Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

3 month time October to December this year, where to go?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
mountain_lake
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75
Style: TT and Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Evo 7+12 , Dice 10 qm
Reedin Supermodel 9+12 qm
Kauper Maverick 10 qm
Brand Affiliation: None

3 month time October to December this year, where to go?

Postby mountain_lake » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:44 pm

Dear all

I'm in the lucky situation to be flexible with my work location from October till the end of December.

So my idea is to go somewhere where I have wind most of the days (> 70-80%). Start working early in the morning and finish around 2 ... 3 o'clock to go kiting. Wind in the afternoon is sufficient. I prefer the flat stuff over waves... ;-)

I don't mind a wetsuit but the air temperature should be at least around 20 °C/68 °F.

For work, I need a desk and a chair and a decent internet connection. I prefer having my own flat and or a kitchen so I can cater for myself. If it's warm outside I prefer an aircon so I can focus during work. The price shouldn't be higher than 900 EUR/m or 1000 USD. Either walking distance to the beach or including a car.

I'm located in Europe but don't mind going somewhere else :-).

Does anyone have ideas where to go?

Thx for your help mountain_lake

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: 3 month time October to December this year, where to go?

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:46 pm

You are describing Cape Town.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
mountain_lake (Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis

Postby addictedtofoil » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:32 pm

Perth, lookup Freemantle doctor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Doctor

but be careful of the man in the grey suit :)
These users thanked the author addictedtofoil for the post:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:35 pm

Go where you don’t need a wetsuit.
Brazil !

Apts for 600 USD a month, no car needed.

Internet should be fast, ask maybe to boost up the speed while you are there.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:

mountain_lake
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75
Style: TT and Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Evo 7+12 , Dice 10 qm
Reedin Supermodel 9+12 qm
Kauper Maverick 10 qm

Postby mountain_lake » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks for your replies.
Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:46 pm
You are describing Cape Town.
Is there wind already in Cape Town this time of the year?
Toby wrote: Go where you don’t need a wetsuit.
Brazil !

Apts for 600 USD a month, no car needed.
Toby, Brazil is high on the list of potential locations :-). I didn't do an in-depth search for apartments but didn't find much for around 600 and then without air con. I looked on Airbnb, do you know any other places where to look for flats online?
Currently thinking bout São Miguel do Gostoso, Macapa or Barra Grande, Taiba or Tatajuba. Haven't been at one of those spots except Barra Grande.
Toby, how is the filling level of the laguns currently? Did it rain a lot or are the lagoons rather small?

If I recall well wind is normally till sundown and sundown is sharp at 6 o'clock or?

addictedtofoil wrote: Perth, lookup Freemantle doctor, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Doctor

but be careful of the man in the grey suit
addictedfoil, is Australia open again? And are there any flatwater spots where you can live close by (~10 min drive) didn't have Perth on the radar but it's on the bucket list....

Cheers

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:21 pm

It would be madness to go to Australia now in my opinion - and I don't think you would get in anyway?

I guess Brazil is one of the places you are less likely to suddenly get lockdown in. South-Africa might be a bit more uncertain. I was hoping to go down there last January, but then they suddenly locked down so... And Brazil is amazing - so hardly a bad option.

There are quite a few on here with a lot more experience from CT than me, but wind should be coming in October?

What I loved about CT vs. Brazil is that you got a cool city next to the spot - and quite a lot of things to do when it isn't windy. It is a personal preference kind of thing of course. I guess most of the spots in Brazil are more around tiny villages?

Also you got the benefit of similar time zone as Europe. If that matters for work. The wind usually starts blowing around 2-3 (not that different in Brazil of course - where you typically got more wind and for more hours). And you get around easier with English - which helps socially if you are staying for a long period - unless you speak Portuguese of course.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:30 pm

What I loved about CT vs. Brazil is that you got a cool city next to the spot - and quite a lot of things to do when it isn't windy. It is a personal preference kind of thing of course. I guess most of the spots in Brazil are more around tiny villages?
yes, but windy every day normally ;-)

So, if you want to stay longer, I recommend Cumbuco, otherwise you are in a lost place... Fortaleza is 30-40 min away, Uber brings you there easily.

Try to google the contacts for Flat Shop and Cumbuco Residence.

Water level pretty low currently...problem is, more and more sand gets into the lagoon...making it smaller every year....

But Taiba lagoon will be full this year. Last year it was open to the ocean. This year closed.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Only issue with Cape Town is OP said he did not like waves. So for flat water he has to travel north to Langebaan, or inland to a lake like Brandvlei, or east to a smaller lagoon like Hermanus. I cannot recommend Cape Town for someone wanting only flat water, it makes little sense. October is when the SE starts becoming regular, November is often epic, and of course December-Frebruary will be good. I'm about to book my ticket for December and January, having missed last season, but I love the waves.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:45 am

True about the waves. Then again if you aren't staying at a lagoon in Brazil you will have at least choppy conditions there as well. To me the rolling waves in CT are much preferable to the choppy spots in Brazil.

Obviously for the OP to decide, but for a 3 months period if you miss flat water than it is easy to drive up to Shark Bay in Langebaan (Langebaan itself is also quite flat - small chop generally speaking) or down to Hermanus (a bit longer drive). And if you really start to like the waves you can go to places like Misty Cliffs. The CT area is quite unique in that sense - you got all kinds of conditions in a fairly small area (all spots perfectly fine to drive to on day trips).

Really a luxury problem. My plan before Covid was to spend some months in the fall in Brazil before travelling to Cape Town for the "winter". I did mention CT in this thread, but Covid might have changed my mind a bit. Kind of interesting looking at how things have gone in South Africa. Last year new infections dropped significantly about around now, before they suddenly spiked again come end November. I don't know how they would react if something similar happened again this year? I don't think the risk is huge, but it would be rather boring being stuck in CT if they shut down the beaches again. I don't think that ever happened in Brazil?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:56 am

Toby wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:30 pm
yes, but windy every day normally ;-)

So, if you want to stay longer, I recommend Cumbuco, otherwise you are in a lost place... Fortaleza is 30-40 min away, Uber brings you there easily.

Try to google the contacts for Flat Shop and Cumbuco Residence.

Water level pretty low currently...problem is, more and more sand gets into the lagoon...making it smaller every year....

But Taiba lagoon will be full this year. Last year it was open to the ocean. This year closed.
Yeah. Cumbuco seems to be a decent "compromise". I don't mind Cumbuco. I was probably unlucky with the wind so kiting for me the short time I was there wasn't very good. If you are staying for 3 months I guess there should be enough days with wind. I would say there are certainly less things to do other than kiting in Cumbuco than Cape Town, but it also depends on one's personality. One might not want to "do" that many things other than leaving a fairly relax beach life (and not suggesting there isn't anything you can do other than kiting and drinking for 3 months of course).

Return to “Travel”