JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is Wakestyle dead?

Postby JustAGirl » Wed May 02, 2018 1:56 pm

Seriously, the only thing that makes wakestyle or any style unpleasant and annoying is claims to superiority; “this is the hardest” OR “that’s the hardest” 🙄🙄🙄 seriously, can you get anymore prepubescent annoying? And if you haven’t done something you really don’t know how hard it is... it may not be THAT hard!

Here is an impression of your senseless bickering:

https://www.facebook.com/OliverTreemusi ... 335529491/

Just chill and try to help others...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

I've tried everything in kiteboarding, foiling, kiteloops, handpasses, strapless surfboard, board offs, jesus walks. There's no question that wakestyle is one of the hardest disciplines in kiteboarding. I actually think that doing wake tricks behind a boat is harder than anything you do on a kite. Main reason is that there is so much risk of a concussions if you fail when you are going 25 mph behind a boat. On a kite even if you crash doing a wake trick it's rare to get a concussion. It's good that so much of kiteboarding is so easy! It makes the entire sport approachable and fun. What good would it do if kiteboarding was as difficult as playing the violin? I also think doing tricks on a windsurfer is probably more difficult than anything you do on a kite, the problem is that despite the technical difficulty of a windsurfing trick, you can't go huge like you do in kiting so for me there's very little appeal to windsurfing. Wakestyle is difficult and to be honest doesn't have as much appeal as doing a simple huge boost. It's nice though if you want to make progress and desire a challenge that it exists.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster

Postby JustAGirl » Thu May 03, 2018 9:35 pm

OK, let me put it this way: Cirque du Soleil damcers perform some insane tricks that expose them to extremely high risk of injury & even death; in fact, a fatality was in the news recently, in Florida, I think. Of course they deserve our respect for what they do & I love the circus AS circus. BUT, if a circus performer comes along and DEMANDS he is the best, the hottest, the hardest among all performers, including ballerinas (insanely difficult technique that takes a decade - minimum - to master), rock stars (extremely demanding psychologically & physically), Shakesperean actors (who train for decades before they are employable) they are going to sound cocky & ridiculous & no one will take them seriously anymore! Get it now? The more they demand recognition as the „hardest“ the less likable they are. Like all performance sports, this one requires a total work of performance, not just some circus tricks, largely in a controlled environment, difficult, risky & entertaining though they are!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:57 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:56 pm
Seriously, the only thing that makes wakestyle or any style unpleasant and annoying is claims to superiority; “this is the hardest” OR “that’s the hardest” 🙄🙄🙄 seriously, can you get anymore prepubescent annoying? And if you haven’t done something you really don’t know how hard it is... it may not be THAT hard!

Think you're missing the point

That claim, being the "hardest", is mostly done in the context of a discussion if a freestyle competition should award more handle pass based maneuvers, or board off variations. In this discussion is totally legit to address degree of difficulty

JustAGirl
Medium Poster

Postby JustAGirl » Thu May 03, 2018 11:26 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:57 pm
JustAGirl wrote:

That claim, being the "hardest", is done in the context of a discussion if a freestyle competition should award more handle pass based maneuvers, or board off variations. In this discussion is totally legit to address degree of difficulty
Actually that’s exactly what I had in mind... it was the bis issue at KOTA this year... so, sorry, but I‘m not missing the point. I watched the way the discussion was pushed in that direction from a more general display of skill in multiple disciplines. KOTA was also moved to a different spot where the waves are higher & included more styles. And the wakestylers were unhappy. But it was totally fair. I‘m no fan of boardoffs either & find them just as narrowminded as handle-passes, but the issue was bigger that a choice betw the two. Kevin worked with the conditions like a god; that’s why he won. Didn’t wine about the rules! I thought Jesse got shortchanged; he pulled some insane unheard of moves one could scarce call tricks, but Kevin was sovereign off the waves... I so did not miss the point ... I could rattle off their arguments by heart ..

MY POINT is there’s are multiple disciplines in kiteboarding that are equally demanding... sorry edt , but you dabbling in this or that doesn’t make you a pro in any one discipline, so you don’t know what pros do at their respective level... I understand wakestyle wants to be crowned king of the disciplines but ppl like Jesse & Nick continue to show us there are more radical ways to push the sport, not just handlepasses & boardoffs, which are just repetitive...

JustAGirl
Medium Poster

Postby JustAGirl » Thu May 03, 2018 11:41 pm

P.S. BTW I have huge respect for Lewis & Hadlow; they’ve risked their bones for the sport, hats down, but as a pro in a very different field, I can only recommend they take it further & in new directions; getting stuck on old tricks & laurels is easy but can impede development; I’m curious to see which way they go; I’m not curious to see more of the same; they are amazing athletes & can do a lot for the sport & our entertainment; no need to get boxed in a handlepass ...

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Thu May 03, 2018 11:57 pm

I respect all disciplines. And in general love the attitude of kiters towards each other.
I must say that in the rare cases where I have unpleasant experiences with other kiters it is more often than average wakestyle types...
Just an observation... Why would that be?
And oh.. the wakestylers are a small minority over here...

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:29 am

JustAGirl wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 11:26 pm
Tiago1973 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:57 pm
JustAGirl wrote:

That claim, being the "hardest", is done in the context of a discussion if a freestyle competition should award more handle pass based maneuvers, or board off variations. In this discussion is totally legit to address degree of difficulty
Actually that’s exactly what I had in mind... it was the bis issue at KOTA this year... so, sorry, but I‘m not missing the point. I watched the way the discussion was pushed in that direction from a more general display of skill in multiple disciplines. KOTA was also moved to a different spot where the waves are higher & included more styles. And the wakestylers were unhappy. But it was totally fair. I‘m no fan of boardoffs either & find them just as narrowminded as handle-passes, but the issue was bigger that a choice betw the two. Kevin worked with the conditions like a god; that’s why he won. Didn’t wine about the rules! I thought Jesse got shortchanged; he pulled some insane unheard of moves one could scarce call tricks, but Kevin was sovereign off the waves... I so did not miss the point ... I could rattle off their arguments by heart ..

MY POINT is there’s are multiple disciplines in kiteboarding that are equally demanding... sorry edt , but you dabbling in this or that doesn’t make you a pro in any one discipline, so you don’t know what pros do at their respective level... I understand wakestyle wants to be crowned king of the disciplines but ppl like Jesse & Nick continue to show us there are more radical ways to push the sport, not just handlepasses & boardoffs, which are just repetitive...
If you had the context then I'm the one who is missing the point why are you "annoyed"

What do you think it should be the criteria to evaluate what they do in Kota, and how would you rank those criteria? For sure risk and difficulty need to be part of that discussion

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri May 04, 2018 1:07 am

Just look at their forum on here or their own dedicated forum site that will not be named. Yeah I'd say it was a fad.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster

Postby JustAGirl » Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 am

Like I said Tiago, I‘m not annoyed when pros discuss their trade, but I am allergic to minionship. It’s annoying to hear from wannabes over and over again that wakestyle is the holy grail of kiteboarding when it isn’t... I also want to see top wakestylers push the boundaries a little... some of these tricks just require mindless repetitive mechanization without the possibility of further development... like the Terminator who keeps coming back improved & the same, fighting his own inevitable obsolescence ! it’s boring, that’s all, and boring is annoying... btw, this is a challenge for all disciplines that build on routine ... and it’s the reason I like Core; they are not afraid to branch out, take risks & shake things up, every new kite does something different & unexpected & no, I’m not here to promote... I just like that work STYLE, I like that mentality.. is that so bad?... just my humble observations; in kiteboarding I‘m just a professional spectator; it’s very amusing and I like to keep it that way, AMUSING, not uptight

Return to “Kitesurfing”