Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

April - Egypt and Cape Verde

Postby Kitedicted » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:58 pm

I am looking for a kite destination in April where there is an option to do other things than kiting (so Dahkla is ruled out).

I know cape verde is guaranteed wind but I am unsure of the kitespot in sal. I ride twintip so I'm not looking for big waves. Is the kite beach in Sal ok for twin tip riding?

El gouna seems nice but the wind statistics look poor year round. Is this true? I am reading something like only 40 % chance of kiteable winds in April.

Thanks

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Re: April - egypt and cape verde

Postby kostantin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Hurghada end!!!! of April. Nice! But in days of climate change, forget any type of guarantees. Would I personally go to El Gouna ? Nope.

tks

Kosta

trendab
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Urnersee Switzerland
Style: Freeride, Foil
Gear: Gong, Fone, Anton, Slingshot, Naish

Postby trendab » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Hamata. In my experience good already in March. But only other thing to do is diving.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:03 pm

I haven't been myself, but never heard from anyone saying TT is an issue at two of the I guess three spots on the south side of Sal. Know quite a few who have been there - as far as I know only TT riders. Basically never seen them on anything else.

There are waves of course - so not like Egypt - but if I ever go to Sal it will most likely be with a TT.

Not sure how exciting that part of Cape Verde is, but I guess you got more there than at Dakhla.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:02 pm

Both Egypt and Sal don’t necessarily offer a lot of activities other then water sports at a short distance of the kite spots.
Depending on what your other entertainment needs are you might need to travel significantly (eg island hopping in Cape Verde or going to Abu Simbel from Hurghada area)

So yeah, it is a bit better then Dakhla but make sure to fully look at what these places provide exactly rather then assuming there will be enough to do.

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Postby Kitedicted » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:23 am

Thanks for the input. I will try Cabo for the wind guarantee. I don't need butterflat conditions I just don't want 3 m waves :)

Swimming, eating and relaxing is surely possibly in cabo and there seems to be a zipline, some boat cruises and perhaps some other stuff to do besides kiting. But I will probably kite every day if possible still.

Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Delta99 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:52 pm

I suppose you googled and found you have flat water and off-shore at Ponta Preta on the west side of Sal. Most kiters go to on-shore kite beach on the east side though. There are waves but the channels between them are wide and flatish. Good winds, bring small kites.

In Egypt I've managed to ride almost every day even in winter. But you might need a 15 and not the smallest board. (100 kg) I do like El Gouna very much and the kite beach club Makani is the place to be. It is top level. El Gouna is the only place in Egypt where you can move around for eg between restaurants and bars like a normal person. And on low wind days you go day-triping diving or snorkeling in the Red Sea. Among the best diving waters in the world. Always excellent visibility, always nice corall. And of course you have all sorts of excursions, squash, paddle, etc. The cultural destinations are a bit too far away to be practical. 5hrs one way minimum plus it in April started to be very hot along the Nile.

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:56 am

* wind isn't guaranteed in CV in April. It is (almost) guaranteed in Feb, but outside of Feb it's not this good. Just check WindGuru archives & you will see, actual wind is very close to GFS 13 / GFS 27 forecast (well, usually slightly stronger, especially on sunny days)
*it's not most exciting place in the world... but it's pretty decent. Was almost empty in Feb 2021, but this year I spent 6 weeks there (early Feb to late March), and it was more than enough happening in Santa Maria. Lots of good restaurants & bars (many with live music), some party if you into that, some stuff to see around the island (+ some 'secret' / unattended spots - especially the one next to Shark Bay looked great) , so it's really good combination of 'I want to kite in town' (Angulo spot) / short taxi drive (Kite Beach aka Mitu's base) / secrets spots (you'd need either taxi or rent a car, which may be good idea if you at least 2 or 3 ) and other activities. Also, surfing is possible (even in town, right next to the pier), some people dive + no time spent in traffic
*main spots, i.e. Kite Beach aka Mitu's base and Angulo are both great for twin tip (Kite Beach provides great left-foot-forward kickers if you into jumping). Ponta Preta is not, but it's spot for VERY ADVANCED wave riders anyways.

well, any other questions about the place - let me know. But also use the searcher before as I've shared quite some info (although based on my stay there in 2021) before.

Cannot compare to Egypt, since never been there. But Egypt is flat water & very good when windy. + I've heard many people praising El Gouna (and Dahab too btw).
Last edited by rw30 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:59 am

leeuwen wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:02 pm

Depending on what your other entertainment needs are you might need to travel significantly (eg island hopping in Cape Verde [....]
unless you have plenty of time, forget about that. Flights between islands are expensive & rare (many of them were dropped during coVid & have not recovered, I think national airline ceased operations at all), ferries are unreliable especially in windy season (you may wait for days till it leaves)

xfact
Rare Poster

Postby xfact » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:49 pm

I would go for Soma Bay, south of Hurghada. Been there for the last few years in mid/late April. 7/8 days > 20 knots. Thermal kicks in in the afternoon. +4-5 knots.

Return to “Travel”