Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Cabrinha PU mainline depower tube

Postby bragnouff » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 pm

evan wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 am
All the bad experiences come from brands like Cabrinha,
(...)
^^^
I truly believe in gear that you can maintain with basic supplies from a local shipshandler, and where inevitable wear can be seen and assessed on a regular basis.
Too bad some companies went the opposite path.

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gator1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 am
gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am
dragnfly wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:56 am
I dismantled mine as part of the line replacement programme. I don't do any maintenance, or washing, and treat my kit quite badly.... (sorry!).
There was no sign of any sand in it and the new line threaded through really easily.
My two mainlines in the black PU tube looked really worn, so if its not sand, I'm guess just rubbing against each other in the tube. The lines are not thick or strong enough and just a timebomb waiting to happen.

Change every two seasons to be safe. Also Cab doesnt sell the mainlines by itself so have to buy the tube and top of spinner.
Broke mine in February and so did a few other people. Seems the 2016/17 main lines weren't spliced into themselves and the shop guy reckons they're rubbing on each other and shredding themselves. The 2018 bars have the main line with almost a half of their length spliced...

I was leaning towards preferring PU tubes as the uncovered Amstel on my other bars really chews into my fingers...then that happened :lol:
Seems like the weakest point in the chain. Cabrinha should have used thicker rope, or just one thick rope, its because so much of interior of the PU tube is designated for the knot in the safety line to pass through that they could only use skinny mainline rope. My 2016 bar failed after 2.5 seasons, the lines looked worn where the bar usually sits sheeted in.

I've got a cab bar thats 10 years old, so I never thought twice about servicing the mainline rope. Its under the PU tube so one cant tell the condition it is in.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 am

gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:45 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 am
gator1 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:15 am

My two mainlines in the black PU tube looked really worn, so if its not sand, I'm guess just rubbing against each other in the tube. The lines are not thick or strong enough and just a timebomb waiting to happen.

Change every two seasons to be safe. Also Cab doesnt sell the mainlines by itself so have to buy the tube and top of spinner.
Broke mine in February and so did a few other people. Seems the 2016/17 main lines weren't spliced into themselves and the shop guy reckons they're rubbing on each other and shredding themselves. The 2018 bars have the main line with almost a half of their length spliced...

I was leaning towards preferring PU tubes as the uncovered Amstel on my other bars really chews into my fingers...then that happened :lol:
Seems like the weakest point in the chain. Cabrinha should have used thicker rope, or just one thick rope, its because so much of interior of the PU tube is designated for the knot in the safety line to pass through that they could only use skinny mainline rope. My 2016 bar failed after 2.5 seasons, the lines looked worn where the bar usually sits sheeted in.

I've got a cab bar thats 10 years old, so I never thought twice about servicing the mainline rope. Its under the PU tube so one cant tell the condition it is in.
Can't use thicker rope... Has to be a "double" rope to loop around the BTB swivel. Pretty sure...

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 pm

All lines broke at the same time. Worn by sand.
2019-09-07 15.27.56 (Large).jpg

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 pm

daspi wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:54 pm
All lines broke at the same time. Worn by sand.
2019-09-07 15.27.56 (Large).jpg

I no longer like PU tubes. I can't see whats going on with the center line and they are to stiff in the cold months.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:27 am

I have Cab trimlite bars 2017 -2019, very happy with them however as a foiler I do not like PU covered Center line, it can be very difficult to sheet and turn at the same time cause the PU line binds in the bar center hole.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:46 am

This thread has morphed from the original Q. I would say very hard for sand to get in and pretty easy to check the condition of the lines inside but make sure you attach a temporary feeder line so that when you pull the existing line through one end to inspect, you can pull it back in again the other way with the temporary feeder line.

In my experience when the two internal lines wear it's at the connection points as someone already mentioned so you will know pretty quickly if there's an issue.

As for tube or not... I love the cleanliness of a single PU tube but you can lose some feel as the bar rubs against the tube. Apparently the Core ones use a Teflon coated tube. Personally I didn't notice much difference in stickiness compared to the Cabrinha.

I make my own bars and ropes. It's hard to pay $50 for a manufacturer's piece of power line rope when you learn how to splice and can DIY for $3. I also make my own PU tube covered bars. I use 3mm dyneema rope with a 5mm PU tube which still slides really easily but that's for foiling. I'm in the process of making a mega looping bar and I reckon I will use 5mm rope for that and no PU tube so that I can keep an eye on wear.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:33 pm

gator1 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:29 am
Has anyone taken apart the black PU tube for the depower line on a Cabrinha bar?

Just wondering how much sand gets in there and if anyone flushes it out.

My lines failed so I used silicone to seal the mainline tube.
Definitely not worth the effort if you can buy the complete replacement part for ~21$ (recoil) to ~32$ (trimlite with the cleat included).
Replacing takes 5 min for the trimlite.

Yes, I would agree it's not nice that you can't inspect what's happening inside the tube. But if your bar has already plenty of 'sand marks' all around, just change the main line and ride safe.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190911_151820.jpg
Screenshot_20190911_151849.jpg
Screenshot_20190911_151908.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”