chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Re: The end of kiteboarding in Florida?

Postby chemosavi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:46 am

" just leave that country and go where you can access any beach freely and kite where you want. I suggest Brazil. Much better life. You only have one."
Fantastic advice. .
If all you do is zip around on the water with a kite over your head. Or have to do.
Brazil is one of the most corrupt countries on the planet and if you want to do something like start a business it stinks.
Gotta consider some other things in the equation of "the best place to live". My vote might be for New Zealand or Australia where it is more balanced and you don't have to bribe someone to do anything.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:59 am

I know it is a great advice.
Just saying, most of us have the possibilities to leave.
Many nice places around the world. Just have to leave. And that's the biggy for 99 %.
But always remember: we only got one life. Make the best out of it.

Brazil is an option like many others. I know many people who went to Brazil. Some are very happy, some not. All depends.

I for one know I did the right thing by leaving Germany as many times as possible...

RustyChain
Medium Poster
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RustyChain » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:21 am

I frequent another forum centered around an entirely different endeavor, whenever restrictions get passed, the mantra of "move to a free state" shows up.

The similarity is striking, and equally not helpful.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Postby chemosavi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:49 am

It’s definitely a complicated issue, leaving your country of birth for somewhere else that seems better.
Race, religion, politics, and personal wealth all play a part in how big a welcome you will receive.
What a crazy idea it is to stay where you were born and try to change your country more to your liking instead of tossing in the towel.
Seems to be on a lot of people’s mind these days. To put it mildly....

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 am

Rick Scott is a jack ass. That aside there is a federal law which states the property line ends at the high tide mark on the property. Therefore you could legally go and launch and walk on ANYONE's property at low tide and there isn't jack shit they can do.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Chemosavi, You have lots of experience launching from a boat if I recall? Maybe it would provide some hope for the Florida man kiteboarder.

I'm from Florida, and I think the privatization of the beach and loss of access is a real loss not just for kiters. Quality of life for locals is put off in favor of tourists. Also property close to the beach but not on the beach loses very significant value. Can the increase in waterfront property values and property tax offset the loss in value of all of the homes impacted? AirB&B one row back from the beach might be worthless.

BOO.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Use and promote common sense and courtesy and many access threats will vanish. If not ...

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:10 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm
I'm from Florida, and I think the privatization of the beach and loss of access is a real loss not just for kiters. Quality of life for locals is put off in favor of tourists. Also property close to the beach but not on the beach loses very significant value. Can the increase in waterfront property values and property tax offset the loss in value of all of the homes impacted? AirB&B one row back from the beach might be worthless.
This is something I was thinking about as well. I used to live on a block perpendicular to the road along the beach (A1A) and could kite every day just by walking to the end of the street. After this law is passed, technically all of that beach would be private property owned by the condos on the other side of the road... so basically all house values aside from beachfront property are going to take a nosedive since no one will have access to the beach unless some local agreements are made? Cities are even prevented from passing local ordinances to keep access open with this law, too...

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:08 pm
my 2 cents: just leave that country and go where you can access any beach freely and kite where you want. I suggest Brazil. Much better life. You only have one.
Unlike most countries in the world the USA is truly a collection of states. When looking at laws in the USA it is very important to look at them state by state.

In Hawaii & Oregon: No beach can be owned privately and public access is guaranteed to the vegetation line
In Washington State: Beaches are privately owned down to the low water mark

So you don't have to leave the USA to find better beach access, just that particular state.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 pm