Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Atins in Brazil: searching for information and experiences

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
_Andy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Gear: Slingshot, Cbrinha Liquide Force, and more nice stuff :)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Atins in Brazil: searching for information and experiences

Postby _Andy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:39 pm

Hi,

I saw really nice picture about kitesurfing on the lagunes in Atins in Brazil.

1.) In one internet article, I read now, that the wind in Atins is guesty. Is this really the case?
2.) Are the lagunes directly in Atins or do I need a taxi?
3.) What is the best month for Kitesurfing in these lagunes?
4.) Which international airport is the nearest / best one?
5.) Can someone recommend good airbnb-apartments, surf-camps, hostels, hotles… ?

best regards, nice weekend and thanks in advance for good information
Andy

universalflush
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: North Orbit 7, 9, North Reach 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Atins in Brazil: searching for information and experiences

Postby universalflush » Sun May 01, 2022 11:46 am

Kiting the lagoons is a one-off thing. You have to drive quite far through the desert and then the water is very shallow and the wind is very gusty. It's nice to do it once for the experience and some pictures but that's it. The spot in Atins itself is really nice though.
The closest international airport is Sao Luis. You can take a bus to Barreirinhas and then a boat to Atins.
ut you can also go to Fortaleza and from Jeri / Prea you can do an organized tour to Atins.

Ero7
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Atins in Brazil: searching for information and experiences

Postby Ero7 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:03 am

Atins is a pretty special place. Quiet village in a river delta.
It was a final stop of our multi-day downwinder from Prea.

To your questions:

1.) I don't recall any problems with wind in Atins' delta. Just a usual NE Brazilian wind, rather lighter (comparing to Cumbuco/Jeri) - kite sizes 12-14m are not unusual here.
If you ride behind dunes in Lençóis Maranhenses Park - then yes, it might be gusty as the dunes are tall like mini-mountains.

2.) You can ride in the river delta just by the village, no need for a transport for that.
Or, if you want to ride one of lagoons inside the dunes of Lençóis Maranhenses Park (next to Atins) than you would need to arrange a special park's truck for that.

3.) To my knowledge, September-December is the windy season, just like anywhere in NE Brazil.

4.) Sao Luis is the nearest local airport (not sure if it's international though). To get there from Atins you would need to go up the river on boat (SUPER spectacular adventure, BTW) and then 2-hour drive on a car.

5.) We were staying at Pousada Vila Guará, not the cheapest place, but super convenient, kiting-friendly hotel... right at the kite launch spot.

Some visuals from our trip:

Return to “Travel”