Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Ocean Rodeo: The Next Generation is now

Postby juandesooka » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:36 pm

ORSales wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:40 pm
We continue to aggressively expand our internal design team. The heart of our team will always be Richard and Ross who collaborate on all of the products we sell but under them we now have a large team of designers working full time to not only deliver the next next gen but to also work towards the pie-in-the-sky ideas that we love to chase.
Mad scientists!
pie_in_sky.jpg
pie_in_sky.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 3663 times

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:50 am

Really want to try Razor, Roam and heck all of them, but there are no dealers here and I'm not buying kites untried any more :(

Kitehume
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Lake Hume, Australia.
Favorite Beaches: Corona Beach
Isolation Bay
Gear: Oceanrodeo Rise Aluula 12m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 10m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 7m
Oceanrodeo flite 10m
Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Shinn Sunburner 112cm
Armstrong Hs1050
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitehume » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am

Hi ORsales.
What’s the shortest lines you would recommend for the flite 10m?
Thanks.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:50 am
Really want to try Razor, Roam and heck all of them, but there are no dealers here and I'm not buying kites untried any more :(
Hey there Kamikuza... We offer a 30 Day Guarantee on all our products sold. I try to avoid encouraging people to use it as a demo program per se but certainly, if you bought a quiver of kites from us and were not happy, we'd refund 100% of your money. You'd only be responsible for shipping them back to us in Blaine WA (USA) or here in Victoria if you're Canadian.

JZ

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Kitehume wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:54 am
Hi ORsales.
What’s the shortest lines you would recommend for the flite 10m?
Thanks.
The shortest we would normally recommend is 15m. You could try 12m but be aware that this may cause some inward pressure on the LE due to line angle and could lead to some funky behaviour so test fly in stable winds and a friendly landing location.

John

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Introducing the Next Generation Flite

https://vimeo.com/263014058

https://vimeo.com/263014058

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm

icurumba
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby icurumba » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I've tested all the OR kites on lines down to 10 m including the 17.5 Flite.

The issue with the kites sized 12 m and up,...when diving your kite down to power up the wingtip hits the water on bigger sizes.
For me the shortest I can go with lines matches the kite size,...ie 10m lines 10 m kite,.....14.5m kite,..15 m lines etc etc.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 pm

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Quick review on the 7/9.5m Roam/Stick Shift Bar:

Background info: 170 lbs, 5'3" Cabrinha Spade and OR Duke, mostly all directional riding in mixed conditions (I've had onshore, side-off, and sideshore)

So, I'm coming off a quiver of OR Razors which I've been on for the better part of 4 years. This switch to the Roams is because I'm basically riding a surfboard 90% of the time, and while the Razor is super-responsive (and fun to boost) I wanted to try a more surf-oriented kite to see if it will indeed drift well. I'm really happy with the decision, it has made a lot of things easier in general - like going down the face of a wave towards the kite, and I'm able to move upwind on a wave better. Here's a quick breakdown:

-Surf:
I've thought a lot of times that a surf-oriented kite wouldn't really make that big of a difference, I figured that if I had something that loops pretty quick and has solid/smooth pull, I'm good, right? I have to say, that having a surf-oriented kite really opens up the overall control and feel on the water with a surfboard. Case in point, I'm a big fan of downlooping in the flats, building speed towards a slash off an incoming wave. It's literally the best thing in kiteboarding IMO. With the Razor, it was always strong through the loop, but then as I slashed and proceeded down the wave towards the kite it would maybe not stall, but at least lose some power and I'd have to redirect back out. The Roam is the best of both worlds as it loops fairly quickly (faster than the Prodigy, a touch slower than the Razor) and I still hold the same power coming into the slash as with the Razor, the upside being that it sits/drifts beautifully as I proceed down the line or pump down the wave towards the kite. It's especially helped my backside riding.

-Build/Graphics:
Rock-solid, standardized on the single inflate/deflate, the material is an upgrade, no issues at all. The graphics - umm........I actually really like the Prodigy graphics with the dots and mix of colors. Although, I did get the purple on the 7m, and it's pretty solid.

-Power Range:
I've had the 7m out in 30 knots plus, no issues, very smooth power delivery, not as on/off as the Razor with gusts. The low end on the 7m seems to be upper teens/low 20's, obviously this is widely dependent on current, conditions, etc. Basically I'll say that if it's above 20 I'm fine on this, if it's 18+ I can comfortably do a downy. Low-end with the 9.5m is not as low as the 10m Razor (obviously it's a bit smaller) but I generally had no issue with a surfboard on the 10m in 15 knots. The Roam - it's a bit of a struggle at 15, but again, it's a bit smaller, and doesn't have the raw power that the Razor does.

-Freestyle:
I've actually tried both kites out with a twintip, and while it's not the Razor, they are pretty solid in the air boosting, etc. I'm not saying it's great, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

-Stick-Shift Bar:
I originally did not love the Stick-Shift as I thought it would be cumbersome under extreme conditions. I love it for one simple reason - as I mentioned above I generally downloop in the flats, slash and then ride waves down the line, slash some more, etc. With the Stick-Shift, I can quickly bleed off power with a quick bump before I initiate the downloop, then once I'm down with the wave, I can quickly power back up as I move out the back. I strongly suggest it for anyone riding waves.

Bag/Pump:
OR stepped their game up with both, top notch.

That's it, message me if you have any questions or if you are in South Carolina want a demo.

-AJ

Return to “Kitesurfing”