Favorite Beaches: All around the world
Style: Freeeride
Gear: Slingshot, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Kiteboarding Turkey Gokova, good spot, horrible service

Postby alterego11 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:19 am

Friends, just fyi.

We've been in Gokova Turkey this year and we got mixing feelings regarding this kitespot,.....First of all, it's a good spot,..beautiful countryside, warm water, turtles around you in water..good wind condition, beautiful village of Gulbache BUT service on spot is a disaster,....First of all, you need to pay to get on a kitebeach,..and there is no post sign about it!!!
Access price is not high but attitude is disaster... You just can't go there and start kiting...we got a feeling as we're trespassers.... the guy at the gate was harrassing us all the time like we're second class people...he pissed us off. There a some bars and kite schools at spot,...decent music...BUT you can't buy a beer there because you need to buy a bracelet with a money deposit on it,,,,and again...attitude was bad,...we got a feeling that those guys are making a favor for us allowing us to be there in their "elite" club,... We're not a beginners and we've been on many other kitespots in the world,...and it's our worst experience.

So,.please keep this in mind if you decide to go to Turkey, Gokova spot. Turkey has other good spots which we tried too...but service at Gokova was disappointing.

Have a good kiting!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Kiteboarding Turkey Gokova, good spot, horrible service

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:37 am

Might have changed since I last went - but it used to be that you needed to pay to 'park on the beach' (though somehow number of people in the car counted or something). So if you were prepared to walk down or walk over the bridge from the town you could kite for free. I remember someone explaining that its the guy who owns the land that the road to the beach runs through who charges or something like that.

Plenty of places charge for parking. Its just normally the local municipality instead of the land owner.

I was chatting to a guy who used to run a kiteshop out there and he was saying that since Erdagon became PM and the security rating of Turkey dropped, the kite schools were focusing on teaching local people rather than being a tourist destination. Its possible that this is the reason why you felt out of place?

Out of interest which other spots have you tried? I wasn't overwhelmed by the conditions at Gokova (consistent wind but not particularly flat water) although I really fancy visiting Hip-Notics cable park as that looks ace.

alterego11
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 177
Favorite Beaches: All around the world
Style: Freeeride
Gear: Slingshot, Naish

Postby alterego11 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:57 am

In Turkey we were kiting at Urla, Kilyus, Bodrum and Gokova. All the spots are different and interesting but Gokova was not that good. For us it was not a problem to pay for a beach access/parking ,..it's normal thing...we just did't like the attitude of spot administration and the way they run business there. Anyway,..Turkey is good spot for kiting and worth visiting...just keep in mind "Gokova attitude" thing,)
These users thanked the author alterego11 for the post:
nothing2seehere (Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

migel1976
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Moscow region
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites Airush Lithium 8, FlySurfer Soul 10, 15; Boards Flydoor 170x50, Shin Pinbot 141x44, Hydrofoil Mday 1050 cm

Postby migel1976 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 am

alterego11 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:19 am
Friends, just fyi.

We've been in Gokova Turkey this year and we got mixing feelings regarding this kitespot,.....First of all, it's a good spot,..beautiful countryside, warm water, turtles around you in water..good wind condition, beautiful village of Gulbache BUT service on spot is a disaster,....First of all, you need to pay to get on a kitebeach,..and there is no post sign about it!!!
Access price is not high but attitude is disaster... You just can't go there and start kiting...we got a feeling as we're trespassers.... the guy at the gate was harrassing us all the time like we're second class people...he pissed us off. There a some bars and kite schools at spot,...decent music...BUT you can't buy a beer there because you need to buy a bracelet with a money deposit on it,,,,and again...attitude was bad,...we got a feeling that those guys are making a favor for us allowing us to be there in their "elite" club,... We're not a beginners and we've been on many other kitespots in the world,...and it's our worst experience.

So,.please keep this in mind if you decide to go to Turkey, Gokova spot. Turkey has other good spots which we tried too...but service at Gokova was disappointing.

Have a good kiting!
For me it's best spot where i've been, don't see problem with deposit. Good food, wifi access, relax music, pumps, restrooms, free parking and of course every day is kite day!!!

burownidl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NA
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara, Brazil
Paje, Zanzibar (Tanzania)
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Gear: NA
Been thanked: 0

Postby burownidl » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Im planning a trip to Turkey this Summer. Few questions...
1. How's the English speaking level at these Kite Schools?
2. Do they rent equipment? (i dont feel like traveling with mine)
3. July & August, virtually the same as far as wind goes? Im contemplating Mid July or Mid August.
4. Any other town worth visiting for Kiting? (Im planning on visiting Akyaka/Gokova & Alacati)

Thanks

Return to “Travel”