Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Traveling with a kite anchor (metal)

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Traveling with a kite anchor (metal)

Postby matth » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:58 am

Just bring a contractor's quality garbage bag and rope with a carabiner on each end. When you get to the beach put garbage bag inside empty kite bag and fill with sand, attach carabiner, done.
You can skip the garbage bag if you don't care about your kite bag getting sandy inside.
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
dfackler4 (Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dfackler4
Rare Poster
Gear: Slingshot RPM/Misfit

Postby dfackler4 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:38 am

grigorib wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:46 pm
Don’t bring it at all. Learn to self-launch/land on land and water. Friends of mine insist on anchor-launch and landing and for one they’re hogging a beach for too long with that thing and second - I’m not sure they can launch/land without it.
HIstorically I've self launched numerous times (drift launch mostly) with no issues but I've seen a few folks get into some bad situations trying to self launch between line twists/hot launches etc and frankly for me it's just more peace of mind when I'm somewhere by myself. If there are other kiters out I always offer to help with/ask for assisted launch/land. I used the anchor for the first time recently in Hatteras when no one was around and really liked being able to inspect the lines with the kite parked etc. - just a really smooth process overall (maybe its just me personally).

In Puerto Rico I'm primarily hoping to get some flat water sessions in the Las Picuas area - everything I'm reading is talking about how few kiters actually seem to be there during the week even on windy days which is why I'm considering the anchor (again, traveling solo). If I head to somewhere like Ocean Park obviously no need for an anchor. the anchor I use has neon yellow handles and I have my bag/gear right beside it so I don't see a situation where another kiter wouldn't see it (plus I'm only using the anchor when no others are around).

All that said, I totally hear the sand bag suggestions (positives and negatives for sand bag vs. auger type anchors I guess). Do you guys have a particular sand bag anchors you suggest?
These users thanked the author dfackler4 for the post:
grigorib (Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:36 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:04 am

Search eBay or www for mini bulk, dumpy, jumbo bag. There are plenty to choose from and cheap. Might even find one that gives a load spec. 0.5m cube so useful for carrying gear to and stowing on the beach.

Good point about leaving gear as a marker if you are using an auger, makes them far less objectionable than one that is hard to spot imho.
Last edited by Herman on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:22 pm

dice wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:04 pm
edt wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:48 pm
The fact that if the kite loops
Why would this happen? Did this ever happen?
We used anchors briefly back in the day, right up till my 12m North Rhino launched itself and tomahawked into the water, snapping all four bridle lines. Instead we learned to drift launch, and if necessary land. I have not done an anchored launch/land in 12 years, and I regularly kite alone. These days even if others are around I commonly drift launch, especially at easy places like Cape Hatteras, and our local lake launches are almost all drift launches (which are not without complications, especially getting lines tangled in weeds or other plant material, sometimes causing looping, but we are always ready for this).

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:49 pm

I have the 18 inch sand shark anchor and it comes with a padded bag for it to go in, and it travels well. I just make sure I screw it in so that it’s below the surface. It’s easy to travel with in your kite bag, never had any issues.

Also started taking a solo strap with it, it makes the attachment point more visible, and has a second hook so you can emergency release if something goes really wrong while attached ( Solo Strap ‘Only One’ has two hooks) . The elastic also makes it so the kite doesn’t just keep putting all of its force on the anchor and knock it loose. I’ve done this combo up to 25knots

https://sandsharkanchor.com/boat-pontoo ... sandshark/

https://www.solo-strap.com/buy-now/
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
dfackler4 (Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:06 am)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:12 pm

3 pounds is so much weight though for something you might not need. That's about half the weight of a carbon twin tip or pair of boots it's the weight of a spare control bar or entire soul 12 m kite. I already never pack clothes and just take what I'm wearing on the plane because I always reach the weight limit because I want to bring all my kites and boards. With that extra 3 pounds I could even have a spare pair of pants now that's luxury.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
DonaldM (Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:56 am)

BenS
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64
Local Beach: Hayling Island, UK.
Gear: Eleveight RS V4 (8/10/12)

Postby BenS » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm

Here’s an article detailing the various ways of self-launching a kite with their pros and cons. They also sell a plastic kite hook for self launching which looks like the least bad way of using a ground anchor if necessary.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:49 pm

BenS wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:02 pm
Here’s an article detailing the various ways of self-launching a kite with their pros and cons. They also sell a plastic kite hook for self launching which looks like the least bad way of using a ground anchor if necessary.
This plastic kite hook option looks interesting, and maybe lighter than the metal anchors? Anyone tried this one?

Return to “Travel”