Forum for kitesurfers
Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Carved Imperator V vs Nomad Prototype Ultra-Carbon

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Has anyone had the chance to compare the two of these boards?

I have heard raving reviews about the Nomad. I have a Carved myself at the moment an LOVE it, but am always looking for the next best thing. Can anyone compare and contrast?

Thanks!!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Carved Imperator V vs Nomad Prototype Ultra-Carbon

Postby plummet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:37 pm

As far as materials and construction methods 2 of the fruitiest boards on the plant. You just need to add brokite to your list for full throth level.

But i can't be of any real help because i haven't seen any of them in the flesh. Just oggled at them on the interweb.

I like the rails and step down deck on the carved. Nomad has a wicked layup on their boards. Brokites ibeam structure is a glorious.

If i was to choose it would be nomad. Only because i prefer their layup.

Kitemanmuc
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Big Air, Kiteloops, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Kitemanmuc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Thanks Plummet! Thats who I am leaning towards.

Bossstyle
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Portland
Style: Freeride
Gear: F-one bandit 11m 2018
F-one bandit 9m 2018
F-one Mitu pro surf board
Flyradical 5 twin tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bossstyle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:04 pm

I am also looking at getting a new board and interested in these three boards, I too would love to know someone’s thoughts of the carved, bro kite and nomad.
Maybe one of the magazines should do a test it would be interesting.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:27 pm

I've had a Nomad 3 years now and am very pleased. I sent email to Carved stating what I wanted and asked difference between the Carved Imperator and Core equivalent which was about 60% price in UK. The reply was buy the Carved, you won't go wrong, no justification. I was unimpressed! I sent the same email content to Simon at Nomad and got a wonderfully detailed response saying how he would alter layup and rocker. We exchanged several more emails and I opted for the Prototype (middle) construction. Since then he has developed his products still further.

jb8431
Rare Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: freeride, freestyle
Gear: core kites

Postby jb8431 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 am

Hey brothers,

I own the imperator iv. I also owned the nomad ultra wave. These are both different boards in terms of style, but when analyzing construction they are quite different. First of all the imperator is not a true custom board , it is a top shelf carbon constructed smaller production, made in Germany, all around kiteboard ; and it is very good at pretty much everything. The imperator is the lightest most comfortable board in almost any condition that I have tried or owned. I've used boards that might be faster and maybe a little stiffer if that's a desirable trait , but none of them have come close to the all-around performance of this board. It took no time to get used to and was like a perfect fitting shoe, but the one thing lacking that nomad can do is Taylor the boards flex characteristic for your weight, make the correct size for your stats and riding conditions, and adjust inserts for your desirable foot positions. I kite A lot so I want a board that performs in almost all conditions,won't wear out quickly, and is forgiving on my knees as much as possible to prevent injury. I would say pretty much if you're not a pro or an extremely athletic and aggressive kiter A production board such as the imperator Will be your best choice if you want a high end kiteboard.

Simon from nomad is awesome. He absolutely knows what he's doing he's an expert at this type of laminate construction. However, when you buy a custom board there is no telling how it's actually going to feel in real world conditions until you ride it. If you don't like it the problem is it's custom-made for your specific stats and may not be desirable for someone to buy from you. Now you're stuck with a board that just didn't work out for you as much as you wanted. Simon has worked out A lot of the research and development into his designs, but if you Tailer some of the aspects of the board it becomes customized to you. For the every day rider I think carved has made an awesome board without being completely custom to an individual rider, but will be the closest to a custom board without the worry of getting it wrong since it's been designed for real world conditions, but with premium construction techniques.

I ended up selling my nomad because I found it to be too stiff. I had 1 foot position built into it, but in hindsight I would've liked more positions in order to change the way I road the board. Simon advocated going for the one position. it's saved a little money and a little weight which neither was worth doing that. By the way I sold it for less than half of what I paid for it and it was in nearly perfect condition besides a few cosmetic things.

Anyway, just some things to think about when buying a custom made board. Do you think you really need that. In hindsight I do not. It was better for me to buy a high-end production board that was built for real world conditions.
These users thanked the author jb8431 for the post:
iriejohn (Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm

So,

Tell us please what exactly you are doing with your board Muc?

Can u do a hand drag? Front roll transitions with a grab? Any boards off? Darkslides? The list goes on.

See, all off this can be done with a plywood board. Plus boosting.

The board does not make u a better kiter....

Spending time kiting does.

D.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jbrook » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:23 am

I have a Carved Imperator 5 130x39, I use as my high wind board. I am 175cm tall and 82kg I like to ride powered and found this was my favorite of the 3 size Carved boards I demoed, I tried 128x38 and 133x41. I find 39 to be the width I like for jumping powered. I tried the 130x39 and immediately wanted to buy it after 2 tacks. I did not need a new board but really I felt like Cinderella. It rides sooo smooth and I guess for my size and weight is the perfect combo. It really does everything really good hard to explain. Attached are a few photos showing this board. It has 4 hard and long seasons and is still going strong, I had broken many boards in the past but not anymore. :bye:
Attachments
JB1.jpg
IMG-20171209-WA0101.jpg

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:02 am

I tried a Nomad freeride shape middle construction in Brazil and loved it... great in chop, holds a solid edge when carving on the flat, fun in 2m waves. Fitted me like a glove. I understand though what job was saying. I ended up buying the Fusion Chouce. It does all that and with the difference in price you can pay yourself a trip to try it.

The nomad wave shape is also amazing, a guy near me has 3 of them and I got to try them all... great carry boards with enough pop to throw basic hooked rotations.

Hydro from Italy makes the most amazing looking carbon boards with a metallic finish. I tried his last shape in Brazil, the fins were too big for my liking but the rail is really easy to dig in the water for an amazing pop on totally flat water. 1vsize, 136x41...like it or leave it.

I tried the Imperator 3 ages ago, real good board but at the end of the day, it is pretty much a surfy, Carvy freeride board. 6-7 years later I’m sure they got much better.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:28 am

jb8431 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 am
It was better for me to buy a high-end production board that was built for real world conditions.
Agree with you. Which is why I've just bought a second Lieuwe Shotgun 138x42 (my current Shotgun is 136x40.5) to use in lighter wind conditions with my Zephyr (17m) and biggest Enduro (12m) . The Lieuwe Shotgun works really well in our conditions. I've had carbon fibre boards but do not like them because I find non-carbon fibre boards provide better damping in choppy conditions.
Last edited by iriejohn on Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”