Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Brazil - How best to return from Atins to Cumbuco?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Brazil - How best to return from Atins to Cumbuco?

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:29 pm

Lamdba? Is this the one that is here already since a year?

Didn't hear about anything new...

BTW, numbers are going down steadily now. And around 170 mio vaccinated minimum 1 time. But many with the chinese stuff...50% effectivity....

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:45 pm

rw30 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:18 pm
Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:13 pm
Or since you have been downwinding the whole way you might want to go to one of the inland lagoons.
which are the good ones close to Jeri? I mean, closer than Tatajuba lagoon? Is lagoa de Paraiso any good for kiting or too gusty?
Good question. I always went with locals so I'm not exactly sure where they were located. I'll see if I got it recorded on Strava later.

Didn't think of bringing my kite when we went to Paraiso unfortunately. Quite cool by the way to rent an ATV and drive to Paraiso from Jeri. There were people kiting just next to the restaurant. So definitely possible, but couldn't say how good the wind is.

The lagoons we went to were generally speaking smooth. Quite amazing when you have a lagoon (even if small) basically by yourself. A couple of days it was just me and one of the girls working at the school. Brilliant wind, flat water and no traffic.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:29 pm
Lamdba? Is this the one that is here already since a year?

Didn't hear about anything new...

BTW, numbers are going down steadily now. And around 170 mio vaccinated minimum 1 time. But many with the chinese stuff...50% effectivity....
We probably shouldn't make this into a Covid-thread, but some of the newspapers in Europa are just insane. Just today I read and article about how Israel will go into lockdown again if the magic "lambda" gets there :lol:

Point being there is a lot of uncertainty. In the US there are now more people in hospital with Covid than any time before the election. So who knows how things will look in November.

If there is a will there usually is a way. Hopefully the OP will have no problems. I do agree with a previous poster suggesting some days in Fortaleza as a buffer on the way back though.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:22 pm

have a look at this:

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:09 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:22 pm
have a look at this:

yes, saw that one couple days ago (just planning my trip to Brasil in Oct / Nov & checking such videos) and that Romeu guy is very helpful (entire series) & that's how I found out you can kite in lagoa de paraiso, but even they complain it's gusty there, so that probably means it's gusty AF :P

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 pm

We probably shouldn't make this into a Covid-thread, but some of the newspapers in Europa are just insane. Just today I read and article about how Israel will go into lockdown again if the magic "lambda" gets there :lol:
yup, they good at panicking & driving public (and thus politics) insane, and I'm not saying to disrespect CoVid, but c'mon. Also, I've been
1.5 mnth in Tarifa Sept / Oct last year
full mnth in Cabe Verde in Feb
full mnth in Portugal in July - would stay longer but had to come back home for family - related issues
.... so srsly, that coVid isn't that bad for kiters. But ofcrs, you have to be careful with planning, have plan B (if possible - as I had tickets to Sri Lanka for summer 2020, but they got locked totally) and C (see comment for plan B). And, if you prone to panicking & anxious in general, better stay home : )
If I'm locked in Brasil in Nov / Dec somewhere in Ceara - well, I can cope with that I guess :P

rquintella
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NY area
Style: freeride
Gear: North Rebel, Liquid Force Element

Postby rquintella » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:32 am

This downwind is amazing. You will love it.
All the tips shared here were great.
You should get a recommendation of the Surfinsemfim team. They know the area super well and will surely give you a good advice depending on what you want.
If it was me I would stay a couple of days in Atins, Barra Grande, Jeri (not Prea as you were already kiting). If you stay in Prea stay in Rancho do Peixe, worth the experience.
These users thanked the author rquintella for the post:
galewarning (Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:34 am

Lagoon.jpg
That was the coolest lagoon I went to (green dot and red lines more or less in the middle of the map). I have no idea if those are permanent or if the dunes change from year to year though.

You also see Guriu to the west. Cool spot where it is reasonably flat inside the natural barrier and you can get some nice waves in the opening. Those things might be tidal dependent etc - don't know. Also you need to cross a river or whatever it is on a tiny boat. So might be better to organize with someone in Jeri rather than driving yourself. One possibility is to downwind to Guriu and get someone to pick you up. On the way back Casa Uca is a great place to have some beers and food. My favourite spot in the area.

Also on the way to Guriu in what they called Mangue Seco it was quite nice to kite. A bit similar to Prea and I guess maybe not so interesting if you are downwinding past there anyway. Might be random, but I had smoother wind around Mangue Seco than in Prea. Prea when I was there was quite gusty and just choppy. Only went once though - so hardly an expert.

Rancho de Peixe is quite nice. But the vibe in Jeri is a lot more interesting in my opinion.

Hardly any bad options though. And everywhere you go you just meet friendly nice people.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
rw30 (Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:00 am) • galewarning (Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:19 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:16 pm

@rquintella,
I'm just trying to do a bit of homework myself and spare Andre and Surfin Sem Fim some of my many questions.

@everyone,
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! There is still room and time to sign up with Surfin Sem Fim and join me for the Ironman in Oct-Nov. I don't want a crowd, but would love to have a small pod of downwind enthusiasts join me!

Thanks again,
-Barry

rquintella wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:32 am
This downwind is amazing. You will love it.
All the tips shared here were great.
You should get a recommendation of the Surfinsemfim team. They know the area super well and will surely give you a good advice depending on what you want.
If it was me I would stay a couple of days in Atins, Barra Grande, Jeri (not Prea as you were already kiting). If you stay in Prea stay in Rancho do Peixe, worth the experience.

Return to “Travel”