Rope spreader bar for Ion B2 seat harness

Forum for kitesurfers
michaelb1
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Outer Banks, NC
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.
Brand Affiliation: None

Rope spreader bar for Ion B2 seat harness

Postby michaelb1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Greetings all,
I’m trying to find a rope or sliding metal spreader bar for my favorite harness, the Ion B2. It will help me in the waves.
I see Ion has the new “c-bar” harnesses. They have a rope version and a sliding metal bar version.
Do you know if these will fit my older (2017) B2 harness? If not do you know a different sliding spreader bar that will work?
Thanks.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Re: Rope spreader bar for Ion B2 seat harness

Postby jonysan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:03 am

Hi Michael,
I have the ION CS Wave harness which has the rope slider and a more "standard" style of locking hook , compared to the CS Hadlow, and CS Freeride harnesses .

I had a look at some photos of the ION B2 Harness, and I think the new ION rope slider and locking hook would fit. both the B2 and the CS wave have the same upper and lower strap system.

I think it would.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:10 am

It isn’t obvious from the pictures but the ion cs has a wide and thin strap but was designed to take two thin straps like the b2 harness.

It looks to me like the b2 harness bar was designed so that it could be used on the ion cs harness since it has provisions for a wide strap.

I’m pretty sure they would be interchangeable and were designed that way.

michaelb1
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, Cabrinha Moto, Cabrinha Contra. North Wam directional. Spleen Session TT. Shinn Bronq TT.

Postby michaelb1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:00 am

Ok, thank you for the info. I’m looking at the CS wave harness. How does one release the spreader bar to take the harness off? On my B2 the clasp is on the bar. I’m trying to make sure if I get the c bar for the Ion that I can actually clip it on and off.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 am

Hi,
The CS wave sliding spreader bar has a vertical steel pin at the "receiver" end, the clasp/hook is has two parallel metal hooks which hook over this vertical metal pin, the clasp/hook then sits snug to the spreader bar.

You will need to buy the two components , The slider spreader bar and the metal/plastic clasp/hook.

jonysan
Frequent Poster

Postby jonysan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 am

Csw.PNG
Csw.PNG (386.98 KiB) Viewed 13633 times

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:36 pm

20180325_103057.jpg
20180325_103107.jpg
20180325_103107.jpg
Just for grins I put the spreader on a Dakine seat harness.
Attachments
20180325_103123.jpg

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:37 pm

20180325_103123.jpg

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:17 pm

converting the Ion B2 spreader bar from a standard hook to a rope spreader type is easier than you think, I did not know this and bought the Ion waist harness rope spreader bar, and wish I had not wasted my £50 as the stiff backing material gave me a right pain in the torso as it dug in hard, the council refuse men removed it to land fill( but I kept the stainless spreader bar as this can be re used)
The B2 standard bar with standard hook just needs the hook cutting off and making smooth where the 2 stainless rods are welded in place,
after this has been done remove the bar from its soft backing (2 large cross point screws at the rear) and then turn the bar 180 deg, (upside down) and re fix to its backing, the 2 stainless rings will now be on the top side of the bar,
now all you need is 6 or 8mm dyneema line, double the line over and pass the closed loop end through the ring mentioned nearest the "clip in" end and then loop this over the bar at the clip end, then pass the two free ends through the opposite ring, pass one end under the bar and the other end over the top to meet the same, then using a reef knot tie them together, once you are happy with the length of rope slack(around 4-6 inches out from the bar)
then cut the free ends around 1cm from the reef knot,then melt the ends to ensure no fraying or slippage can happen. bingo!
I have never thrown away my old harnesses all Ion B2, all the bars (which have never changed) have been cut a converted, 5 of them!
why would anyone use a standard Hook? beats me, the rope style is more comfortable, safer(double 6mm dyneema has never worn a bit in 12 months),no chance of a phantom release when your chicken stick slips out,no chance of damaging your board, or scratching your car as you brush past its corner.

michaelb1
Rare Poster

Postby michaelb1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:13 pm

I ended up ordering an Ion no hook spreader bar. I guess i’ll See how that works out.

https://www.surf-store.com/ion-no-hook- ... rbar-2018/

Return to “Kitesurfing”