Forum for kitesurfers
KevinD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Effects of leaving gear in your car

Postby KevinD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:46 am

I know that this has previously been discussed because I've read the post before but I couldn't find the previous post. I think the post only discussed the effects of leaving the KITE in the car. I would like to discuss the effects of leaving all gear in the car during hot days and cold nights consistently.

-Boards
-bars
-lines
-kites
-harnesses
-wetsuits

Ok so I remember reading that basically if you leave the kite in a car during a hot day the bladders get really soft and if you leave in in your car at night it gets cold and the rubber bladders get hard. Soon this supposedly causes the bladder to crack and pop when you blow it up. Anybody have pics?
What do you guys think about just putting the kite in an empty ice chest during the hot day while inside the car? Is this enough insulation? haha. just an idea. :idea:

I dont have a parking structure at work and I can't really plan on bringing 2 boards and a kite into my office everyday. Mayybe I could bring my kite. Thats all.

What are the effects if any on leaving BOARDS inside your car during the day and overnight? I think it would be very convenient to just always leave my boards and other gear in the car instead of carrying it in and out EVERY day! That way I am just carrying my kite back and forth this is alot easier!

What about wetsuits? Do they crack if left to bake in the car?
Anybody who has experience with this subject please response I think we would all appreciate the advise because I believe a lot of us do this.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Effects of leaving gear in your car

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:18 am

I'm too new to kites to tell you about heat effects on them, though I have heard about what you wrote
However I have been windsurfing for more than 20 years (including Maui with neoprene vests) and I have never had problems with wetsuits left in the heat

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:20 am

I'm too new to kites to tell you about heat effects on them, though I have heard about what you wrote
However I have been windsurfing for more than 20 years (including Maui with neoprene vests) and I have never had problems with wetsuits left in the heat

dirkydiggler
Medium Poster

Postby dirkydiggler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 am

The effect of me leaving gear in my car was to have my window broken and two kites stolen. I lost a 10m and 14m Monsoonz. They were my go to kites for all conditions. Horrible to have to replace fairly new kites. I didn't want to buy much gear this year. Stupid people that stole them will have no clue what to do with them. I believe they'll end up in the garbage. May have to go dumpster diving!
Any shady characters on your beach with some new Monsoonz, let me know.
Digg

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby randykato » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm

No problems here.... except the same as dirkydiggler. My truck got broken into and they took one kite (of three) and a chest full of some photo supplies - basically what one person could carry.

I think the same thing happened to my stuff - wound up in a dumpster or something. I'm sure the guy got the stuff home, looked at everything and realized he had no clue what the stuff was. Even the supplies were worthless to anybody who didn't do a very specific type of art photo printing.

I got a new kite via my renter's insurance, so the biggest loss was a stack of original, un-reproduce-able prints.

Anyway, back on topic, the only danger to equipment is if it's left in direct sunlight where the UV will deteriorate it, or if you leave bladders inflated.

yakapelli
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cow ponds of Wyoming

Postby yakapelli » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm

What about leaving LEI kites in the car/garage after snowkiting? The kites do get a little wet while flying during the day, but would leaving them in the car/garage over night wreck anything? any worse on the bladders than the canopy?

ckramer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby ckramer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Excessive heat may damage bladders and valves (espevially if left closed they can deform and start leaking).

I heared some boards may start to laminate, but I guess the worst thing that can happen is, as mentioned, broken window and stolen gear.

snowkiter3
Medium Poster

Postby snowkiter3 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:12 pm

I leave my kite in the car after snowkiting because if I bring it inside and leave it in the bag if any snow is in it it couldd melt and then when I go back out the water could freeze if the temp is cold enough. By leaving it in the car the snow just remains intact and next time I go out it will just shake off. No problems yet...
Last edited by snowkiter3 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevinD
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby KevinD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 pm

snowkiter3 wrote:I leave my kite in the car after snowkiting because if I bring it inside and leave it in the bag the snow will melt and then when I go back out the water could freeze if the temp is cold enough. By leaving it in the car the snow just remains intact and next time I go out it will just shake off. No problems yet...
are you using a foil kite or a kite with bladders??

Tyler
Rare Poster

Postby Tyler » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:37 am

I usually leave all my kites and boards in a Thule box all season long and have never (knock on wood) had any issues. Give that a shot. It also keeps all the wet gear out of your car.

Return to “Kitesurfing”