Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Re: Video of Ram Air Inversion Disaster

Postby kiterocky » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm

clip_image012_0006.jpg
clip_image012_0006.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 3175 times

I mean this ...its possible or not with ram air??

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, first of all no you can't use a foil like that. But second of all, if it is windy enough to sail home like that on an inflatable the foil kite will still be in the air. You can fly a foil in 3 knots of wind and just body drag back to shore, or maybe just ride if you are on your hydrofoil, something that you would have to rescue and sail home on an inflatable.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 pm

kiterocky wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm
clip_image012_0006.jpg

Sure it is possible. Why not?

Rewind lines to bar like lei. Grab fabric, pull via bridle the other side tip to you. Or put kite as taco and roll it while swimming. Just don't pull the kite via lines, swim towards it.

Kite is water and airtight. It is less density than water so it will even float empty. That's why drift launch is possible.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm

joriws if you can do it more power to you. I think it's just too hard to keep water from getting into your air intake holes. Show me a viddy of you doing it I will definitely be impressed.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:13 pm

joriws wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 pm
kiterocky wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:11 pm
clip_image012_0006.jpg

Sure it is possible. Why not?
Rewind lines to bar like lei. Grab fabric, pull via bridle the other side tip to you. Or put kite as taco and roll it while swimming. Just don't pull the kite via lines, swim towards it.
Kite is water and airtight. It is less density than water so it will even float empty. That's why drift launch is possible.
LIES, damn lies, by ram lovers. This is what REALLY happens when you try to "self-rescue" with a ram air:
diraklib wrote:"the SA-19 is huge and can whack you silly if you let it get down wind of you in a low wind launch. It is downright scary - be ready with the QR at all times if not up and riding!!! I can't say I agree with claims that you can ride the SA-19 in anything lower than a steady 8 knots. I made a personal choice to not ride the SA-19 any more. It went down twice in lulls and managed to bow-tie on the way down - there was no way to relaunch. I was not as lucky as others that self rescued. My kite was full of water by the time I dragged my very tired and frustrated a$$ to shore. It sounds simple, "wrap the lines around the bar, fold the kite in half, roll it up on your board and paddle in"... noooo... there are lines everywhere under water that wrap around your feet as you are trying to manipulate the kite. You just pray that a gust won't pop the kite up and slice of an appendage. The kite ... is just too scary when it goes down. My attitude now is - if my LEI won't fly, I shouldn't be on the water. Anyone interested in a slightly used SA2-19m??? Cheap???"
For the full epiphany, checkout http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9&start=40

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:25 am

Ram airs have no business being on the water

Only makes some sense on snow....sand...grass...with steady light,medium winds

Foilboards are so efficient with LW tube in 5-6 knots that Rams aren't necessary

Of course there are always ( as PMU likes to put it) BS claims that some ride the water in 3-4 or 4-5 knots of wind using magical soft pillows

It's propaganda that you need a Ram for foilboarding

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:56 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:25 am

Only makes some sense on snow....sand...grass...with steady light,medium winds

Foilboards are so efficient with LW tube in 5-6 knots that Rams aren't necessary

Of course there are always ( as PMU likes to put it) BS claims that some ride the water in 3-4 or 4-5 knots of wind using magical soft pillows

It's propaganda that you need a Ram for foilboarding
[flash=]+1
Agree.
[/flash]

Although the bare minimum for riding is 7-8 knots (not 5-6), even with a foilboard.
Also, I agree that ram airs "make some sense on snow, sand, and grass, with steady winds." BUT how often to you get steady winds in the mountains??? Not enough to justify the use of a ram!

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:22 am

PullStrings wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:25 am
LEI's sit too far back in the wind window to be effective hydrofoiling, so if you want to go fast, far, on light wind days, foil kites win.

No LEI's flying in that video and water surface showed minimal wind.

I do agree with the many of the stupid claims on light wind. For my weight, 8kts is about the minimum on an 18M foil. I could move up to a 21M to get an extra knot but I don't think its worth it.

200 Miles plus this February which is remarkable for Winter in Socal and many sessions were just foils boards and kites on the water. Like foil boards, foil kites continue to increase in numbers - Ozone R1v2's, Flysurfer Sonics and Speeds, Elf's, and F-Ones.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:08 am

foilonfoil wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:22 am
I do agree with the many of the stupid claims on light wind. For my weight, 8kts is about the minimum on an 18M foil. I could move up to a 21M to get an extra knot but I don't think its worth it.
:thumb: Looks like we're on the same page re. the 7-8 knot low end limit. Although there are some situations where it's good to have the extra power delivered by a 21m kite vs. 18m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”