Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Hurghada Egypt Sucks

Postby tanre » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:05 pm

So, first let?s say this is only 1 guys opinion. Like many, I come to these forums to get information, so I figure I will share my experience. Some background: been kiting for 8 years, been to MANY spots over 5 continents (Peru, Uruguay, Brazil, Sardinia, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Hood River, OBX, FL, MVY, CT, San Fran and most of Caribbean islands). Lived in Cabarete for 6 months and Mauritius for 4. Obviously my travels allow me to hear about many kite spots. I am not a wealthy man and try to stay in very inexpensive accommodations. Numerous times people have mentioned Hurghada/El Gouna. Hell, I even watched the videos. I now will be here for a couple months and let me say this is NOT a kite spot. It is however a great tourist spot where kiting is available.

I wish someone would have mentioned what I am about to because I would've changed travel plans.

With the exception of 2 spots along the coast (neither have I been to yet; El Gouna and Safarga), a person cannot just enter the beach to kite. Every beach is private and in order to kite, you must pay 10-20 Euro/ day. Then, if you are a foiler, or like downwinders, you cannot go far (or will get yelled at after each attempt). Reason projected is tourist safety. The kite school/hotel where you are kiting from needs to be able to keep an eye on you in case you need rescue. The place is geared towards families who like to stay in hotels and who are learning to kite. Security will stop you if you attempt to walk the beach in any direction towards another resort.

If you pay per week, storage fees range from 55-80 Euro/week, so if staying at Harry Nass for instance, expect to pay 320 Euro per month to be able to kite.

The solution is to get a hotel that allows kiting (only a few), and avoid storage fees (I think). They still may charge you to use their facility for launching and landing because you are their responsibility.

The wind is gusty and seems to be offshore many times, so a bit turbulent due to obstructions. Water is choppy. Boosting is difficult in many spots due to choppiness, unless you take a boat ride to one of the islands, or kite to one (as long as it is in binocular distance from kite school). Water is warm and beautiful and so very clear. That's a bonus but not worth it in my opinion.

Also forget about any sunset sessions. Was told to be off the water by 5:30pm or the police come after you. From what I have seen by even trying to get to different kite schools/stations, I don't doubt it.

People want to set your gear up and launch and land you, yet seem to get offended when you check your own lines. So far this has happened: 1) bar set up backwards (depower line on opposite side so to depower you have to reach through bar to other side; a bit of an inconvenience while foiling for 2 hours. 2) Tips of kites being dragged on concrete and sand while being carried to be set up. 3) Sand being put on underside of kite so as to get right in between strut and canopy. I am not making this up(kid was learning though. 4) Back line almost shredded apart and not being noticed after guy set my lines up...I started setting up my own gear thankfully caught this(and switched bars). 5) Fiberglass surfboard being hit twice on way to set up (concrete and wood). So, it kind of shows me that they are used to people without their own gear (school gear).

There also isn't much of a kite community here. With the exception of people who collectively book the 7-day boat cruise, I have yet to see more than 3 kites in the air at any one spot. Pretty sure El Gouna will be different. I counted 7 kites total from Soma Bay to most Northern part of Hurghada.

Oh, don't bring binoculars; they will either get confiscated or you will be "requested" to pay to keep them. Taxis at airport are a rip off. Not sure if you can, but if you can Uber from airport, do that!

So, if you are interested in a family trip to a hotel for a week or two and don't mind the extra expenditures, go for it. I'm sure the diving and snorkeling are great too as the water is beautiful.

However, if you are a kiter expecting a kite spot, I wouldn't schedule more than a week here.

Just my opinion and since I didn't see anything like this review elsewhere, I figure I would share in case it helps.
These users thanked the author tanre for the post (total 4):
andrzej351 (Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:50 pm) • dejavu (Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:29 am) • lifeinthehood (Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:42 pm) • gilesb (Thu May 11, 2023 6:25 am)
Rating: 12.12%

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Re: Hurghada Egypt SUCKS!

Postby Fatso » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:56 pm

That's very helpful, thanks.
These users thanked the author Fatso for the post:
abel (Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Hurghada Egypt Sucks

Postby Toby » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:26 pm

All depends what you are looking for.

Where exactly did you stay?

Egypt doesn’t look the best for foilers I think.

Maybe Soma Bay, but there are some reefs, but is deep enough if you work around them.

El Gouna pretty much all shallow…

Hurghada itself isn’t a recommended kite spot.

You should have us on here before you went…all these info are know, since many here traveled there.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:59 pm

I had a very bad experience in Hurghada 20 years ago, not kiting but just the whole thing was horrible. When you arrive you feel they only want you money until you leave the place.
A few years later I went to El Gouna and it was a completely different experience.

I went back last september to the same place in El Gouna (El Paradisio) and it is still great:
- El Gouna is like a resort with very restricted access to local people: you need to live or work there
- you feel very safe. Nobody asking for anything or money
- I had 7 days out of 7 winging in 12 to 25 knots. Deep enough for winging (foiling)
- The 5km2 lagoon is excellent for learning (my wife did learn there after looking at me kiting for 20 years... she had a blast)

So in my opinion Hurghada and El gouna are completely different on and off water.

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Postby duddd » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:02 am

If you are near Soma Bay go to Surfmotion spot
In case you go to El Gouna, go to Makani spot
Both these places were letting me pump my kite, do my line etc, but they were the ones launching/landing
Yes, everyone in Egypt is trying to get money from you somehow which is not that pleasant

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:38 am

I have been to Hurghada and El Gouna.
Hurghada is quite far from onshore(or even sideshore) kitespots. There is nothing for me in the city.

El gouna is a great place to stay and kite. Good isolation from the local culture :)
If you're going kiting, skip Hurghada.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:55 am

going on kite safari in Egypt is probably the best bang for the buck, period..

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:23 pm

That such an unfair generalization about Hurghada or Egypt, yet it’s not my favor place to kite saying it’s sucks because you had to pay few $$$ to use beach access it’s unfair.
Cost of staying and going to Egypt is significantly lower than other kite places hence you pay little extra for using kite beaches.
I know many people who rather pay $10/day have access to compressor, showers, toilets and resting area at kite beach than pay nothing and don’t have none of these amenities.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:55 pm

tanre wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:05 pm
So, first let?s say this is only 1 guys opinion. Like many, I come to these forums to get information, so I figure I will share my experience. Some background: been kiting for 8 years, been to MANY spots over 5 continents (Peru, Uruguay, Brazil, Sardinia, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Hood River, OBX, FL, MVY, CT, San Fran and most of Caribbean islands). Lived in Cabarete for 6 months and Mauritius for 4. Obviously my travels allow me to hear about many kite spots. I am not a wealthy man and try to stay in very inexpensive accommodations. Numerous times people have mentioned Hurghada/El Gouna. Hell, I even watched the videos. I now will be here for a couple months and let me say this is NOT a kite spot. It is however a great tourist spot where kiting is available.

I wish someone would have mentioned what I am about to because I would've changed travel plans.

With the exception of 2 spots along the coast (neither have I been to yet; El Gouna and Safarga), a person cannot just enter the beach to kite. Every beach is private and in order to kite, you must pay 10-20 Euro/ day. Then, if you are a foiler, or like downwinders, you cannot go far (or will get yelled at after each attempt). Reason projected is tourist safety. The kite school/hotel where you are kiting from needs to be able to keep an eye on you in case you need rescue. The place is geared towards families who like to stay in hotels and who are learning to kite. Security will stop you if you attempt to walk the beach in any direction towards another resort.

If you pay per week, storage fees range from 55-80 Euro/week, so if staying at Harry Nass for instance, expect to pay 320 Euro per month to be able to kite.

The solution is to get a hotel that allows kiting (only a few), and avoid storage fees (I think). They still may charge you to use their facility for launching and landing because you are their responsibility.

The wind is gusty and seems to be offshore many times, so a bit turbulent due to obstructions. Water is choppy. Boosting is difficult in many spots due to choppiness, unless you take a boat ride to one of the islands, or kite to one (as long as it is in binocular distance from kite school). Water is warm and beautiful and so very clear. That's a bonus but not worth it in my opinion.

Also forget about any sunset sessions. Was told to be off the water by 5:30pm or the police come after you. From what I have seen by even trying to get to different kite schools/stations, I don't doubt it.

People want to set your gear up and launch and land you, yet seem to get offended when you check your own lines. So far this has happened: 1) bar set up backwards (depower line on opposite side so to depower you have to reach through bar to other side; a bit of an inconvenience while foiling for 2 hours. 2) Tips of kites being dragged on concrete and sand while being carried to be set up. 3) Sand being put on underside of kite so as to get right in between strut and canopy. I am not making this up(kid was learning though. 4) Back line almost shredded apart and not being noticed after guy set my lines up...I started setting up my own gear thankfully caught this(and switched bars). 5) Fiberglass surfboard being hit twice on way to set up (concrete and wood). So, it kind of shows me that they are used to people without their own gear (school gear).

There also isn't much of a kite community here. With the exception of people who collectively book the 7-day boat cruise, I have yet to see more than 3 kites in the air at any one spot. Pretty sure El Gouna will be different. I counted 7 kites total from Soma Bay to most Northern part of Hurghada.

Oh, don't bring binoculars; they will either get confiscated or you will be "requested" to pay to keep them. Taxis at airport are a rip off. Not sure if you can, but if you can Uber from airport, do that!

So, if you are interested in a family trip to a hotel for a week or two and don't mind the extra expenditures, go for it. I'm sure the diving and snorkeling are great too as the water is beautiful.

However, if you are a kiter expecting a kite spot, I wouldn't schedule more than a week here.

Just my opinion and since I didn't see anything like this review elsewhere, I figure I would share in case it helps.
Had the same thing in El gouna years ago, center was managed by a lazy MF English guy that imposed fines on you randomly if you rigged/de rigged, walked up if the wind dropped “ Oh, you need to buy all the staff beer” Also because you store your gear in your room that’s another fine because you won’t use the centre

maybe it was that one centre that was a bit shit, but by the sounds of things the same problem still exist

xfact
Rare Poster

Postby xfact » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:42 am

Been to EG more than 8 times. In the past to El Gouna, but lately in Soma Bay only. All trips for a week. Usually end of spring (mid-end of April). Changed a few hotels until I find the perfect location. Deep for foiling, flat for freestyle and boosting. Hurghada sucks with all the crowded resorts. So as Toby said, this forum is very useful for planning such stays, especially if it is longer as yin your case (I envy you a bit here :) )
Anyway, Soma Bay. That is the only spot for me, and wind are good in spring/summer. For OCT-MAR, not really. NOV, well want to go to Brazil. :) My 2C.

Return to “Travel”