Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 am

So I have finally had my full spectrum patch testing... I am allergic to diethylthiourea which is an additive used to make Neoprene... Good new is the Patagonia Yulex suits are reported not to have this diethylthiourea additive... looks like I'll be spending some money.

Hope this works!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alford » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 pm

bc-sf wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm
I'm happy to say that whatever was on the surface layer of the hyperflex wetsuit interior has mostly settled out, though I still occasionally get some mild irritation when my harness is loose and causing some rubbing. I picked up a 1mil neoprene top, and that really helped - it's a much better barrier than a rashguard. Suit is still holding up well otherwise.
Which Hyperflex suit?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:25 pm

alford wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:20 pm
bc-sf wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm
I'm happy to say that whatever was on the surface layer of the hyperflex wetsuit interior has mostly settled out, though I still occasionally get some mild irritation when my harness is loose and causing some rubbing. I picked up a 1mil neoprene top, and that really helped - it's a much better barrier than a rashguard. Suit is still holding up well otherwise.
Which Hyperflex suit?
I reacted to the Amp3 Kite, but its more then just hyperflex, most new style wetsuits have more of this diethylthiourea because it helps to make the suits more flexible.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Good luck let us know how it works out. And everyone said you couldn't be allergic to neoprene!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:10 pm

I asked Hyperlex about the use of diethylthiourea, here's their "response" .

Hello,
I’m sorry we only manufacturer the suits we do not manufacturer the material it is from China.
Thank you,
Customer Service

I was actually considering a suit from them but not after a dumb-ass answer like that.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm

alford wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello,
I’m sorry we only manufacturer the suits we do not manufacturer the material it is from China.
Thank you,
Customer Service

I was actually considering a suit from them but not after a dumb-ass answer like that.
Perhaps a bit terse, but surely you don't expect every manufacturer to make every part used in their products. Hyperflex makes some really nice wetsuits for great prices, I've owned 3 :)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:13 pm

alford wrote:

Hello,
Thank you,
Customer Service

That is simply unbelievable and completely and unacceptable answer. They were about that helpful when I contacted them years ago, at least they allowed me to return the suit at no cost to me... I can pretty much guarantee 99% of neoprene wetsuits have diethylthiourea in them. It is simply the easiest and cheapest method to make the neoprene more stretchy and flexible.
FYI, it was also named allergen of the year in 2009 due to its sudden increase in reported cases of Contact Dermatitis ... hmmm seems about right, isn't that about the same time when manufactures started offering lighter and more flexible wet suits?
This is nothing new, the wet suit companies have known about this for years, it is why Patagonia clearly states that their suits do not contain Thioureas...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 pm

dylan* wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm
alford wrote:

Hello,
Thank you,
Customer Service

Perhaps a bit terse, but surely you don't expect every manufacturer to make every part used in their products. Hyperflex makes some really nice wetsuits for great prices, I've owned 3 :)
No but they should at least know what is used in the manufacturing of the materials they do use, especially when it is widely known that one of the common ingredients in new neoprene is causing contact dermatitis

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

DRYSUIT :thumb:

Why not an undergarment as a barrier if you stay with wetsuit.

http://www.wetsuit.com/2New_ExoSkin_Tops.html

Exoskin lite can be worn inside wetsuits.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm
DRYSUIT :thumb:

Why not an undergarment as a barrier if you stay with wetsuit.
lol come on... Drysuits are great but they certainly do not compare to the comfort and flexibility of a wetsuit

The chemical leeches out of the neoprene and is carried to the skin via the water in the suit, once there where ever water is held there is contact to the skin. It helps but I still react even with full rash gaurd top and pants under my wetsuit.
The ecoskin rubber coating likely has the same additive in it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”