StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Guadeloupe Info

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:41 pm

Looking for windsports info on Guadeloupe. I'm considering going there with my family in March and ideally would be getting some wing foiling in. Considering locations in Saint Francois or Sainte-Anne. Ideally consistent wind, depth for foiling and some accessible (non punchy) waves. Any recommended beaches for winging, or otherwise family friendly activities in the vicinity? Things to consider or be aware of?

Looks like a beautiful spot, accessible with direct flights and comparably reasonable prices.

Thanks!

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster

Re: Guadeloupe Info

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:23 pm

Bumping this for any info. Trip is booked and I will be in Saint Francois (near Le Manganao Hotel). I know there is wind, but info is pretty thin (particularly in English). Thanks for any tips.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:56 pm

Been to Sainte-Anne. Unfortunately I don’t foil and can’t remember how that would work exactly.

The spot east of the village has a reef. It is not deep inside either, but I guess should be deep enough. Can’t guarantee though. Space isn’t huge inside the reef, but should be enough. Said by someone not foiling.

The spot almost in the village is very shallow close to the launch. Not sure if it is deeper further out.

Wind is not great. I would expect 10–15 knots. Hopefully that is enough.

Guadeloupe generally is quite nice. A lot of old people from France, but also quite friendly. Would have gone back if the wind was better for a TT rider.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
StellaBlu (Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:06 pm

Did you end up going? Any tips? I'm heading that way later this week.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:48 pm

Yes, I went last spring. In a week I think I got four sessions in, only one of which was really good wind in a storm, otherwise it was super light (like 10-12 knots) and I was just barely making it work. The sargassum was also a big mess when I was there, which put a damper on foiling. I was staying near St Francois, which has a spot just downwind (west) of the marina with a beach launch and several schools. I was winging and it seemed like wingers were the majority although there were a few kiters. That said, the spot was a kind of strange for winging, you had to tack out through a cut in the reef, and then if you got pushed downwind outside of the reef (which happened a few times, since the wind kept dying), you then had to tack back up to the break in the reef to make it back. I think there is another launch on the farther side of the marina (upwind) which might have been a bit more straightforward. There were some easy waves outside of the reef to keep things interesting.

I also had one session near St Anne, which had a much better wave setup, but was also reefy and tricky to get out. Wish I could have had wind to explore that spot more as it had good potential. Pretty sure there was a kite school at the Club Med in St Anne.

Bottom line - we had a nice vacation, and it was easy to get to, but between the light wind, tricky reefs and sargassum, it wasn't an ideal setup for winging. If it had been blowing harder and the sargassum hadn't been such a mess, I probably would have ventured out to find some other spots, but it wasn't worth it with the wind conditions I had. I think the sargassum generally comes a little later in the spring, so you might not have the same issues I did. I just checked and wind looks a lot better than when I was there. There is a big downwind race there the 27th of Jan (Ze Race).

I highly recommend checking out the west island (Basse Tierre) on your down days. My understanding is that there aren't a lot of good wind spots there, but it was a really beautiful and diverse ecosystem and worth the trip (even dragging two young kids along).

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster

Postby StellaBlu » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:57 pm

Not sure if this works, but here is a screenshot of the launch area from Google Maps. Red arrow is the beach where you can launch winging. The green arrow is a little grassy area where i think the kites were launching from. On the other side of the marina entry (near Ambiance Jet marker) I think there is another launch spot. The yellow arrow is the cut in the reef. THe stars are very shallow reef, so you need to make it out the cut or go into the main marina channel to get out.
Attachments
gwada.png

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:51 pm

When I was there, quite a few years ago, 15 at a guess. Some guy tried telling me kiting wasn't permitted on the beach I was on. After a while I got him to talk, turns out he was a kiteschool owner and didn't want me there as I was not flying the brand he sold, and was concerned his students might prefer the kites I was using! (It takes all sorts), that was near Sainte Anne. I liked the North side of the peninsula around Pointe de Colibris most.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 am

I checked that spot and it was pounding with heavy waves on rocks. Can’t imagine how to get in the water there, at least with a foil. But the waves were massive and would have been fun far outside of the shorebreak. Beautiful spot and probably doable in some conditions or with a boat launch.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:03 am

Sarda wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:51 pm
When I was there, quite a few years ago, 15 at a guess. Some guy tried telling me kiting wasn't permitted on the beach I was on. After a while I got him to talk, turns out he was a kiteschool owner and didn't want me there as I was not flying the brand he sold, and was concerned his students might prefer the kites I was using! (It takes all sorts), that was near Sainte Anne. I liked the North side of the peninsula around Pointe de Colibris most.
Was that the school in st Felix (a little west of st Anne)? I had first kite lesson there 15 years ago! They let us walk on the coral reef because it was nice and shallow to school on.

On the other side of the bay is petit havre, which has an awesome wave when at Francois is too big to get out on a foil StellaBlu.

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 pm

That I can't remember. He had walked quite a way from East of where I was. I think he was having a hard time dealing with the realities that he wasn't going to be living the rock star lifestyle any time soon by teaching and dealing kites on a holiday island!

It has always stuck in my mind, my ex wife and me were looking at property on the island. It was a bit of a turnoff.
Last edited by Sarda on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel”