Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Colors?

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Colors?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:46 am
I think you'll find black is more visible than most in our Northern European 'grey sea meets grey sky' than say lighter colours. Not that I'm a fan personally even though it's the predominant colour of the kites we're selling right now, everybody seems to want the black model because our beaches are so dirty and it doesn't show up the mud, oil and other crap we end up getting on our kites here in the UK.
It's good from a commercial standpoint as it's easier to stock, the previous kite companies we dealt with refused to permit ordering by colour so we could never satisfy say a customer who wanted his/her entire quiver in the same colour and whichever colour was popular quickly ran out with the supplier (or so they said, you never really could trust Slingshots word on anything)
Traditionally the worse colour for remaining colourfast against UV is red for reasons unknown to me, but it is more likely to fade, I know this from time spent in the printing industry where the Holy Grail was a red ink that wouldn't fade on posters. So it's Henry Ford for me, you can have any colour kite you like as long as it's black..
OK if you're paying Ford money for Ford products I guess.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 pm

There are many different red dye's and pigments but in general a red indeed fades faster. That is because to see red, many dye's/pigments absorb blue (close to UV) and this has much higher energy/damage than other colors (wevelengths).

This is also why neon colors are in general very sensitive. The idea of neon (more correct, fluorecent) colors is that extra brightness is created by absorbing UV and emitting a color, hence the required decrease in UV protection and the absorbtion of UV.... very high energy!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm

matth wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 am
No a fan of black colors in kites. Give my bright , happy, colors.
OH YEAH :jump: 2011 REB

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:37 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm
matth wrote:

Looks like some funky 80s design :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:57 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:24 pm
matth wrote:

Oooooooo luverrly is there a Pride meeting somewhere? Us girls love pink and purple.. yummee

H2Oaltitude
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, waves and some foiling
Gear: whatever's on sale...
Been thanked: 0

Postby H2Oaltitude » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 am

Zian kiteboarding wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 pm
There are many different red dye's and pigments but in general a red indeed fades faster. That is because to see red, many dye's/pigments absorb blue (close to UV) and this has much higher energy/damage than other colors (wevelengths).

This is also why neon colors are in general very sensitive. The idea of neon (more correct, fluorecent) colors is that extra brightness is created by absorbing UV and emitting a color, hence the required decrease in UV protection and the absorbtion of UV.... very high energy!
Thanks for the explanation on UV of fluorescent colors vs dark colors or black. That clears things in my head... except for those voices that keep me awake at night. :o

''
Captain Core
"everybody seems to want the black model because our beaches are so dirty and it doesn't show up the mud, oil and other crap we end up getting on our kites here in the UK.
Sounds like your trying to bribe the tourism industry with that line... guess I'll cross the UK OFF my list of places I want to go kiting.

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

H2Oaltitude wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 am

Sounds like your trying to bribe the tourism industry with that line... guess I'll cross the UK OFF my list of places I want to go kiting.
:lol: I think you'll find other than for a few hard core wave riders from Scandinavia & the Low countries who occasionally head this way, 90% of the Kite Tourist traffic is export only, we're not high on anyones most wanted kite beach list.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChickenD!ken » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:40 pm

Same for Scandinavia. The whole North Sea coast from NL to DK has some of the most consistent wind anywhere. But since it’s so cold most of the year we don’t really have much to complain about. Maybe some boat traffic during summer months but that’s about it.

Black is fine by me. Makes for easy damage checks from under the canopy.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Just a quick question - this topic was about UV resistance - but at the opposite end of the spectrum - does anyone know whether the current dyes being used are more or less colour fast than they used to be a few years back, when kites (Teijin fabric) get wet.

I have attempted to carefully dry out my kites after use, & have left them with struts inflated indoors to dry out, but still the colours have run slightly and where I had nice white panels, I now have pinkish marks !!

NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM

Postby NotsoShort » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:43 pm

H2Oaltitude wrote: Captain Core
"everybody seems to want the black model because our beaches are so dirty and it doesn't show up the mud, oil and other crap
Don’t forget all the sewage run off / pesticides that get flushed down the rivers into the harbours when it rains. It rains a lot in UK. 😃

Plus the joy of gusty wind and wearing a wet suit mainly all year round. Getting burnt though is less likely.

I prefer darker colours, kites look cleaner

Return to “Kitesurfing”