Any paragliding pilots around here?

Forum for kitesurfers
GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Any paragliding pilots around here?

Postby GTC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi all,

I've been kitesurfing for 12 years but since I moved to a less windy area I can't kite as much as I'd like...

Powered paragliding sounds like a good alternative for me. I could fly when there's no wind, equipment is not as expensive as I'd thought and fits easily in any trunk, 2-3 hours flight autonomy, no crowded spots...

Any PG pilot could tell if it is as good as it sounds? I know that lessons are mandatory, but I suppose my kiting experience will help somehow...

Thanks in advance!

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any paragliding pilots around here?

Postby Beardytello » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm not but I've been watching this guy's vids on youtube, it looks awesome! Depending where you live.

https://www.youtube.com/user/J3Cub2009

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Yeah! I've watched most of his YT channel videos.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:23 pm

I've been thinking along the same lines. Not sure I'd enjoy PPG as much as free gliding, but PPG gives you a lot more flexibility in choosing a location.

The guy who knows paragliding on this forum is Bille. I'm sure there are others. But, based on his previous posts, he's a dedicated pilot and is knowledgeable.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:24 pm

GTC wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:00 pm
Yeah! I've watched most of his YT channel videos.
The ones where he's just cruising over the fields where he lives at sunset etc. are so cool.

I don't really live anywhere I can do it, small island, mostly controlled airspace but maybe one day!

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

As a former paragliding pilot. If I could do it all over I would probably pick PPG for many reasons. Number 1 is flight time. go whenever you want as long as its early morning or nearing glass off evening time as you progress I'm sure running midday and thermaling would also be an option.

As far a kiting goes I got sucked into the what to do with no wind. although similar they do not transfer much in skills other then understanding wind and weather which becomes mandatory that you are a certified METEROLOGIST :D . Paragliding inputs are the opposite of kiting both with forward launching and reverse launching. Unless you've dabbled with forward gliding off a hill with a kite then it might be a tad familiar.

Both sports especially in the beginning will be very demanding of your time. add in flight lessons that maybe out of reach in your area be prepared to travel and dont rush the lessons. you will need to practice your "kiting skills" or ground handling skills in light winds alot when learning. I'd be tempted to foil during that time.

know there is risk and most accidents are pilot error. I made the mistake of trying to thermal too close to a mountain and tried an almost deadly side hill landing and broke my leg all of which was certainly pilot error. although it didn't stop me from loving the sport and continued flying after my accident I ultimately decided on what my priorities were and kiting won.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Bille is on here, big time paraglider.

Hope he reads this 😉

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Yep,

I would never go back to PG just because water saved me more times than I can remember. Did survived 2 bad pg incidents, one resulting in learning to walk again.

Being a PG pilot in the EU. Not for me any more. To many good people lost, ppg and pg, one of the best did not see an unmarked power lines. Enough said.

All of my pg friends I know moved to gliders, its cheap and way, way more safe.

Up to you.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:24 pm
Bille is on here, big time paraglider.
I'm sure Bille will tell you when he reads this, but PG and PPG and HG are all like 10x more dangerous than kiting.

Bille also lost both his legs in a HG accident, but that doesn't stop him from kiting and HG. I'm not sure he does much PG.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:36 pm

downunder wrote: Being a PG pilot in the EU. Not for me any more. To many good people lost, ppg and pg, one of the best did not see an unmarked power lines. Enough said.
Saw the same thing here too! The guy next to you in training with the wife and small children might not have a dad from one mistake!

It certainly is breathe taking and many pass on to the higher levels in the sport and have successful careers of 20 + plus years of awesomeness. Just don't fall for the its as safe as horse back riding, shit kiting is safer then horses anyday. The risks are real and the stakes are high! The old timers are usually always HG pilots there is a reason for that. Even they have experienced the issues that come with PG's and will only use them for ideal conditions or something for excersing as you can't climb a mountain with a HG on your back.

I watch the tucker gott YT channel and remember when I was his age with kinda the same dream and just today he's suiting up for base jumping. I hope he stays with us for awhile. there are a few lucky ones that do make it look easy just like with kiting.

I was warned by many and until its your turn for injury you might not get it. I got lucky, but never a day goes by that i don't wish i could fly again!

Return to “Kitesurfing”