Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Apple Watch Series 2...

Postby VB705 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:48 pm

I use the Catalyst waterproof case for extra protection. It has the band attached.

So far so good 👍🏻 Time will tell if it holds up kiting.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:39 pm

That watch case looks great. does heart rate still work with it??

VB705
Rare Poster
Local Beach: VA/NC
Gear: Best, Slingshot, BRM

Postby VB705 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Heart rate works great. It has a silicone membrane overtop the sensor that allows it to still work.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:22 am

Mate used both AW/sessions app and a Woo 1.0 in a session. 2.6m difference between the 2, Woo seeming more accurate.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 am

Thanks a lot for sharing! More details on the comparison pls. Did the AW measure lower or higher? If higher, how tall are you and was the bar all the way out (watch on wrist / woo on board). _Might_ account for most of the 2.6 meters.

Also, a Xensor comparison would be more accurate since that algo is the same as that unit.

CaliRider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!

Postby CaliRider » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:58 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:22 am
Mate used both AW/sessions app and a Woo 1.0 in a session. 2.6m difference between the 2, Woo seeming more accurate.
Accurate compared to what?

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
IJmuiden
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Wasn't me but a friend. He's had a Woo for over 1.5 years now and reliably hits 10m+. I've seen those jumps repeatedly and the Woo is pretty accurate for that. His impression was that his Woo score that day (8.2) felt more accurate than the AW/Sessions score (5.6). He's an expert at Woosting ;) so that may account for part of the difference but not all.

Sorry no more details but hopefully more comparisons will come up. Ideally someone will be able to match Woo & AW/Sessions jump-for-jump and include an external reference.

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
IJmuiden
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Somewhere on the German Oase forum, a user posted similar differences between the results with Woo and AW3/Sessions: http://forum.oase.com/showthread.php?p=1322953

This is a quick Google Translate of the experience
At the beginning of December, I tested the Apple Watch Series 3 combination with the fairly new Xensr app "Sessions". Here are my experiences.

The Apple Watch locks itself with the start of the session app. At the beginning you choose between the 3 sports kiting, surfing or windsurfing. If you select kiting, the jump height is displayed, if you choose surfing, the route length of the last ridden wave is displayed.
After each jump registered by the AW, the jump height of the last jump is shown in the display. This is very easy to read and can be read several times until a next jump takes place.
I used an AW with the new Sports Loop bracelet. The bracelet has held, but I was a little afraid that the velcro opens yet. Because the bracelet is not entirely provided with Velcro, but only in a few narrow places. But it has kept everything, whereby I have avoided hard impacts - also due to the warranty situation in case of water damage on the part of Apple. I read several times that Apple should act as very restrictive and hardly regulates water damage in the interests of the consumer. This is especially true for saltwater damage. I guess the service team should not be so hard to read about the integrated sensors as the clock was last used.
But even if the bracelet should open, it has a slight plastic thickening at the end, so that the bracelet should not slip so easily through the end eyelet. I had the 42mm version of the AW at the start and the bracelet did not slip very easily over my rather petite hand. So the danger of loss should be limited.
Unlike the concurrent Woo, the clock did not show all the jumps. Only from about 1.6m height, the jump was registered with me.
Unfortunately - and for that reason I have separated from the AW again - has the smartwatch continuously displayed 2-3m less jump height than my Woo. Even if the value of the AW should be more realistic, this of course is not possible for psychological reasons. In the tested scenario the AW showed 4.6m and the Woo almost 8m as the highest jump.
However, I had the feeling that the ratio of the jump height was already high. Meaning, if the jump was felt to be higher, the AW has also shown more.
What bothered me was that the AW had to be worn on the skin for better calorie consumption (via the pulse). The Sessions app then calculates calorie consumption and shares it with the Apple Health App. In order to do that, I have to push up the sleeve of the Neos a bit, so that I could read the display and the pulse could be measured. The wearing of gloves was therefore also excluded. At the beginning of December it was a real challenge for the hands because of the outside temperature.
In the evaluation, the sessions app shows the route on a satellite map and even at which point which jump takes place. In addition, there is also speed information. The app is simple but meaningful. There is also the possibility to share his values ​​in a community. This does not "reach" the community possibilities of the Woo.
The AW could be interesting as a safety device, as the LTE version offers the option of kiting an emergency call incl. GPS data. But you have to currently pregnant with Telekom as a provider pregnant, because only this offers the opportunity to use the integrated in the AW eSIM also. However, I am not sure how the process should be on the water, because actually the clock is still in water sports mode and locked.
My conclusion: I do not need the Apple Watch yet. I can imagine that this will change with future versions and improvements of both the clock and the sessions app.
For people who have not yet received feedback on their jump height by the known sensors (Woo, Piq, Xensr) the frustration may be lower. After all, the AW manages to represent the relative height of the jumps to each other.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks BudhaNI - very informative and helpful.

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m

Postby ldmelo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:29 pm

joriws wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 am
Yes, the Jesse-video is what we Android Wear-users have had for a long time. And indeed it is displaying IMU-device reading over bluetooth realtime. I use it too with very cheap Sony Smartwatch-clock like Jesse does.

About Android-wear version of clock-only height metering like this topic is right now talking, I got an answer from Xensr at Facebook.

"Will Android wear devices with gps/imu get the same app?"
Xensr: "Yes. Updates coming."
Did they mention to which smartwatch? I will probably buy a smartwatch in the next months and that would make a big difference ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”