Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A kite without an experience

Forum for kitesurfers
LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A kite without an experience

Postby LiquidXtasy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:16 pm
The instructor makes sure that the student:
1. is familiar with the QR and Leash safety system and has practiced it.
2. is aware of what will happen to the kite when the the primary and secondary release is activated.
3. is not flying too large of a kite (wind speed) for the students first time flying a kite
4. is aware of their surroundings and the instructor is the eyes of the student for the training ground area while the student is only able to focus on the kite
5. gets instruction on how to counter the normal intuition to pull the bar in and NOT PULL THE BAR IN when the kite suddenly yanks the student in a gust

So going from a 4m to a 10.5m is different??? The overwhelming advice here is to seek instruction. Then to use a small trainer to understand how a kite works. Then try to find a kiter in the area. If none of those things are possible for the OP, then the OP is taking their life into their own hands. A simple Youtube search will tell you what can happen in the case of mixing inexperience with a depower kite.

My advice is for the OP to get a trainer and NOT FLY the 10.5 until the OP receives proper instruction or at least some help from a local kiter. That is the only safe advice. Others have taken the dangerous route of just going for it on their own. Most have succeeded, some have wound up in the hospital or dead. The OP can decide to use your advice and wind up at one of these outcomes regardless.
Have you not read anything the OP has said on here?

He lives in a poor country with no kiters around for miles.

Sure, it sounds very convienent to hire a private kite instructor for the day. But not everyone is as fortunate as you are to have the luxury of a kite instructor your first hours on the water.

I am telling the OP everything he needs to know to teach himself in the safest way possible. And that involves getting some sheeting skills and releasing of the kite skills before he even attempts to fly his 10M. And I am telling him to do it with the smallest kite possible, a 4 meter on a lightwind day. Which they even sell 2.5 Meter inflatable trainer kites.

I am also telling him to do it on a lightwind day. What part of that do you not understand? The risk on a lightwind day with that size kite is minimal.

Much much better than your way of learning on a trainer kite that doesn't teach you anything about sheeting, doesn't teach you anything about water relaunch, doesn't teach you anything about FLAGGING THE KITE OUT. And you want him to go straight from that to a full 10 meter kite?

You are way off with your thinking, and I hope nobody who wants to self teach themselves about kiting follows your harmful advice.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby hongchew » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:50 am

Trainer kites are totally useless for learning to kite, because they share little with a real kite. It's like using a skate to learn how to drive a car. It's a big scam.

Get a smaller real kite and learn in light winds.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 am

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 am

Sure, it sounds very convienent to hire a private kite instructor for the day. But not everyone is as fortunate as you are to have the luxury of a kite instructor your first hours on the water.
Matteo V wrote:
The overwhelming advice here is to seek instruction. Then to use a small trainer to understand how a kite works. Then try to find a kiter in the area. If none of those things are possible for the OP, then the OP is taking their life into their own hands. A simple Youtube search will tell you what can happen in the case of mixing inexperience with a depower kite.
I am, and always have been, pretty clear on the situation. I am not sure where you have missed that.

LiquidXtasy wrote:
I am also telling him to do it on a lightwind day. What part of that do you not understand? The risk on a lightwind day with that size kite is minimal.
The part I do not understand is how the OP is going to know about wind shadows, rotor, and the wind-window in general. How about trim settings? And how about what constitutes light wind - I asked you before if you think the OP should buy a wind meter. So do you care to answer that?

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Much much better than your way of learning on a trainer kite that doesn't teach you anything about sheeting, doesn't teach you anything about water relaunch, doesn't teach you anything about FLAGGING THE KITE OUT.
I have already explained that the wind-window is much more important than sheeting. And the trainer safely tackles that without the severe consequences that a 4m depower would have. The trainer also teaches the first part of flagging the kite out - actually letting go of the bar. Read my past posts a little more carefully with regards to this and post the quote related to this that you do not understand.

LiquidXtasy wrote:
And you want him to go straight from that to a full 10 meter kite?
So try not to avoid this question this time. 'How different is it to go from a 2.5m trainer to a 10.5m depower kite, vs going from a 4m depower to a 10.5m depower kite?' The power increase is pretty much orders of magnitude larger in both cases. It just costs the OP who is as you said "He lives in a poor country" way more and puts the OP in much more danger immediately upon his first attempt at practice flying. - I need to go back and count the times I have stated that to you....But if you are still unclear as to that fact, let me know and I will try again. And thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster

Postby LiquidXtasy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:49 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 am
LiquidXtasy wrote:

Matteo V wrote:
The overwhelming advice here is to seek instruction. Then to use a small trainer to understand how a kite works. Then try to find a kiter in the area. If none of those things are possible for the OP, then the OP is taking their life into their own hands. A simple Youtube search will tell you what can happen in the case of mixing inexperience with a depower kite.

I am, and always have been, pretty clear on the situation. I am not sure where you have missed that.
It's pretty clear the OP said in the 1st post, the beggining of this entire thread that he wants to learn on his own.

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 am
The part I do not understand is how the OP is going to know about wind shadows, rotor, and the wind-window in general. How about trim settings? And how about what constitutes light wind - I asked you before if you think the OP should buy a wind meter. So do you care to answer that?
As mentioned before he is learning by himself, that's why he's going to watch youtube videos. Why don't you ask him instead of me?
Matteo V wrote:
ch more important than sheeting. And the trainer safely tackles that without the severe consequences that a 4m depower would have. The trainer also teaches the first part of flagging the kite out -
Yeah but it sure doesn't teach the last part about flagging the kite out does it? Try telling that to someone going through a death loop with no kite release experience, I'm sure they would understand right?

Matteo V wrote:
So try not to avoid this question this time. 'How different is it to go from a 2.5m trainer to a 10.5m depower kite, vs going from a 4m depower to a 10.5m depower kite?' The power increase is pretty much orders of magnitude larger in both cases. It just costs the OP who is as you said "He lives in a poor country" way more and puts the OP in much more danger immediately upon his first attempt at practice flying. - I need to go back and count the times I have stated that to you....But if you are still unclear as to that fact, let me know and I will try again. And thanks for your contribution to the discussion.
No, the danger is minimal if he is flying in light wind, but I guess you have to make it seem like the OP is going to go out in strong wind to make your point seem more legit.

With my way he will learn more before he goes off on a 10M kite as I have already stated multiple times on this thread.

I am done talking to you, if you can't understand by now how much better it is to be self taught on a small kite then I have nothing left to say to you. I know you will probably keep seeing things your own way, which is fine. But I just hope that your "advice" never causes someone who wants to be self taught any bodily harm.

I know a few people in my area who are self taught, and they are some of the best local kiters around. And I encourage anyone wanting to learn kiting to go out there and learn it. Weather it be from an instructor, or self taught. As long as you keep it safe then I will do anything I can to help you learn. And anyone reading this feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about how to kiteboard.

Peace!

keyhaha
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: White chocolate hills zamboanguita
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best kahoona v7
Liquid force response control bar 2015
Manera harness

Postby keyhaha » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am

Guys. Thank you for your support and concern. I get what all of you are trying to say. So chill out. Your concerns for a new kiter is quite overwhelming for me. This is my first time in a forum and it really is heart warming for strangers to help me out.

Btw. I have an anemometer and I also know about the wind window. I know alot about kiting and that's my problem. I know alot about it but I don't actually know how to do it.

I'll follow the advice of the one kiter who's more thorough and sounds perfect in my situation. Which of course I won't mention to ease all your balls. :D :D

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks for the original question! And don't worry about the heated arguments here. Discussion is helpful for all who take the time to read and/or post as we expose evidence, experience, and reality on both sides.

And as far as doing this all for you - well most of us have understanding that our advice will be viewed by many others in your (OP's) situation. So it is important for us to give general safety information, as well as info for your specific case. No matter how stubborn or correct contributors want to be, we want you to be safe and have a good experience.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster

Postby LiquidXtasy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Keyhaha, good luck. We hope to hear updates on your progression. And don't be afraid to come on here and ask questions, we are here to help.

Matteo, no hard feelings. I understand you want what's best for the OP. I just think it's best to think outside the box and to have an open mind. We had a good dispute. :jap:

keyhaha
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: White chocolate hills zamboanguita
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best kahoona v7
Liquid force response control bar 2015
Manera harness

Postby keyhaha » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:27 am

LiquidXtasy wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:36 pm
Keyhaha, good luck. We hope to hear updates on your progression. And don't be afraid to come on here and ask questions, we are here to help.

Matteo, no hard feelings. I understand you want what's best for the OP. I just think it's best to think outside the box and to have an open mind. We had a good dispute. :jap:
I'll definitely update you guys in my progress cause d*mn you guys are so into it with all those debate. I kinda feel unlucky to born in a place where I can't have a kiteschool or kiters near me. Thanks guys. You guys are awesome. Fly high be safe.

unclebill
Medium Poster
Gear: mixed

Postby unclebill » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 pm

And soon enough you will be VERY HAPPY to be in a place where you don't have a kiteschool or kiters near you!

Return to “Kitesurfing”