Forum for kitesurfers
espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet
Brand Affiliation: None

Conditioning when practicing both kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby espana2323 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 am

Hi,

To the people that practice both kitesurfing and windsurfing, I am curious to know whether performing one of the two sports helps in the conditioning of the other sport as well? For example lets say that for a period of two months you don't get to windsurf, and instead you are able to have a few kitesurfing sessions. Will the next time you windsurf be in better condition compared to not having kitesurfed at all during those two months (I would expect that it would to some extend, but does it make a significant difference?). It's a well know fact that the best way to be in your best form when performing these sports is to do/practice the actual sport (rather than going to the gym, running, cycling, etc.), but I wanted to know if doing the one can also help you be in a better condition when you later do the other.

Thanks.

-Mike

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Re: Conditioning when practicing both kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby norcom » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:59 pm

One does not help the other, much. They're completely different and the only thing that's the same is the wind. Perhaps the one thing you'll get better at is feeling the wind but the skill set of one does not improve due to the other.

Windsurfing is MUCH harder and takes a lot more toll on your body than kitesurfing. I'm talking good days, with big waves. Not a tanker and a huge sail in a light breeze. I was in much better shape when I windsurfed weekly instead of kiting. Kiting made me lazy but I'm also out there a few times a week now instead of waiting for that unicorn 20+ Florida day. I still rig up once in a while when I get nostalgic but the hassle of hauling all the windsurf gear to the beach just turns me off it.

I'm waiting on my Wind-SUP to arrive. Once I get it and try it on a light day with a sail, surf-foil and small waves, perhaps I'll find something I've been missing. But for now kiting is way easier and much more efficient. Though windsurfing has it's charms and I'm very glad I took the time to learn it over the years and experienced that magical feeling.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Whenever I switch, I feel new sore muscles.

But I do have a bigger smile on my face because it keeps each sport fresh and fun.

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Overall, practiced at the same level, windsurfing is physically much more demanding.

But every time I switch one way or the other I need to adopt and certain muscles have more use than others. When kiting I am more demanding on my tommy muscles and certain muscles on my lower arms. Also the inside upper leg muscles are more strained kiting because I do sail more in switch stance.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Go for the one you can do at the time. Sure windsurfing is harder and works different muscles. But staying on top of the psychological aspect is key to any conditioning. Conditioning that you quit for an extended period of time is pretty worthless if it leads to you losing interest and motivation in the long run.

So do both and stay active. And the closer to your target sport you can be, the better off you will be. The gym is not the water/snow/wind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:51 pm

So true, a good workout, especially windsurf as so much harder.

If you ride waveboards, you can really benefit from one to the other, as making bottom turns and cutbacks, and the general feel for handling the edges on the water and in the waves, and the way you drive both with your front foot in turns, is the same IMO.

Last but not least, jibing fast and often, this is the same for both sports, and footswitch is the same technique too.

So eventhough different, I think you get a lot better (and more stamina), doing the "other" for a while, instead of nothing :D

8) Peter

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 am

I practise both sports regularly and my conclusions are:

-Windsurf boosts a lot your board positioning and then you are able to transfer your kite power to the board more efficiently = you kite better in light winds.

-On the other hand kiting improves the amount of sail power you han hold down, which makes windsurfing overpowered a lot easier = better wind range.

espana2323
Rare Poster
Gear: No gear yet

Postby espana2323 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:31 pm

I find windsurfing more exhausting in overpowered and underpowered conditions but about the same if you are rigged right and nicely powered. Having great cardio, is key for either sport. Both sports can really drain your energy quick when in a sticky situation.

Return to “Kitesurfing”