Tobago

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Tobago

Postby lewmt » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 pm

I am considering a trip to Tobago (the island - not Tobago Cays) . Timing will be early-mid December unless I decide to go in January instead. Thinking of the Dec timing because on non-windy days wife & I will paddleboard, surf, sail charter, snorkel/dive, hike or enjoy whatever else we can find. Wife is a beginner and I like waves.

If you have been there or know the place well I would love to hear your recommendations for which area of the island to stay on, any -can't miss- things to do or places to see there, restaurants you liked, etc.....

Thanks in advance for any advice

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Re: Tobago

Postby lewmt » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 pm

No one on here knows anything about the island?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:29 pm

lewmt wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 pm
I've never been close to the island myself. I do have a friend with a windsport shop there, Brett Kenny who should be able to help you out.

https://www.radicalsportstobago.com/

kingrat84
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: tarifa, tobago
Has thanked: 0

Postby kingrat84 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:22 pm

lewmt wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:28 pm
Last edited by kingrat84 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:48 pm

I posted about this on another thread earlier this week on wing forum...copied below: "after a brief visit I will be super stoked to get back to Tobago some day. Pigeon Point has windy flat lagoon and soft foil waves outside. I was there in Nov, before wind season, I got out on a big kite and then a sup session. Now, with what I know about wing foiling...drooling about those outside reefs. Brett at Radical Sports Tobago runs a rental and lesson place there, windsurf, kite, foil, but not sure if he is into winging yet. There were places to stay just outside the park. It was not too pricey, maybe in between Mexico and Maui."

I'd recommend it pretty highly. Trinidad seems sketchy, but Tobabo is easy. I had good sup surf at Pigeon Point and at Mount Irvine -- which gets good and can be heavy localized from the reports, but no one was there when I was, probably not good enough to bother (waist to chest glassy warm water perfection for me, scoring a session on a work trip). At Pigeon Point there was no one else around, by myself out there.

Wind was iffy but I briefly kited with 12m and then 17m. I think wind gets more reliable as you get closer to spring. Contact Brett, he is super helpful and friendly, will give you the info you need. I rented sup from him, he also rents kite and windsurf gear, does lessons (jetski or boat assist).

I stayed at Conrado Hotel, right at entrance to pigeon point. Staying there, could get away without a car. I rented a car for exploring, as it was a quick trip.

Kiterisland1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot

Postby Kiterisland1 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:20 am

Went to Tobago January a few years ago. Overall was ok. Airline lost our luggage on the way there which sucked. Defiantly don’t expect a 5star resort experience there tho. But food is good and people fairly nice. The wind was in the 8-12kt range every day. I wasn’t foiling at that time so it was not good for wind. But now foiling it would be better.
I rode here…
https://goo.gl/maps/w29nFE1K9FpWsoqz9
Was a good spot other than the launch is super sketchy.

And rode once at pigeon point which is nice.

For food we ate at the Pasta Gallery and it was fantastic.

lewmt
Frequent Poster

Postby lewmt » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. Hoping to get there soon, but sounds like currently they aren't allowing visitors due to covid

Return to “Travel”