Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The end of IKA, GKA and World sailing ( involvement with kiting)?

Forum for kitesurfers
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: The end of IKA, GKA and World sailing ( involvement with kiting)?

Postby james » Tue May 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Buyer of patent goes to prison...

So? Doesn’t mean he can’t keep it.

As for touting that petition, what’s the goal? As in what’s the end game? The feel good once kiting has split even further?

Why promote division all for someone else’s financial gain, the IFKO ain’t a charity. Neither is world sailing but they don’t pretend to be.

All the people getting upset about this niche section of kiting wanting to be part of the Olympics, so what? Why is it so important that you stop them?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 pm

this was my comment when i signed the petition

We are kiters not sailors. We pilot a wing.

If the wind dies, our kites, that use lines, fall out of the sky into the water.

The majority of severe injuries and deaths in kiting are as a result of being thrown or dragged by our kite/wing. In fact a high percentage of these accidents happen before we even get on the water.

“World Sailing is the world governing body of all forms of kiteboarding on the water” This is a sick joke right?

Kiting had been around for a long time even with its own world championships long before World sailing looked to steal our sport, in order to increase potential olympic viewing numbers to please the IOC.

So World Sailing invents an absurd new format of kiting with IKA for viewership appeal, a young girl loses her finger in kite lines. 200 + rescues at another of their youth events. Riders fear for their safety of getting stuck in a deathloop (kites stuck together looping fast dragging riders uncontrollably sometime disabling safety systems or dragging in such a way that the user cannot quick release - have been many drownings like this) with other rider/s. There were youth involved that had only been kiting for months. A basic principle of kiting is distance is your friend and here you have highly inexperienced riders being encourage to get as close together as possible in a completely dumb made up format to appease IOC viewership numbers.

Be it on your head World Sailing. You take on another sport, you accept huge liability. Kiters know best how to risk manage their own sport.

I entered a wave riding kite comp a couple of weeks ago and found out World Sailing sanctioned it. Another joke right, what, am i going to go to my local sailing club and go kite racing where it is unsafe to launch my kite, ask them to organise a wave riding comp, a freestyle comp. This is madness. It also puts sailing clubs under huge liability risk to organise something that they cannot safely manage.

World Sailing killed our kiting freestyle world tour, they will take event organisers (kiters) to court for using the term world champion (we had world championships for years before world sailing stuck their beaks in). They created “banned events” so by dangling a carrot of olympic glory riders were afraid to enter rival kiter run events for fear of being banned.

Huge liability risk for world sailing/sailing clubs/ sailing managing a different sport with completely different safety requirements. Experienced kiters will best risk manage their own sport and take it in the best direction.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am

I guess the French didn’t get the memo then....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PgqW57mYrj8

Mixed ages abilities off shore wind mass start mixed equipment, no one died.

Holy shit they even had fun and not a WS flag or organiser in sight. Maybe just maybe the fear of draconian laws controlling everything isn’t quite what you have been lead to believe?

Again what’s the pay back to the indevidual wave/freerider or freestyler getting kiting out of the Olympics?

Your point about wings... what did team Newzeland use on thier foiler to win the AC? Pretty sure that was a wing;-)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 pm
We are kiters not sailors. We pilot a wing.
Professional pilot here. Hate to say it but kiteboard is much much closer to sailing then to being an actual real pilot. IMPO

Jason

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 09, 2018 9:50 am

As well as aeroplane pilots, pilots include: paragliders, hangliders, gliders, speedgliders, and power/traction kiters.

Kite history shows that kiters have been refered to as pilots from the very beginning of kiteboarding. Aircraft pilots specifically have been posting their opinions on keeping safe on this forum for years. Because they understand the careful considerations on being in control of a wing, are weather experts ( when not to go and fly when you dont actually want too!), and are great at risk management.. all things that differentiate kiting ( a wing with vertical uplift) from sailing.

Most deaths and severe injuries in kiting are as result of the kite/wing uplifting the rider, losing flight control, and slamming the rider back down.

To control the kite we change the aoa, steering direction, and power ( depower).

Piloting the kite/wing is integral to keeping kiters safe - it is the most important safety factor, something sailing does not need to address, because they use sails.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 am

Top legal opinion (Americas cup lawyer.. about as expensive as money can get!?) has just been sought in England. The opinion - Under English Law kiteboarding does not fall under World Sailing.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/204417/ ... -inclusion

------------
Remember this?

"Any event run by the World Kiteboarding League may only be viewed as a private entity and does not have any world cup status" World Sailing.

-------

Look who think they are in charge of your sport.. racing, waveriding, freestyle, big air.. well everything lol!
kitesportsstructure.jpg

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 09, 2018 11:54 am

The icing on the cake...

This week at Chelsea Football Club in England ( where better for such an important decision about kiting lol) World Sailing will take over 100 sumissions. It looks like their plan for potential olympic viewership stealing kiteboarding had spectacularly backfired.... Sailors don' t actually want kiters as part of world sailing, at their sailing clubs, or taking a share of the funding they get. Pretty simple really.

Americas Cup boats with a kite and no masts?.. lol kiteboats r cool but this just wouldnt be allowed to happen under world sailing.

what next.. the saga continues.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 am
Top legal opinion (Americas cup lawyer.. about as expensive as money can get!?) has just been sought in England. The opinion - Under English Law kiteboarding does not fall under World Sailing.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/204417/ ... -inclusion

------------
Remember this?

"Any event run by the World Kiteboarding League may only be viewed as a private entity and does not have any world cup status" World Sailing.

-------

Look who think they are in charge of your sport.. racing, waveriding, freestyle, big air.. well everything lol!

kitesportsstructure.jpg
So that local wave comp you wanted to enter but got upset about? because it wasnt granted World Cup status? Or it was an event run by the world kite boarding league?

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Wed May 09, 2018 12:35 pm

That article says “informal legal opinion”. Not law, not legally binding, it’s an opinion that’s all.

He also states windsurfing isn’t sailing

Also that the sail isn’t the deciding factor as to what and what isn’t sailing so where does that leave the “we have wings not sails” thing you were on about?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm

So most kiters dont want this ( i understand why some of those having invested in kite racing with olympic potential do .. it has to be a very small number though), most sailors dont want this, and a sailing lawyer (opinion) says if you are using a board you are not sailing and therefore not under world sailing.

You couldnt make this 5hit up

(Personally I would add my argument/evidence too, to make it further removed from sailing than simply the use of a board making it not sailing.)

I'm actually going kiting , er sailing.. lol

I am going to unwrap my 25m long string mast from my tiller, inflate my sail, attach my body directly to my 25m string mast, carry my hull to the water and helm my way to partake in the expression sailing format (wtf!) of wavekiting. I hope not to capsize when i pull into a sick 6ft barrel so that i can vertically attack( fins out) the next section only to be told by world sailing to give way to starboard to the oncoming optimist dinghy. I pull out of the wave missing a sick down the line section where i was going to stomp a mean as strapless front 3 late 360 pop shuv......and capsize, my mast wraps around my body and drags me under the water then my kite loops and flys me 30ft though the air as toby performs an illegal boardoff to barefoot over the top of me while competing in the non world sailing sanctioned world ( illegal) airstyle championships. Bruno Leganoux, Franz Olry and Robby Naish are sitting on the beach looking particularly confused, watching as the sailing unfolds.

Return to “Kitesurfing”