Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kai on the proper hydrofoil kite. Exact opposite.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Kai on the proper hydrofoil kite. Exact opposite.

Postby edt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:23 pm

“At first everyone wanted fast turning kites in the surf, but when you’re strapless waveriding, you want slower kites with more constant power and it’s the same thing with hydrofoils. I don’t want something that reacts super quick. I want something forgiving that I can push to its limits.”

from thekiteboarder 2017/04 article called "infinite loop"

This is exactly opposite of received wisdom, where you want the fastest turning lightest kite possible. Kai says you want a slower kite with more constant power.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kai on the proper hydrofoil kite. Exact opposite.

Postby tomtom » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:39 pm

Its completely ON vs Side shore related. And I think he speak from Side shore perspective.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Each to there own. I want super fast and reactive. But i'm out there to fly kites and ride terrain. Not ride waves with minimal assistance from the kite.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:21 pm
Each to there own. I want super fast and reactive. But i'm out there to fly kites and ride terrain. Not ride waves with minimal assistance from the kite.
<Ding Ding!> Highlights why discussions of foil and wave riding preferences are almost impossible to have on a forum like this. Different goals mean almost entirely different gear preferences. For those who understand these tradeoffs, then you can have an intelligent, rational discussion of the pros and cons. But inevitably a bunch of people chime in "yeah but the ____ is the best kite because it drifts perfect for waves and you can boost to the moon and its super good upwind and you can race full speed downwind and it'll make you lunch and do your ironing!". Critical thinking is in sadly short supply. :roll: :evil: :cool2:

For me, I am willing to sacrifice a lot of performance for maximum drift and stability. I want to be able to drive down the line on a wave or directly downwind foiling and have the kite just sit there waiting for feedback. Once in a while, if I push too far, the lines go slack, and the kite starts to backstall.......if my kite can give me just that tiny little bit extra to save me a nightmare scenario, I will happily give up the boosting and fast turning. I think that's what he meant?

PS another related topic: surf foil enthusiasts are using bigger and slower foils to slow down and surf the wave, independent of the kite. But once on a bigger wave, these top out and can't go fast enough. Flash to Kai's instagram feed where he's riding experimental wave foils in what looks to be 25' surf, designed to go faster than a surfboard can and possibly redefine what is possible in big wave surfing. Again, opposite of conventional wisdom, but for a specific goal.
Last edited by juandesooka on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:26 pm

It really depends how you like to ride waves. Seems like (*DISCLAIMER* from the footage I've seen of him) Kai likes to ride more powered (from the kite) on a wave. Versus someone who really just wants a kite to pull them into the wave and then be able to turn off that power when they are riding it.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 am

i dunno, multi-discipline multi-world champion kai... he probably knows what he's talking about.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:26 am

dylan* wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 am
i dunno, multi-discipline multi-world champion kai... he probably knows what he's talking about.
No doubt Kai is the man, but it still comes down to personal preference. Some of us do like to depower the kite and just try to ride the wave.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:59 am

dylan* wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:38 am
Of course, he knows what he's talking about. But it will be relating to his style and what he wants to achieve. That doesnt make other ways wrong.

kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lanes and Hookipa, Maui, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo, Lakey Pipe, Cloud Break
Style: Waves
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO
Brand Affiliation: Armstrong Foils
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitehawaii » Tue May 15, 2018 10:56 am

Funny how I never see Kai kite foiling. I think he prefers prone or tow foiling. Therefore his opinion on kite foiling may be lacking the beating the rest of us mere mortals are taking.

Return to “Hydrofoil”