Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: None

Tybee Island forecasting

Postby chibern » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:21 am

Hello!
Heading to Savannah, GA/Tybee Island next week and was wondering how accurate the forecasts are for that area in general? Doesn't look too promising so far but wasn't sure if there was some micro-climate action that doesn't show up in the forecasts or consistently underestimates the wind?

Right now, given the forecast, I'm not too inclined to schlep my gear from the West Coast just to get skunked. (I know... I'm guaranteed to get skunked if I DON'T bring it 😁)

Thanks!

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Re: Tybee Island forecasting

Postby Sun » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:13 pm

Forecast is decently accurate, although we tend to get slightly more wind by a knot or two in the late afternoon in the summer.

Note that we are prone to getting afternoon thunderstorms, so always be aware of what weather radar is doing and keep an eye out all around when out in the water.

But of chief importance is the tide. If you are on the north end or the south end of the island, the tide can absolutely make or break a session. We get STRONG currents mid tide, and there is only really a reprieve at peak high and bottom low.

In summer, the ideal conditions are the prevailing Southerly wind plus descending tide on the south end of the island.

Parking sucks though in summer.

Shoot me a message or reply to the thread closer to time.

chibern
Medium Poster

Postby chibern » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:24 pm

@Sun - thanks so much for the reply!

Actually, leaving for GA tomorrow so trying to decide what to pack.

High tides seem to mid- to late-afternoon next week so that sounds like it should be ok?

Forecasts mostly say 10-12kt starting around 2p and then ramping up a bit later in the day.

10-12kt would be pretty marginal for me on a surfboard in the ocean on a 14.5M. So hopefully, it gets that extra knot or two :-)

Probably just bringing the 14.5 and a 12m and a surfboard.

How is the kiting crowd during the summer week?

Again, thanks for the local 411!

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW

Postby Sun » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:13 pm

Looking at the forecast and the tide, you should get a few good days in. Having the tides line up in the afternoons helps a great deal. I am expecting to use a 12m and a TT with most of those forecasts, so you should be absolutely fine on a SB.

Crowd here is decent. Most good days there is usually someone out at any given time, and that is to say there may be five or six but usually not more than ten spread across a few hours. The tidal sandbars make for a lot of space at mid tide, but it does shrink a little at low tide. Still, not sure I have ever had it feel “busy” really.

At the south end, you can choose between kiting on the flat back river (on the west side of the point) or on the ocean side to the east. There are sandbars in between, so be prepared to find some shallow water at times. The foilers (wing or kite) tend to stick to the ocean or the river out of necessity. With a south wind and a descending tide, stick to the river for extra power, or pop over to the ocean if it gets strong.

It looks like you’ve got some experience with kiting, so you should be perfectly fine. Tybee can be a bit much to handle for beginners because of the added complexity of the tides. Just keep your wits about you and you’ll have a blast.

chibern
Medium Poster

Postby chibern » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:04 am

Awesome. Thanks again for all the info!
Changed my mind and bringing the TT instead. Just packs easier and hoping to avoid board bag fees.

Been kiting 5+ years but I mostly ride strapless s/b or foil. I can barely do a back roll on a TT LOL

Hope the forecast works out and maybe I'll see you out there.

chibern
Medium Poster

Postby chibern » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:37 pm

Just a quick report on my trip in addition to the spot-on info from @Sun

Got 3 days of light wind kiting. It was 13-15kt mostly. Used a 14.5M the first day around 2pm and it was super fun as the wind creeped up later in the afternoon and I was a bit overpowered by the time the thunderstorms chased everyone off the beach.

Went around Noon the second day hoping to stay on the water a bit longer before the storms came. Used my 12M in anticipation of the rising wind but it never materialized and I was a bit underpowered the whole session. Right about when I got out of water the wind picked up but the storms rolled in about an hour later.

The last day, I didn't go out until 3pm. Meters were showing 14-15kts and again used my 12M with the hope the wind would pick up a bit. I was just powered enough to stay upwind and do a few small jumps in the gusts but that was about it.

In hindsight, I should have either just kept using my 14.5 the whole time (@195lbs/88.5kg) or packed my surfboard. Maybe it was a combination of the heat (90F/32C), currents and being on a TT which I don't ride that often but 15kts didn't "feel" like 15kts.

The kiting area is great with a lot of room to set-up and not too many people on the beach on the far south end (many more people as you go North up the beach). The river mouth gets really choppy but it smooths out a bit as you go further out or north and as the tide settles. There are some tiny waves to play with. Must've gotten stung 10 times by jellyfish though!

There was only one other kiter the first two days and 3 or 4 kiters out on the last day which was a Friday.

All in all, it was a fun spot with easy access and warm water in the summer. Not sure if it was the weekday crowd but parking was wide open that week. I stayed in Savannah and it was an easy 30min drive each way. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:52 pm

Savannah seems like a cool laid-back nightlife, and if you get skunked, it's pretty fun and impressive to tour the civil war-era fortifications on the island...

But I only got to go there once, car camping, over a decade ago.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW

Postby Sun » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:51 pm

Nah it’s shit. Tell all your friends to keep away. Someone might accidentally have fun and decide to stay.

Return to “Travel”