Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Postby matth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 pm
matth wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm
DRYSUIT :thumb:

Why not an undergarment as a barrier if you stay with wetsuit.
lol come on... Drysuits are great but they certainly do not compare to the comfort and flexibility of a wetsuit

The chemical leeches out of the neoprene and is carried to the skin via the water in the suit, once there where ever water is held there is contact to the skin. It helps but I still react even with full rash gaurd top and pants under my wetsuit.
The ecoskin rubber coating likely has the same additive in it.

Personal choice I guess, but I could not disagree more about comfort and freedom when it come to WS vs DS. Not to mention the freezing nuts and contortionist abilities it takes to put on and take off. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm
Laughingman wrote:
matth wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm
DRYSUIT :thumb:

Why not an undergarment as a barrier if you stay with wetsuit.
lol come on... Drysuits are great but they certainly do not compare to the comfort and flexibility of a wetsuit

The chemical leeches out of the neoprene and is carried to the skin via the water in the suit, once there where ever water is held there is contact to the skin. It helps but I still react even with full rash gaurd top and pants under my wetsuit.

Personal choice I guess, but I could not disagree more about comfort and freedom when it come to WS vs DS. Not to mention the freezing nuts and contortionist abilities it takes to put on and take off. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Fair enough... I haven't actually tried a new drysuit. The one I have is from 2009, it has a lycra skin that makes it very difficult to put on and off as it compresses the waterproof layer. I struggled so much putting it on and off and when trying to put my board on as it would bunch up and I couldn't bring my knees high enough, I swore I would never buy another one.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 pm

At least Hyperflex refunded your money, good of them. Patagonia is on to something imo with Yulex. All suits seemingly are now super stretchy and at least fairly well made and warm, even the lower cost ones. Maybe the next "standard" will be a less chemically saturated or all natural neoprene/rubber like Yulex. It's something to think about, wearing a skin-tight suit saturated with water and sweat-seems like a perfectly efficient mechanism for transferring or leaching nasty additives and chemicals into our bodies. I need a new suit and I'm going to give Patagonia a try.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm

I thought a lot of the modern wetsuits had some sort of bamboo lining..

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm
matth wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 pm
Laughingman wrote:

Fair enough... I haven't actually tried a new drysuit. The one I have is from 2009, it has a lycra skin that makes it very difficult to put on and off as it compresses the waterproof layer. I struggled so much putting it on and off and when trying to put my board on as it would bunch up and I couldn't bring my knees high enough, I swore I would never buy another one.
The new Ocean Rodeo designs are great. Super easy to put on and take off, durable, easy to repair, double layer on top, and great looking. The Heat model is a great value at around 599$

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 pm

There is new limestone neoprene. Does it contain this allergen?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:48 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm
I thought a lot of the modern wetsuits had some sort of bamboo lining..
The lining makes no difference, the chemicals still leech out, it’s why Wetsuit’s dont last forever they are in a constant state of decay.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes, I specifically had them patch test a limestone based neoprene and I ended up with red spots the exact shape of the test patch...lol. But yah as far as I know all new Wetsuit’s contain it.

BTW My family is from Lithuania, good riding there? We have considered a trip to see the Grey Dunes.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:53 pm
WH Lithuania wrote:

Yes, I specifically had them patch test a limestone based neoprene and I ended up with red spots the exact shape of the test patch...lol. But yah as far as I know all new Wetsuit’s contain it.
Even Patagonia contains it?
Laughingman wrote:
BTW My family is from Lithuania, good riding there? We have considered a trip to see the Grey Dunes.
You should definitely visit Grey Dunes (we call it Dead Dunes) if you come to Lithuania. Kiting is hit or miss if you plan ahead, however light breeze for hidryfoil is pretty common at the coast line. Shoot me PM before your trip!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:55 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 pm
Laughingman wrote:
WH Lithuania wrote:

Even Patagonia contains it?
No Patagonia suits are made with mostly Ulex which is plant based. They do still have some traditional neoprene elements mixed in but they specifically state they do not contain Diethyltheriua

BTW I had them patch test the Patagonia neoprene and lining so one patch with the neoprene in contact with skin and one with the lining. No reaction!
These users thanked the author Laughingman for the post:
THOR_NADO (Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”