Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Video: Cabrinha Quickloop Adjustable Bar. Trimlite Vs Recoil System

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am

Cabrinha Quickloop Adjustable Bar. Trimlite Vs Recoil System.

Cabrinha has a lot of bar options and it can be quite confusing. This video breaks down the difference between the trim system on the adjustable bars with the traditional quick loop connection system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNjE9bLtaVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNjE9bLtaVw

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Re: Video: Cabrinha Quickloop Adjustable Bar. Trimlite Vs Recoil System

Postby badgb21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Ok, I’m a Cabrinha fan boy, ever since the first bow crossbow kite, but they have made a ‘feast’ of recent bars with all the options.
I have/had most iterations and I have regular to long arms and find with 2016 ones;
The recoil is ok, but I think unnecessary, the spring is a pain to wind up. Maybe a short-armed person may benefit?
The adjustable bars (especially with the recoil) are way too heavy.
The unwind joint is good and easy to untwist.
Fixed length trimlite – fine.
(Check the bar flags ok, there have been issues with it sticking)

Changing to a fireball connection looks too tiresome – I Think this has been improved for later years.

More likely to try a fireball type system out if it was readily interchangeable on the beach with another hook if necessary.

Carrying all these variations surely drives up cost, a pain for spares, over complicates it and confuses people (to the point folks feel it necessary to make videos to explain the options!)

Come on Cabrinha KISS.

Largorn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Largorn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:38 pm
[…]
[…]
Honest question, as I already read the same statement a few days ago: What is the advantage of very light bars, except for traveling? People are excited that the Core Bar is so light and criticize Slingshot and Cabrinha for being too heavy. I've been riding Slingshot on and off during the last 7 years, switched to Cabrinha last year and I'm at a mid-unhooked level (Raley to Blind, Blind-Judge). I have never felt the need to have a lighter bar. I demoed the Core Bar and there is definitely a big difference in the feeling of the bar, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or that heavy bars are bad.
I mentioned a few brand names, but really don't want to turn this into a fanboy or bashing discussion. I honestly don't get the big disadvantage of heavier bars.

On a sidenote, I just put the 2018 Cabrinha Overdrive bar and the 17" and 20" 2016 Slingshot bars on a scale, to understand how heavy they really are.
2018 Cabrinha Overdrive Quickloop Trimlite: 1250g
2016 Slingshot Sentinel 17": 1050g
2016 Slingshot Sentinel 20": 1280g
This confirms my impression that the weight of the Overdrive bar just feels normal to me, not extremely heavy.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Heavy bar just feels dull and slightly cumbersome.
True, a disadvantage when travelling.
I use a bar per kite or across 2 kites. I never adjust the bar once I've set it.
It's not the end of the world, but I just prefer the feel of the lighter fixed trimlite bar.
You pays your money and takes your choice.

I imagine heavier bar would hurt more if it hit your head.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 am

badgb21 wrote:
Ok, I’m a Cabrinha fan boy, ever since the first bow crossbow kite, but they have made a ‘feast’ of recent bars with all the options.
I have/had most iterations and I have regular to long arms and find with 2016 ones;
The recoil is ok, but I think unnecessary, the spring is a pain to wind up. Maybe a short-armed person may benefit?

Changing to a fireball connection looks too tiresome – I Think this has been improved for later years.

More likely to try a fireball type system out if it was readily interchangeable on the beach with another hook if necessary.

Carrying all these variations surely drives up cost, a pain for spares, over complicates it and confuses people (to the point folks feel it necessary to make videos to explain the options!)

Come on Cabrinha KISS.
You're winding up the recoil bar wrong ;)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:38 am

Largorn wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:53 pm
badgb21 wrote:
[…]
[…]
Honest question, as I already read the same statement a few days ago: What is the advantage of very light bars, except for traveling? People are excited that the Core Bar is so light and criticize Slingshot and Cabrinha for being too heavy. I've been riding Slingshot on and off during the last 7 years, switched to Cabrinha last year and I'm at a mid-unhooked level (Raley to Blind, Blind-Judge). I have never felt the need to have a lighter bar. I demoed the Core Bar and there is definitely a big difference in the feeling of the bar, but I wouldn't say it's necessarily better or that heavy bars are bad.
I mentioned a few brand names, but really don't want to turn this into a fanboy or bashing discussion. I honestly don't get the big disadvantage of heavier bars.

On a sidenote, I just put the 2018 Cabrinha Overdrive bar and the 17" and 20" 2016 Slingshot bars on a scale, to understand how heavy they really are.
2018 Cabrinha Overdrive Quickloop Trimlite: 1250g
2016 Slingshot Sentinel 17": 1050g
2016 Slingshot Sentinel 20": 1280g
This confirms my impression that the weight of the Overdrive bar just feels normal to me, not extremely heavy.
Depends where the mass is -- the Overdrive has those mechanisms at the end, which is noticeable. But people get used to it, so it just depends what's going to bother you...

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Langebaan
Cape Verde

Postby badgb21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah must be. I'm a kook who never kites, never tries mew methods, never researches online, never thinks of new methods. ;)
Ozone bar or Cab Trimlite fixed are my preferred bars, just my opinion.

Maybe we should all drive Trabants, we'll get used to them!

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 am
badgb21 wrote:

Come on Cabrinha KISS.
You're winding up the recoil bar wrong ;)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am

badgb21 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am
Yeah must be. I'm a kook who never kites, never tries mew methods, never researches online, never thinks of new methods. ;)

Yeah so it was pointed out to me today that the newer Recoil is longer and if you have a shorter bar, it's less tidy. The owner's solution was to add a gentle loop around the bar to "shorten" the PU tube so only the line wraps around the bar ends. Works fine ;)

Trimlite fixed for my new Cab bar too. The trim line is getting chewed up rapidly through, looks ratty. I only just prefer it due to the reduction in bulk above the bar.

I'll pass on the Trabant though :lol:

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Langebaan
Cape Verde

Postby badgb21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Sounds like the best way. There are a couple of vids online and I end up with some kind of hybrid!
So long as not kinking the PU tube and lines are not stress or will get jumbled up when next unwound, it'll do.
Winding can also depend on how bother/knackered I am and how much time I have too.
Similar to kites, big dry kite and not much time, then may need to forego the bag and load straight into car. (always seems to fit in bag easier, packing in the garage as kite has relaxed and air escaped).
Anyone following this thread and doesn't mind a slightly heavier bar, there is a great deal in the adjustable Cab bars here;
https://www.silentsports.com/Kiteboardi ... /KC16BAR2/

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am
badgb21 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:58 am

Yeah so it was pointed out to me today that the newer Recoil is longer and if you have a shorter bar, it's less tidy. The owner's solution was to add a gentle loop around the bar to "shorten" the PU tube so only the line wraps around the bar ends. Works fine ;)

Trimlite fixed for my new Cab bar too. The trim line is getting chewed up rapidly through, looks ratty. I only just prefer it due to the reduction in bulk above the bar.

I'll pass on the Trabant though :lol:

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 pm

It's best to wind the bars by pulling the loop and mainline assembly far enough away from the bar so that the trim system doesn't make it to the bar end when you are winding the lines. that first wrap doesn't need to be tight. Kinking the main line (the black polyurethane tube) is not good. Leave that part loose and wrap only the bare lines tightly. The line winder bungees on the ends will keep everything tidy and managed on the bar ends.

The fixed trim lite control systems are super light. The quickloop is arguably the best functioning release system on the market. If weight is super important, then zero in on the fixed trim lite systems. The Recoil is very much still in demand. It contains the trim system, keeps the trim very close to the rider, and doesn't use a stopper which defeats the first level of security, which is to simply push the bar away to depower the kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”