Gear: F-One Bandits, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Piq, Xensr or Woo?

Postby mopman365 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 am
Hmmm I don't know anyone locally that bought the $250+ Woo thats still working and not died..
Was that the first version? I read somewhere there were waterproofing issues with the firsts batches - all replaced under warranty. Woo 2 version seems fine, there are loads of them on the waters around here.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:21 pm

mopman365 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm
ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Hmmm I don't know anyone locally that bought the $250+ Woo thats still working and not died..
Was that the first version? I read somewhere there were waterproofing issues with the firsts batches - all replaced under warranty. Woo 2 version seems fine, there are loads of them on the waters around here.

They replaced them all for free :D

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 am
I just can't see how giving away a free app is going to keep the lights on when they aren't earning any other revenue as far as I can see.
i have no idea how that free app stuff works. but there are lots of free apps out there. i wonder if this has anything to do with it?? https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-serie ... orts-watch nets see, nike, some hiking app and sessions app feared on apple website. :jump: this stuff kinda blows my mind...right!?!? apple is doing snowboarding and other sports and that intel guy talked to a while back thought that the xenser and apple thing had more going on than meets the eye. who knows? all I know is that my session app works and i love it. free or whatever. they could charge for it. they should charge for it. a free app that does more than your $250 woo. :heartface:

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pm

maffhieu wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:21 pm
mopman365 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:07 pm
ShaveTheWhales wrote:

I Hate to wreck your day But they were not replaced for free..

You had to pay to get one and consumer protection by law says they have to be replaced if faulty etc..

Two of my friends Woo 2 have recently died as well..

My $8 watch still works - Fark yeah :)

Largorn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot

Postby Largorn » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:17 pm
Where did you get that from? I have two friends who got a free WOO 2.0 replacement for their WOO 1.0 with corroded contacts, even got a free Frequent Flyer mount with it.
My WOO 1.0 had corroded contacts as well, but I just used the upgrade deal they had in place when the 2.0 came out. Can't blame the company for that though, mine still worked with the corrosion and I didn't feel the need to complain.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 pm

Largorn wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pm
ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Where did you get that from? I have two friends who got a free WOO 2.0 replacement for their WOO 1.0 with corroded contacts, even got a free Frequent Flyer mount with it.
My WOO 1.0 had corroded contacts as well, but I just used the upgrade deal they had in place when the 2.0 came out. Can't blame the company for that though, mine still worked with the corrosion and I didn't feel the need to complain.
Duh - of course you have to buy one for it to become faulty !
Thats not a 'free' replacement !
You didn't get it for free - you got a replacement for a funked up Woo thats bound by law to be replaced !

I do like your single story experience - try telling that to the people whos woo died...
Same old split case leaked corroded wouldn't turn on wouldn't charge or unable to connect boring Yarn..

Rock on - my Waterproof 3 year reliable $8 supermarket watch - Fark yeah ;)

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:41 am

maffhieu wrote:

while i never owned a wooster, literally everyone i know here who bought one has had 2 or 3 replacements. now I'm no math wiz, but when your product sells for 199 or 249 and you have to replace it 2 or 3 times, I'm guessing that you are deep... DEEP in the red on the product. so much that id bet they lost money on most of those sales. a lot of those sales. and to the post about the session app not making money well it aint losing money like a wooster! :jump:

and the dude with the el cheapo waterproof watch that is still working.....?? frick yeah dude! :thumb:

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 am

CaliRider wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:41 am
maffhieu wrote:

while i never owned a wooster, literally everyone i know here who bought one has had 2 or 3 replacements. now I'm no math wiz, but when your product sells for 199 or 249 and you have to replace it 2 or 3 times, I'm guessing that you are deep... DEEP in the red on the product. so much that id bet they lost money on most of those sales. a lot of those sales. and to the post about the session app not making money well it aint losing money like a wooster! :jump:

and the dude with the el cheapo waterproof watch that is still working.....?? frick yeah dude! :thumb:

I'm actually on my 6th Woo 1.0
The last one is going strong for 1+year now... I have to admit everytime one of my woo died i was bumped but they kept replacing them for free even after the one year warranty

The actual device cost around 10$, when you buy a Woo you are actually buying the app. Developping software and updating it, is the expensive part...

CaliRider
Medium Poster

Postby CaliRider » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:26 am

maffhieu wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 am

I'm actually on my 6th Woo 1.0
The last one is going strong for 1+year now... I have to admit everytime one of my woo died i was bumped but they kept replacing them for free even after the one year warranty

The actual device cost around 10$, when you buy a Woo you are actually buying the app. Developping software and updating it, is the expensive part...
6!?!?! what da heck dude! ?
their units cost way more than $10 form this amazing dude at intel. Said their units are like $70 bucks because someone else makes them for them and they don't even own the jump math thingy. algorithmems or something .. well, they don't know how their shit works he said. hmmm, ok, so you all now i suck at math but 6 times 70 is 420. Thats a lot more than 200 you paid for it. yeah, as my dad would says, "hell of a business model you got there!!)
the new woozy 3 does watch stuff. why cant the 2 or the 1 do it? i bet it can but those dudes anoint making nay money do you gotta buy the 3 if you want to see the datas.
my app is free and i bt they're making more moneys than woozies. hahahaha.

Largorn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Brunotti and Slingshot

Postby Largorn » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:48 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 pm
Largorn wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:27 pm
ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Duh - of course you have to buy one for it to become faulty !
Thats not a 'free' replacement !
You didn't get it for free - you got a replacement for a funked up Woo thats bound by law to be replaced !

I do like your single story experience - try telling that to the people whos woo died...
Same old split case leaked corroded wouldn't turn on wouldn't charge or unable to connect boring Yarn..

Rock on - my Waterproof 3 year reliable $8 supermarket watch - Fark yeah ;)
Of course it is a free replacement. Nobody said "free WOO", just the replacement was free. I didn't hear of a single case yet where people had a broken WOO and they didn't get a new one. The worst deal I heard of was that someone was given the choice to either get a new 1.0 for his broken 1.0 or pay 50€ to get a new 2.0 instead. This was when the 2.0 just came out.

You complain that I only have a single story, but the same goes for you. Or do you have access to a market analysis study on broken WOOs?

People should keep in mind that Woosports is a small start-up, not a big electronics company like Apple, Samsung, GoPro or the likes. Of course it would have been nice if their very first product was perfectly engineered and completely fault-free, but it really is no surprise that it isn't. It's annoying when the WOO breaks in the middle of a holiday, but as far as I know they replaced every single broken WOO so far without discussion or even asking for the invoice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”