Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Forum for kitesurfers
ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ocean Rodeo stick shift bar

Postby ORSales » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:36 pm
So, I read a video comment somewhere that the next generation Stick Shift bar is making it's rounds. Any tech or info on it?
Can't say much other than that we are far from done with the Stick Shift's bar design. It is our goal to continue to drive that bar's development forward for years to come. As with all our products, iterative year-over-year changes will also be introduced as we work to refine the user experience...

Translation: stay tuned!

JZ

Kemperman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 78
Style: Big air, freeride
Gear: Duotone Rebel, North Orbit
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kemperman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Look at this picture. Ben Wilson has the same bar?!
https://www.bwsurf.com/product/bwsurf-blue-chip-bar/

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm

Ocean Rodeo has obviously licensed the design to BW Surf, with production using the same molding tools and components with some changes in plastic resin colours.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:29 am

GregK wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm
Ocean Rodeo has obviously licensed the design to BW Surf, with production using the same molding tools and components with some changes in plastic resin colours.
I think the designer licensed the design first to OR and now to BW.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 am

Very cool, nice to see another manufacturer appreciating an innovative design and licensing it instead of copying it. :thumb:
I know BWS always appreciated a simple bar with no extra bits to distract in the surf, so this seems like a great fit being that it's such a clean looking bar. (no trim straps dangling above or below)

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am

Peert wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:29 am
GregK wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:40 pm
I think the designer licensed the design first to OR and now to BW.
Not a chance .... R3 Design is Richard, Ross and I think the industrial designer, another R. They spent years on this, from what I heard. Some day Ihope to gget the story of the legal wrangling that must have gone on between them and north.

For bws adoption....the prior OR control bar used components of bws undertow bar (along with a bunch of other companies). Must be a cconnection there. Agreed that stick shift is the cleanest bar out there. ....perfect for surf use.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 am

FYI Richard Myerscough and Ross Harrington are principals in Ocean Rodeo. 3rd R is a fellow in Europe, expert in CAD and plastic part design, believe his first name is Rudi.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am

It seems a lot of kite companies are sharing design and manufacturing sources.
My last Switch kite had an invoice made out from some Hong Kong company.
My switch footpads look like branded ones of these: https://yetikiteboarding.com/product/co ... e-footpad/
(Next time I make my own board I'll buy from the source)
The new switchkites 4 chickenloop looks very like the Ikon 3 chickenloop with a slot in the same place, pin in the same place, slightly different outside look to the quick release and exactly the same donkey d1ck.
Fast inflate valves.. the same. The quick release on the OR stickshift, bluechip, Ikon and Switchkites controllers all have the same functional design and probably the same designer. Bet there are a lot of other kites using it too.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:05 am

fluidity wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am
It seems a lot of kite companies are sharing design and manufacturing sources.
My last Switch kite had an invoice made out from some Hong Kong company.
My switch footpads look like branded ones of these: https://yetikiteboarding.com/product/co ... e-footpad/
(Next time I make my own board I'll buy from the source)
The new switchkites 4 chickenloop looks very like the Ikon 3 chickenloop with a slot in the same place, pin in the same place, slightly different outside look to the quick release and exactly the same donkey d1ck.
Fast inflate valves.. the same. The quick release on the OR stickshift, bluechip, Ikon and Switchkites controllers all have the same functional design and probably the same designer. Bet there are a lot of other kites using it too.
Here's the R3-design website: http://r3-designs.com/
Not sure how I'd go with industrial design as my day job, more experienced in electronic and software but I have a bit of stuff up on thingiverse as user fluidity including some early test fins and kiteboard designs of my own. Some of these skills become more widespread as people grow up with 3D printing etc, other skills die off a bit, working with your hands is replaced with working with machinery.

The Captain
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby The Captain » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 am
Very cool, nice to see another manufacturer appreciating an innovative design and licensing it instead of copying it. :thumb:
I know BWS always appreciated a simple bar with no extra bits to distract in the surf, so this seems like a great fit being that it's such a clean looking bar. (no trim straps dangling above or below)
I would also consider it a strong endorsement of the design. It is unlikely to be sought after for licensing if it is crap.

Return to “Kitesurfing”