Bracuru Hover board - Excellent !

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Bracuru Hover board - Excellent !

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi

I had talked with Marek Bracuru about his boards, and decided to go for it as my new "marginal wind" perfect board (not knowing how it would work though...)

150 x 55 cm.

Got it in march, winter and snow here - but the first thing that stroke me was it was 3,0 kg only.

That means, it FEELS like a much smaller board, when on the water.

So if one wanted to, this board could be a "one board for everything" :thumb:

It is quite special - superlight yes, but also quite short but with a superwide nose, and thick, loads of volume so strong and stiff despite being superlight.

Also, the top is very flat all over (the best for your feet), but the nose has a lot of "scoop" on the bottom, meaning it is easy to land jumps or recover ventilations.

The design feature that is the determining factor IMO, making it the ultimate lightwind foilboard, is the bottom with its "Catamaran" shape - see here:

Bracuru.jpg

What does it do ?
Well, apart from giving more and lighter glide to get up in marginal winds, it has a distinct feature, namely the fact that it "sticks" to the water sideways, meaning your board does not turn downwind by itself when you loop the kite.
This has the (unexpected) effect, that you get a lot more power and pull in the lines, so you can get up and going in marginal winds, as the board will keep the lines tighter, just like if you stand on the bottom, you can get a lot more pull from the kite, than when drifting in the water :naughty:

For jumping it is spot on, low weight, and the nose will touch down safer and easy.

Even for having fun in the waves it works, because of its light weight you dont notice its size !
Only in a lot of wind where you lean deep into the carve, you can have issues with its width (havent tried that yet, but it MUST be so).

On the first day of riding, I HAD to get out, eventhough more than sufficient wind for a light wind foilboard - it was snow and cold:

04.jpg

It does not seem that big really, compare to my Ketos 118 cm board - but it IS in terms of volume and how low you can go, great !

In april, walked down to my local beach enjoying the first barefeet session now:

20.jpg

Awesome to see the sun for the first time really giving the water its beautiful colours

22.jpg

And having fun with 360s and everything is just really easy, as you dont feel the board because of its light weight.

30.jpg

Another shot another day of the board:

4.jpg

I will say it is the very best marginal wind board I can imagine, and have ever seen - with the added bonus that it can be used as an allround board and not just as a "need to take this one" for marginal winds :rollgrin:

Had to ride and test it a few months, till I would give my review - I have paid for it (and got the Ketos box mounted but whatever one wants should be possible) so would not recommend it unless I really fell in love - but I have :heartface:

Marek and Wictor are "geniuses" IMO, respect !

I can ride with a 12 m2 LEI (Storm Voyager Limited Edition 2018) in 6 knots with my bigger Ketos wings, so have almost dropped using my foilkites that can go only a slightly tad lower, but with a huge risk of having a swim if less than 6 knots.

There are multiple footstrap positions, and the deck is really awesome super non-slip surface without heavy pads.

31.jpg

I love riding smaller boards in higher winds and waves, and got several, but if I only wanted one board, this one would be it :thumb:

Raceboards got some of the same qualities, superlightweight, stiff, and some volume.
BUT, they are narrow, and not easy to ride on the surface as the bottom is opposite, round - so in many ways not the same and a lot more difficult so not the max marginal wind choice.

Bracuru boards are not a brand mass producing boards, on the contrary they are both riders by heart and do it out of love - but I must say I can only recommend this board in any size, for everyone, if in any way possible to get your hands on :rollgrin:

8) PF

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Re: Bracuru Hover board - Excellent !

Postby DukeSilver » Sun May 06, 2018 1:15 am

Thanks for the review PF. That is a really great looking board. Kudos to the builders.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun May 06, 2018 4:59 am

Completely understand the extra grip provided by the catamaran shape on waterstarts, the difference is noticeable even between a flat shaped board with hard rails and one with rails heavily bevelled.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 06, 2018 5:51 am

Somewhat disconnected thoughts
- Nice sales pitch
- I'd say "if I have to have only one board, this one would be my last pick probably"
- "easy to travel with". Really? 150x55cm won't fit into most golf bags. There are Door twintips smaller than this board :)
- "walked down the local beach" - because it didn't fit into car, right?
- on the "transition photo" what is that fat trail on water looking like you touched down. I'm sure you can ride better to not touching down. Wrong wings choice?
- "catamaran bottom"? Is it for folks who foil, like foil actually above water or it has advanced shaping for those who can't foil but kinda buy foil so they feel "cool"
- you "paid for this"? Because of museum value or in hope they won't be able to make another one like that?
- "not a race board" but let's sand it and give it a race board look and feel. I know some people can't get their hearts away from formula raceboards but I'm sure a board like that will get you any chick born before 1947. Sexy grandmotherf*@#er it is!
- them foil manufacturers have invented LW wings already which you can ride with a skateboard deck. Rather than paying for a horror like this it might be cheaper to get proper wings to ride in LW
- that feeling of pushing a clear tradition pad with your bare knees - priceless. Not as sharp as Majha lines but yet another reason not to come near it
- amount of material and budget is probably equivalent to consumption of minor island nation GDP. Almost as cool, economical and making sense as a 19m LEI kite but not quite so.
- overall it's not as cool as a windsurf board and as timely product as a "C" kite. Thumbs up (the @ss?)

Dude, really. Manufacturers realized already they've been wrong pushing too much race gear and completely missing out on freeride market share and they're molding large wings like crazy now. Foiling is about to replace twintips as it did replace formula board nightmare and kids are going to want to ride like Fred Hope and Greg Drexler. And they're going to want sexy, compact products, not catamaran-sized decks (or titties)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 06, 2018 7:54 am

Yeah, I guess I can be a mean ass. I got called out that it nowhere said "easy to travel with". Must have been impression I got but in no way I can fit it into MY car without disassembly. I can fit 42" board on the width (and 105cm mast plus wings on the length) or I can fit 91cm mast on the width (of the trunk).

Pretty workmanship for sure, respect to board builders!

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sun May 06, 2018 10:47 am

grigorib wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 7:54 am
Yeah, I guess I can be a mean ass.
PF has a great contribution to this forum and from this to the HF scene in general.
(I'm very grateful for the knowledge he offered here out of his free time)
Having followed his posts, I'm quite sure that he's just sharing his opinion and impression and that he wouldn't praise something he doesn't like.
Yes, If he likes a product, yes it will should like promoting it.

Yes, we can all have different opinions but I find your post just provocative and totally disrespectful to somebody who does not deserve that.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 06, 2018 10:49 am

The board(s) has been evolved over the years I can see now when searching older threads.

Some pics are missing but one gets the idea: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2384026

Can see that I was intrigued by the design but came away from it.
Then late 2017 I was curious about if such a wide and thick board with the catamaran rails could work strapless in say 6 knots (waterstarting that is), so bought a board I got here in feb/march, and found out the marginal wind waterstart DOES work strapless, awesome as I was sceptical at first how it would handle when on its side.
And the thing that it helps keeping power in your kiteloop/dive in marginal winds was a positive surprise I did not expect :D
Got it with plugs for being able to jump strapped if I want, eventhough rare.

I ride really small and thin boards mostly, but in light and marginal winds, board size matters a lot, and not only wing size.
So because another foiler asked about a board for a heavier rider in light winds in another thread, I put up my current experiences with the Bracuru Hover board I have had till now :thumb:
Of course it will sound like a sales talk - but this is how it always goes when one is thrilled and overjoyed about something, so no reason to hide this.

We got many days with wind under 8 knots here, where a bigger wing alone wont make it work, so I am happy with this board.
Surprised how the feel is almost like a smaller board because of its low weight and swingweight.

Another thing - it is great to sit on when drifting ashore if the wind dies, and I have had luck relaunching after fifteen minutes in a small gust instead of drifting several miles to shore in a few knots of wind only.
And one can put it on its back foil up from the water, when looping a kite to walk ashore, so the foil does not get scratched on the bottom - it is quite practical but does not work well if chop waves.

Some dont want lightwind boards, that is fine.

But we are many who loves riding on summerdays in really light wind too, apart from the windy bigger wavedays on foils.

So will share my stoke over this design :rollgrin:

8) Peter

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun May 06, 2018 1:34 pm

grigorib wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:51 am
Somewhat disconnected thoughts
- Nice sales pitch
- I'd say "if I have to have only one board, this one would be my last pick probably"
- "easy to travel with". Really? 150x55cm won't fit into most golf bags. There are Door twintips smaller than this board :)
- "walked down the local beach" - because it didn't fit into car, right?
- on the "transition photo" what is that fat trail on water looking like you touched down. I'm sure you can ride better to not touching down. Wrong wings choice?
- "catamaran bottom"? Is it for folks who foil, like foil actually above water or it has advanced shaping for those who can't foil but kinda buy foil so they feel "cool"
- you "paid for this"? Because of museum value or in hope they won't be able to make another one like that?
- "not a race board" but let's sand it and give it a race board look and feel. I know some people can't get their hearts away from formula raceboards but I'm sure a board like that will get you any chick born before 1947. Sexy grandmotherf*@#er it is!
- them foil manufacturers have invented LW wings already which you can ride with a skateboard deck. Rather than paying for a horror like this it might be cheaper to get proper wings to ride in LW
- that feeling of pushing a clear tradition pad with your bare knees - priceless. Not as sharp as Majha lines but yet another reason not to come near it
- amount of material and budget is probably equivalent to consumption of minor island nation GDP. Almost as cool, economical and making sense as a 19m LEI kite but not quite so.
- overall it's not as cool as a windsurf board and as timely product as a "C" kite. Thumbs up (the @ss?)

Dude, really. Manufacturers realized already they've been wrong pushing too much race gear and completely missing out on freeride market share and they're molding large wings like crazy now. Foiling is about to replace twintips as it did replace formula board nightmare and kids are going to want to ride like Fred Hope and Greg Drexler. And they're going to want sexy, compact products, not catamaran-sized decks (or titties)
You are quite a fella. Wrong side of the bed? dropped on your head as a kid? Bullied in the school yard?

I have also gone in this direction and am loving my choice. Some volume, race shape but with width, extensive carbon and reinforced deck due to my T60 getting heel dents from boosting, volume up front for when needed, good rocker for saves and surface transitions. Handles well on the water on touch downs and has volume for inevitable self rescues. If you want one board and be able to ride race wings all the way up to the big stuff like 633 then I believe in this path.

Of course feel free to say I have my head up my ass....as seems to be your inclination.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Sun May 06, 2018 2:51 pm

cwood wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:34 pm

You are quite a fella. Wrong side of the bed? dropped on your head as a kid? Bullied in the school yard?
Pleasantries started with Peter’s reply to my suggestion of a large wing set
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 pm
See this thread for one option at least: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2399509

The board is way more important than the wing
Dont believe in those saying it does not matter, and it is only the wing that matters, as this is pure bullshit, honestly, it does NOT work like that... :roll:

Ciao from Peter 8)
I kind of don’t like my opinion being called “pure bullshit” and in a few sarcastic words I tried to point out that hydrofoiling is about flying, not about using the deck as a door board.

I know racing is a different animal, and you need to be able to go fast and finish the first - therefore very special equipment - super light but bulky and unpractical for general audience. Different kites, different boards, different wings - and it’s all good, until race gear is presented as a solution to LW freeride.

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Sun May 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Actually I remember one of your heroes, Greg, saying the same thing like Peter when talking about his board. Do you want me to find it for you?

Return to “Hydrofoil”