Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sao Miguel do Gostoso, RN, Brasil - wind?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Sao Miguel do Gostoso, RN, Brasil - wind?

Postby rw30 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am

hi guys,

I'm still researching for my kiting destination post-christmas. Options #1 & #2, Vietnam & Philippines, are closed and doesn't seem likely they'll open anytime soon, so I pass on them.

everyone says South Africa seems great, but, because of inconvenient time difference for me ( I will be 2 weeks maybe on holidays, but the rest of the time I'll be combining kiting with working & I have to work more-or-less London's business hours), doesn't seem to be good option for me. Also, anything more to the West that GMT -3HRS (which is just Fortaleza time) is just inconvenient too (so that takes out CostaRica or Mexico ) , since that would mean I'd need start working in the middle of the night (2-4AM), which makes everything a big hassle.

Which leaves me with:
*CaboVerde - reliable wind Jan - April, not expensive
.... and not much more

BUT

in couple places I have read that wind still shall be good in San Miguel do Gostoso area in Brasil (many commercial / schools websites say it shall be good there even till March!). Unfortunately, in the same time there are very little reviews / blogs from ppl who actually went there, yet alone in period I ask about, so I'm not sure what's actually the situation there.
So, after this long introduction to the case, eventually comes the question:

* Have any of you been to San Miguel? What are the winds there (especially asking for post-xmass period, but anything helps)? Is it really as good for kitesurfing as some websites claim? Is Galinhos spot really as good as some people say?
Also, is internet any good in that area? some research in internet say it's 4G there through mobile connection (that's more than enough for me), that true? I'd work remotely from my laptop, so that's a must & I don't want to fully rely on local WiFi, coz if it fails, I'm in trouble.

or, the side question: what is Western Ceara like post - christmass? can I still hope for some good kiting in that period or it's rather a lottery, and may be good but bad as well & not worth risking?

well, that's it. Thanks in advance for any help, cheers

P.S. I'm 92kgs rider, have switch Element 14M so anything from 16-17knots (on flat), or 18-19knots (on open sea) makes me happy

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Sao Miguel do Gostoso, RN, Brasil - wind?

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 am

There are several places in Brazil that will have wind.

Personally I don’t know then but heard that e.g. Rio has its main season in January. Right in Rio you find ocean riding, and a huge lagoon up the coast for flat water.

Look up the spots section of kiteforum and find more spots and when the wind is up...there should be tons.

Ceara can be hit or miss from January on. Could be daily, could be few days per week...depends all on the rain.

But then Jeri or ilha do Guajiru will have better winds.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
rw30 (Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Costa Rica also has good wind that time of year

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LeoLeal » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:40 pm

rw30 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am
hi guys,

I'm still researching for my kiting destination post-christmas. Options #1 & #2, Vietnam & Philippines, are closed and doesn't seem likely they'll open anytime soon, so I pass on them.

everyone says South Africa seems great, but, because of inconvenient time difference for me ( I will be 2 weeks maybe on holidays, but the rest of the time I'll be combining kiting with working & I have to work more-or-less London's business hours), doesn't seem to be good option for me. Also, anything more to the West that GMT -3HRS (which is just Fortaleza time) is just inconvenient too (so that takes out CostaRica or Mexico ) , since that would mean I'd need start working in the middle of the night (2-4AM), which makes everything a big hassle.

Which leaves me with:
*CaboVerde - reliable wind Jan - April, not expensive
.... and not much more

BUT

in couple places I have read that wind still shall be good in San Miguel do Gostoso area in Brasil (many commercial / schools websites say it shall be good there even till March!). Unfortunately, in the same time there are very little reviews / blogs from ppl who actually went there, yet alone in period I ask about, so I'm not sure what's actually the situation there.
So, after this long introduction to the case, eventually comes the question:

* Have any of you been to San Miguel? What are the winds there (especially asking for post-xmass period, but anything helps)? Is it really as good for kitesurfing as some websites claim? Is Galinhos spot really as good as some people say?
Also, is internet any good in that area? some research in internet say it's 4G there through mobile connection (that's more than enough for me), that true? I'd work remotely from my laptop, so that's a must & I don't want to fully rely on local WiFi, coz if it fails, I'm in trouble.

or, the side question: what is Western Ceara like post - christmass? can I still hope for some good kiting in that period or it's rather a lottery, and may be good but bad as well & not worth risking?

well, that's it. Thanks in advance for any help, cheers

P.S. I'm 92kgs rider, have switch Element 14M so anything from 16-17knots (on flat), or 18-19knots (on open sea) makes me happy
Hey,

I had been there this years on 1 -4 January, the wind was around 15 - 18 knots, when the tide is low you have flat water, when the tide is high you have some bumps and some place with waves. The weather is hot, as the water tempeture. The night in São Miguel do Gostoso is nice with some cool restaurant, there is another place nearby that you can kite as Galinhos (north) or get a day use on Siri Paraíso Hotel (South).
If you want to explore this area , there is a guy called "The Hand" and he knows good spots and can take you there in his buggy. In São Miguel there are lots of place where you can Rent a Kite, have lesson or just leave you family comfortable, like Kauli Seadi Center.
I saw a lot of foreigners there.
These users thanked the author LeoLeal for the post:
rw30 (Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 pm

LeoLeal wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:40 pm

I had been there this years on 1 -4 January, the wind was around 15 - 18 knots
well, then I better go somewhere else, since later in January it won't rather get any better, rather worse / same at best.

Thanks a lot@LeoLeal

Return to “Travel”