Favorite Beaches: Maui
Style: Pro n00b
Gear: Naish 6m/9m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Is Boracay actually a good kite spot?

Postby mikewang » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:19 am

Hi guys,

I see reports of Boracay being windy but doesn't seem like crazy windy like Brasil, Maui, Cape Town. I see they have 2 windy seasons.

Anyhow, is it a windy spot? What size kites and %? Looking to go from August to March. :D

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is Boracay actually a good kite spot?

Postby Havre » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:23 am

The wind turns in Boracay. I can't remember exactly when, but I'm sure you can duckduckgo it. I was there during "winter" and then you can kite on the main kite beach (Bulabog) - which would cover most of your months, but not all. I know you can kite on white beach on the other side when the wind comes from the opposite direction. In between - the changes you got periods with no wind.

I'm not sure if they have fixed it, but Bulabog had a sewage issue. There are (or at least were) pipes from the island draining sewage right into the kite lagoon (or if not pure sewage so something bad). Near the beach you would see all kinds of crap - and at times the smell is just disgusting. Better when you get further out of course. They did shut down the whole island some years ago to address the general condition of the island, but not sure if they fixed this?

Apart from that it is a very nice kite spot. Wind is generally solid throughout the season. It can get quite busy, but maybe less so these days than it used to?

The island is quite nice I would say. Could have been a lot nicer if they had taken proper care of it, but you'll find some cool spots around for "non kiting" activities. I would go absolutely mad staying there from August to March though, but that depends on your personality I guess.

Personally if I were to spend August to March kiting I would spend the fall in Brazil and jump on a flight to Cape Town in December or something. Then you'll experience two of the best kite "areas" in the world - and that will offer a lot more outside kiting than Boracay (but again - depends on your personality).

Return to “Travel”