Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 135 lbs
Local Beach: Squamish
Gear: North Evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Kite surfing destination with high speed Internet

Postby Lea_kite » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:12 pm

Looking for recommendations for kitesurfing locations which also have high-speed internet with at least 100mbps download speeds. We are travelling from Canada, so flying out of Vancouver. Bonus if we can bring our dog. Looking for recommendations on accommodations at the locations as well. Travel window October until January. Thank you!

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Re: Kite surfing destination with high speed Internet

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:42 am

It's 2021. The whole world has fast internet. I lived on a sailboat in the Caribbean all winter and had 30mbps internet over cellular anchored in a secluded bay behind a sparsely populated island. Pretty much everywhere that's more connected than a boat anchored out in the ocean off a small island will have fast enough internet.

These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
Lea_kite (Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:48 am

check with guesthouses or apartments in Brazil.
Cumbuco has fast internet. Problem is, if a guesthouse has many guests accessing at the same time.
Apartments may not have the fastest, but you can ask the owner if they can boost up the speed by paying a bit extra...
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Lea_kite (Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:47 am)

Lea_kite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 135 lbs
Local Beach: Squamish
Gear: North Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lea_kite » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:30 am

Thank you for your input Toby and Tkaraszewski.
I'll check out Brazil and especially Cumbuco.
Most places I have reached out so far average speeds of 2-20 Mbps which is great for email and general internet usage however for our jobs we specifically require higher speeds of 100 or more unfortunately. Let me know if you can think of other places.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:55 am

I have 50mb, which serves my needs.
But there is for sure up to 100 mb available.
Any apartment with its own line should be able to boost it up. Just ask them.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Lea_kite (Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:33 am)

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:15 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:42 am
It's 2021. The whole world has fast internet.
Absolutely not true. While most of EU (and, in general, most of '1st world') has it - either fiber or fast 4G in most areas, many places still do not. Been to Cape Verde (Sal, Santa Maria) this year, it was 5- 7Mbps during business hours, some ppl were getting (for short moments) 20-30 Mbps, but no way you could get it during business hours. And I lived like 7-8 mins walk from GSM antenna. There's almost no fiber there, at least not in flats for rent or other popular accommodations (I've heard some big hotels & institutions have it), and most flats have routers with sim card, so eventually they getting same speed as what mobile connection gives you.

!!!! 2022 update - statement above is wrong. I went to CV again in 2022, just this time to realize that, for whatever reason, when the telCo sells you SIM, it's limited to 3G only. You just need to switch it to 4G / LTE in your phone settings and it's flying, 20-40Mbps depending on your distance to physical antenna !!!

Funny, coz if I knew internet is this slow there, I wouldn't go (before I went, one person living there shared with me these 20-30Mbps screenshots I told you about before), but fortunately it was enough for my work. Some ppl were complaining though.

In general, internet speed is tech-related thing, so, particularly if there's no (or little) fiber and mobile connection is slow (or very busy or just transponder is far away from where you stay - 4G doesn't have that much range distance- wise, and btw 5G has even less, so in most places that don't have good internet now, introduction of 5G won't change much, unless many new antennas are placed in particular area), then, sorry, internet will suck. tkaraszewski must have been lucky to stay somewhere close to well performing (and / or not very busy) mobile antenna.

Btw. any of you who were in Kappalady / Kalpitiya area in Sri Lanka, can you tell me how is internet there? I particularly mean mobile one, as I prefer not to rely on hotel's WiFi. I'd like to go there one day.
Last edited by rw30 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

North_Wind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Big Bay, Cape Town
Style: cruising and jumping
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby North_Wind » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:42 am

We have "fibre to the house" in our street in Cape Town (including our lodge). Speeds are about 80 Mbs down / 50 Mbps up however it is shared amongst the guests so fine for emails, calls and even video calls (up to about 3 simultaneously) but if we all hammer the internet at the same time it does degrade a bit. Still it is a million times better than when I first came here (2008) when it was 1.5 Mbs and there was no such thing as "unlimited" and you had to buy 1Gb at a time. The place I stayed in purchased on Monday morning and by Monday lunchtime it was "used up" and we had to wait a week for more haha.

Best wishes + good winds,

BA
Cape Town Kite Club
www.capetownkiteclub.com

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Agreed with North_wind. My flat in Milnerton in Cape Town had fibre connection before my home in Illinois! And of course kitesurfing in Cape Town and rest of SA is off the charts for October to January. Not sure about taking a dog along though, we always had a house sitter who took care of our dog when we went to SA for months at a time. Leaving a house empty in winter in Illinois is not a good idea anyway, if your furnace fails and your water pipes freeze you are facing major damages. We are already booked for December and January, can't wait.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:49 pm

Cape Verde, amazingly stable and fast internet. ping to sweden and US 100ms, no packet loss at all.
I think stable ping is more important than speed.
4G on CV Movel gives you more than 100Mbit. One of the best 4g network I been using. Could keep a ssh terminal connection up for days.
Unitel is useless though.

nickfox
Rare Poster
Gear: airush razors
Has thanked: 0

Postby nickfox » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:42 am

I just got back from 2 weeks in Dakhla, @Dkhla Attitude
just under 80MB and ~80ms ping to Europe

They have wifi points everywhere and they were running bundles of cat5 round the camp while I was there

Return to “Travel”