Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono V2 UL 18m

For all foil kite riders
wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono V2 UL 18m

Postby wil » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 am

I have only just used my 12m Hyperlink twice. First time went ok till the wind dropped and it did a perfect Hindenburg and then it became impossible to relaunch. filled up with lots of water. Got rescued. Second time was in 8 to 10 knots wind but a bit up and down with patches with very light wind. Dropped the kite 3 times. Even after if rolled over a few times and got tangled got it up. I was quite pleased with that because I would not have been able to relaunch my Cabrinha Apollo 12m. I am an beginner to intermediate foiler and had some trouble getting used to under looping it. I also have an 18m Chrono V2 UL but this is such a big kite that I am not that comfortable taking that out yet in fluky wind conditions. Do not want to swim in with that much material. My question is what is the most cost effective way of getting a foil kite between these sizes. I presume the Pansh (either Aurora or A15 Ul versions) could do the trick. Do the Pansh kites handle a lot different from the Hyperlink?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: which kite to complement Ozone Hyperlink 12m and Ozone Chrono V2 UL 18m

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:14 am

wil wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:05 am
My question is what is the most cost effective way of getting a foil kite between these sizes. I presume the Pansh (either Aurora or A15 Ul versions) could do the trick. Do the Pansh kites handle a lot different from the Hyperlink?
Yes a15 in light cloth is to me a very good low cost 'beginner compatible' foilkite, with a very good stability and relaunch ; It is less agile and fun than Pulsion (and certainly Hyperlink) but does the job very well, at least in 9m that I have in my quiver (see http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... h#p1007322 ) .

The HL you have is certainly a very good kite for you currently (and more robust I suppose). So just a matter of sizes depending on your weight and wind range objective. Generally you should try limit to 12m or 9m (unless you are a heavy rider for a 15m2) until you get experienced skills with foilkites and reduce your drop-in-water rate).

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 pm

I would be quite surprised if any Pansh kite would give you more low end performance for hydrofoiling than the 12m Hyperlink.

If you are pushing the low end limit of keeping the kite in the air then kite weight vs lift is your issue. I have a15 in 9 ultralight and Hyperlink 9 regular cloth. The Hyperlink 9 is 100 grams lighter, generates more power, more depower and is pretty much better in every way. The only downside is the Hyperlink can front stall if you are not careful. Both fly in extremely light winds. But the hyperlink has less weight and more lift. At 190 pounds I don't feel the need for a larger kite than my 9.

So before buying a new kite I would:

1) Make sure the 12m Hyperlink is not covered in sand and not pulling water out of the air with salt on its skin. If the kite is wet when you land it even if you kept it out of the water then salt is pulling humidity into the cloth. Also maybe a kg of sand or more will stick to the skin and that is not helping your kite fly in light winds.

2) Fly the kite with a long lines bar. I'm using 30 meter lines with Q-Power pro 600# on the front and Q-power 300# on the rear. The lighter rear lines helps the kite feel responsive with such long lines.

3) Set the bar up so you can backstall the kite about 10 cm. If you pull it back into the wind window in the lightest of winds you may be able to prevent the dreaded hindenburg tip tuck invert of a front stall. I would not try to tune the front-stall out of the kite because I think that gives its fast flying performance. Just recognize that you need to actively prevent overflying the kite especially in light shifty winds especially if the kite is not moving through the air.

4) Above all fly the kite to keep it out of the water. Even though there is excellent chance for relaunch and a better chance to keep it out of the water than a tube kite. In the lightest winds a wet foil kite is a session killer.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:06 am

The most cost effective would be Kitech FRS 15M which is stable and just as good kite as your Hypelink. The best solution would be the Flysurfer Soul 15M which is not out yet.
Otherwise it is super important that in case of any turbulance you can stall totaly your kite so it is really important to set your bar this way. The Flysufer bars ways better from this viewpoint as the chicken loops are not that big. Flysurfer chickenloops ca 16-17 cm long while some general tubekite unhooking chickeloops are 20-22 cm so there is a 5 cm depower difference. Not to speak from the fact that you need the moveable floaters at the end of your bar to be able to catch them and stall the kite in case of frontal collapse, as this is the way how you can stop the kite from hindenburg. So if you have a foil kite you might like it better with a foil kite specific bar.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 am

^
How would you know what's best if not out yet? :lol:

Anyways, the FS bar is not the greatest invention on the Planet, far from it. Judging the bar by the chicken loop and floaters is not the best in my books.

Put it this way, if I set the FS bar on the widest, the knot which enables that is the line catcher. Super annoying. The chicken loop is secured with a small ring (v2) which is another line catcher, and can be pulled out completely risking opening. The bar itself has plastic ends, completely off the current trends with soft rubber. And much more...

But, flying a foil is not about the bar. The bar is a tool for flying skills. If it isn't, the race bars would be super complex, but they are not. Super simple that is.

Just saying.

D.

PS
As above, splashing a kite with tap water after salt water bath is a go. No one talks about it, but salt is a no-no. Salt plus sand is a tube kites cloth and bladder killer as well. My kites are still super crisp after years of kiting (150-200 seshs/year 90% on 11m).

If your kite has no vents on tips, well, that is a bugger. Install one than and wash/dry properly every now and then.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:43 am

I will second jakemoore in the notion that 15m AR15 will be redundant kite for you. As he mentioned Hyperlink is much better kite than Pansh. HL 12m is currently my low end option. I own AR15 in 9m and 12m. Hardly ever use them. Owned 18m as well but sold it very quickly when I realized I do as well with Sonic 11 (on hydrofoil). Unless Pansh updated bridles since I bought it, AR15 is not that enjoyable to fly in comparison to FS or Ozone kites (very vague bar feel and poor depower). You might be quite disappointed with it. It would be different if you only had Pansh kites and small budget.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:11 am

I have high very hopes for the Soul. Time will tell.

Today I had an epic session on the HL-5. Stunt kiting while riding head and a half waves on my shortboard. Wind was 25-30 knots.

This previously was territory for the 8m FS speed 4 or 7m C4. I like the power for size philosophy. The HL-5 is not the fastest turning 5, but it turns faster than those previous kites and is so so light.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:13 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 am

As above, splashing a kite with tap water after salt water bath is a go. No one talks about it, but salt is a no-no. Salt plus sand is a tube kites cloth and bladder killer as well. My kites are still super crisp after years of kiting (150-200 seshs/year 90% on 11m).

If your kite has no vents on tips, well, that is a bugger. Install one than and wash/dry properly every now and then.
Interesting. I'm much less disciplined about rinsing salt from the balloon kites. Maybe I will start.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am

Gents, the Soul is not out yet, why putting highlight on it now ? it seems to have a lot of internal reinforcements, and FS was not searching weight saving for years, so guessing it will be a lightwind killer is optimistic ...
I agree with Jakemoore, a15 is not so ultralight (1.79 kg for 9m so heavier than my Pulsion ... 12m !) and will not have a better low end than HL.

Wil, with all above information, could you now rephrase what are your hesitations to focuss our answers ? if you are looking for absolute low end and below your current HL, you need to think of the next HL in ultralight cloth or even better the Pulsion skytex 27gr 12m or 15m that has unbeatable low end (similar or better to single skins) according to my personal experiences, discussions, and 1 teacher + 1 light expert that own both HL and Pulsion. It has less (no) fronstall when you release the bar; however do not hope to save tons of low end before you reach a skilled level, since standard HL is already an efficient user friendly low-end kite.

wil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Raglan, Tauranga New Zealand
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki
Style: free ride
Gear: Switch Kites and Decay boards, Naish Venturi, NJS CF6, Makaira Zeeko foil, Home made foil Clearwater creations wings
Been thanked: 0

Postby wil » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 am

Regis and jakemoore. I am coming to the conclusion that I would be best to fly the 12m Hyperlink on longer lines. I have 25m lines and 20m lines. Also will try to set up so the kite will back stall a bit when bar fully pulled in. I bought the Chrono V2 18m UL in the hope of getting into the lowest wind range but I have found that when the wind becomes flyky all kites will drop and then I would have to deal with a lot of cloth to get back up in the air or roll up and prepare for the big swim of shame.

I might sell the Chrono V2 18m UL and perhaps find a pulsion at some stage. I noticed that the Hyperlink can over fly a bit and I should just be more careful. Only used the Hyperlink twice so there is still a lot of learning ahead.

In regards to getting the kite to back stall what are the suggestion in terms of back or front line length's?

Return to “Foil Kites”