Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best kitefoil destination Jan/Feb near-ish Europe

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best kitefoil destination Jan/Feb near-ish Europe

Postby Havre » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:36 pm

Not sure if the wind is much higher, but either way - I don't like to travel outside of Norway/Northern Europe in the few months life is livable up here :lol:

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:56 am

Week 3 is coming to an end, another Zanzibar update:
Last week had nice winds, even often suitable for twintips on 12m and smaller.
Been out on my 8m and 6m a couple of times.
Looks like there is a big storm around Madagaskar that is pulling in some winds.
I foiled now 17 days out of max of 20, of which about 15 proper sessions with good wind (10kn+) and the next week also looks promising.

* Be really careful when leaving your stuff on the beach especially at the end of the day when it can get a bit more crowded.
Anything that is easy to pickup has a high chance of being stolen if unattended.
I heard from people who lost their board/rolled up bar/harness.

* I have been to the “reef” a couple of times now. Water is easily deep enough at high tide to foil there. Nothing special in regards to wave height and the water is quite turbulent in front of the reef making the foil feel quite unstable. I haven’t really got the skills to go into the breaking waves but it’s nice to ride some swell in front of the reef (swell is about 50cm high).
Main drawback is it’s quite a swim back (1.5-2km) if something does go wrong. For this reason I am not pushing my skills/luck there.

* When the tide gets really high (currently peaking at almost +2m) there isn’t any beach left at some kite schools/spots. If you are going to use a kiteschool/storage consider going to one with a higher beach line if you happen to have the more extreme tides when you are here.

* There is some free floating seaweed/plants here and there that can be quite annoying especially in marginal conditions. It usually slows down the foil a bit, no immediate crashes most of the time. If you can jump with the foil it is easy to clear it with a pop out of the water, sometimes just raising the mast a bit is already enough.

* Just something that might be super obvious but maybe not for everyone: there is some, by western standards, extreme poverty here. Often starting just one street behind the beach. I have seen a lot worse on this continent but if you have only seen some nice resort pictures and the blue water you might have forgotten…

Although I am mostly listing some negatives/attention points I am quite enjoying myself here. It’s not the 100% ideal spot but IMHO it’s pretty nice if you go here with the right expectations.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post (total 3):
rw30 (Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:02 pm) • Parksie (Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:54 am) • Rigodon (Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Petra Teneriffa
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 58
Local Beach: Playa de El Médano, Tenerife
Favorite Beaches: Playa de El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core
Has thanked: 0

Postby Petra Teneriffa » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:07 am

Hello,

Welcome to our large sea view surfer house at the famous surfer hotspot of El Médano on Tenerife!

Are you still looking for the perfect wave and would like to live directly at an absolute surfing hotspot, be at the beach in just a few steps with all your equipment, leave your winter clothes at home and enjoy the sun and fascinating nature all year round?

And if you're looking for some animation to be in cool beach bars in just a few steps to talk to nice people with the same passion and live where there is enough entertainment for you and your family all year round?

Then you've found the right place!

We rent our modern large surfer's house near the beach with a fantastic sea view in the surfing paradise El Médano. It is located at the absolute top spot for windsurfers and kiters on the edge of the kilometre-long nature reserve. Due to its direct proximity to the beach it is just perfect for surfers and families. It offers you plenty of space for all your equipment on its two huge terraces so you don't have to rent a room for it and due to its direct beach location you can spontaneously go down to the beach at any time to find the perfect wave!

Because the three bedrooms and two bathrooms are on two different floors our light-flooded duplex house is suitable for two families as well as for a group of friends. It is also perfectly equipped for long-term stays and digital nomads because it has a very fast WLAN fibre optic network in all rooms so you can also work from here at any time.

Especially attractive are its two large sun terraces with a great sea view from which you can enjoy the spectacular sunrise by the sea in the morning or the sunset in the evening. On the upper floor there is a large bedroom with a bright en-suite bathroom and a great balcony with a fantastic view of the sea and the impressive red volcanic mountain Montaña Roja. Downstairs you can find two smaller bedrooms with opposite bathrooms, a large living room with 2 sofas, flat screen SAT TV and a cosy dining area. Our large open high-quality real wood kitchen invites you all to cook together in the evening.

All further information, prices and photos about our great house "Los Vientos" can be found on our website at:

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/52463937

If you don't need so much space we also rent a cozy well-kept apartment with a sensational sea view balcony in El Médano. From here you can also reach the surfers beach in just a few minutes walk. On our website you will find all information about our apartment "Barraquito":

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/43068242

By the way you should remember the name "Barraquito" because that's the name of the really best café on Tenerife!

Because our two accommodations are only a few minutes walk away from each other you can spend a perfect surf vacation together with 8 friends!
The special thing about the location of our two houses is - besides the proximity to the beach and the view to the Montaña Roja - the fascinating view to the 3800 m high volcanic mountain Teide. In winter this mountain is often covered with snow and then offers a simply breathtaking view! All stores for daily needs such as supermarkets and bakeries, nice beach cafes and great restaurants as well as bus stops to all regions of the island are only a few minutes walk from our accommodations so that you do not need a car during your stay.

Here can find more about the wind conditions in El Medano here:

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/de/webca ... edano.html

http://www.surfcenter.el-medano.com/Win ... /index.php

https://wind-hounds.com/destination/tenerife/el-medano/

If you have any questions about the spot and the life on Tenerife just contact us because we are living here for many years and as surfers, triathletes and riders we might have one or the other "secret tip" for you...

Welcome to El Médano - When may we welcome you to a delicious Barraquito?
These users thanked the author Petra Teneriffa for the post:
a99 (Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Travel”