Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

OBX in second half of Nov - advise to stay?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

OBX in second half of Nov - advise to stay?

Postby aniva » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Hi,
I am in Canada and since border finally about to open, I am thinking of road trip somewhere there is a little bit warmer and that does not involve flying and airports.
At the end of Nov where temperatures in Toronto drop to below 40 and I am thinking of OBX where it is still milder.
I have been to OBX only once and we stayed in Rodanthe area it was a while back. I checked weather patterns here for Nov, and it's actually not bad, bit colder, bit more rain, but generally should be fine.
Any advise from forum where to stay and kite, as I am not that familiar with are, looking to optimize price of course, travelling alone, no company, just me and my wife.
Regards,
Aniva

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: OBX in second half of Nov - advise to stay?

Postby bkkite » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm

I've always had good luck on VRBO out there, and just look for a smaller house thats not on the water, since you won't have anyone to be splitting it with.

I've stayed at watermans retreat, which isn't the budget option, but works out ok if you have friends to share it with. It's nice because then you get a gear locker, and can just launch from their launch area and use their compressors :)
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
aniva (Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:54 pm

bkkite wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm
I've always had good luck on VRBO out there, and just look for a smaller house thats not on the water, since you won't have anyone to be splitting it with.

I've stayed at watermans retreat, which isn't the budget option, but works out ok if you have friends to share it with. It's nice because then you get a gear locker, and can just launch from their launch area and use their compressors :)
Thanks I am checking it, waterman retreat looks good. Question, if I am staying at the place that is not one the water, how do I know the spots I can access for kiting?

I assume most spots are private access there, sorry I have no idea where I can kite if I am not staying by the water with dedicated launch area, is there map of kite sports with where launching kite is allowed?

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:59 pm

I have also stayed at Waterman’s (In Waves, NC) in late November in years past on the last week they are open before closing for the season. Price was reasonable for using the launch facilities and being on the water.

Biggest thing to be aware of is that most of the businesses close in the late season, including restaurants. I cannot imagine things will be better this year given staff shortages. Be prepared to make runs to grocery stores and cook your own meals.

Also bring a thick wetsuit or a dry suit. It can get cold early depending on your luck with the weather.

As for local access, the ocean side is effectively open. The sound side is more tricky, but there are large open area between Buxton and Avon, along with a lot of National/State park public access between. If it looks like private land, it probably is. If it is marked keep out, please do so. Be aware of natural/bird restrictions, I found everything pretty well marked.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
aniva (Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:11 pm)

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi aniva
Use the “spots” section of this site, here is link for obx spots:

https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/count ... +%28USA%29

Zoom in and click on a spot, then click on name of spot, and you will get a few details. Pretty much every public kite launch site is on here. Some of the sound side access points are pretty small space-wise but if you are comfortable launching out in the shallow water etc you will be fine.

There are a lot of public access points on both sound and ocean side. Right in “town” in any obx area not too much public access on sound side, but plenty of access points for the sound anywhere outside of the towns (very short drive).
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
aniva (Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:22 pm)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:56 am

Waves Village https://www.wavesvillage.com or Watermen’s are good, maybe too spacious for just one couple, yet very decent launches. There are not many public launches on the soundside in Rodanthe-Waves-Salvo so look for soundside property.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
aniva (Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:29 am

aniva wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:54 pm
bkkite wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks I am checking it, waterman retreat looks good. Question, if I am staying at the place that is not one the water, how do I know the spots I can access for kiting?

I assume most spots are private access there, sorry I have no idea where I can kite if I am not staying by the water with dedicated launch area, is there map of kite sports with where launching kite is allowed?
I know Real watersports left a map of the spots you can launch in the watermans retreat when I was there, looks like some people posted some info on where you can launch up above. Like everyone is saying, ocean side access is easy, its more sound side access thats trickier. Part of the value of staying at watermans is you get access to the sound right there ( you should check that everything is as usual that late in the season).

I found a map that looked similar to the one I got from real, and I did do a session or two further south at kite point. But honestly I mostly stuck to kiting right outside the condo :) and then a few down winders ocean side.
http://www.kiteclubhatteras.com/kite-spot-guide/
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
aniva (Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:23 pm)

Return to “Travel”