboardingstpetersburg.com/lau ... ast-beach/

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:08 am

On occasion we can get warm fronts that will bring strong, warm southerly winds, sometimes prior to a cold front. Or unusual weather patterns like what we have now - high pressure to the north and low pressure to the south which has brought us easterly winds. I heard we are in a la nina weather pattern, so who knows what November - January will be like.

Return to “Travel”